Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)

Old Jan 11, 2004, 01:48 PM   #1
rtype
macrumors newbie

recommend a keyboard for garageband?

What are some good keyboard options for garageband that are somewhat affordable? Assume that I'll be using the keyboard exclusively with a Powerbook and Garageband via USB or midi.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 01:58 PM   #2
latergator116
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to latergator116
The on apple is reselling on their website looks good. Thats the one ill be getting. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....8.1.2.0.0.1.0
latergator116 is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2004, 02:06 PM   #3
rtype
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by latergator116
The on apple is reselling on their website looks good. Thats the one ill be getting. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....8.1.2.0.0.1.0
I'm actually watching the keynote now so I just saw Steve metnion reselling that keyboard... but is it any good?
Old Jan 11, 2004, 02:09 PM   #4
latergator116
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to latergator116
It looks pretty basic, but good quality. Im not very advanced so it will be just fine for me. Im actually starting to take piano lessons next week. I took them for about a year, but I am starting back up again.
latergator116 is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2004, 03:28 PM   #5
absurdio
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to absurdio
M-Audio actually makes a whole bunch of neat stuff. I've had my eye on the Oxygen 8 for some time; the introduction of Garage Band just makes me hunger for it even more. A little more advanced (and a little more pricey) but even more lust-worth is the Ozone . That's outside my budget, at the moment, but I can dream, can't I? As far as prices go, both of those can be found much more cheaply than the M-Audio site, but i thought that'd be a good place to link to for the sake of info.
Both of those are smaller keyboards than the one Apple is reselling, but, as you mentioned you have a Powerbook (as I do), their smaller size would also make them much more portable in the even that you ever get into doing live stuff or whatever else.
For that, M-Audio also makes a cute little backpack that's perfectly suited to carrying one of those 25-key keyboards and a powerbook.

As for myself, I'm leaning very strongly towards the Oxygen 8. I hope that helps and doesn't complicate the search for you.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 03:42 PM   #6
rtype
macrumors newbie

I don't really "understand" the 25 key keyboards? I imagine you hold a shift key or something to get to the other octaves?

I found the MAudio Keystation 49e for $80 at Macmall and I wanted to order the RadioShark anyway so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I figure $80 isn't that much to spend to figure out whether I'll use it enough to justify something better.

My friend has a Yamaha P50 which is what I really wanted. It's a very basic 88 key keyboard with really nice action and a good built in piano-like sound but its retail is $1600 and even at the most discounted runs about $1000 + tax/shipping. So I was trying to come up with what I could do for less than that. Maybe if I get really into it, I'll do the P50 later but it's certainly not as small as the Keystation or the Oxygen and Ozone.

As for the backpacks... it'd have to hold both the Powerbook and the midi keyboard to be truly useful.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 06:01 PM   #7
neut
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally posted by rtype
I don't really "understand" the 25 key keyboards? I imagine you hold a shift key or something to get to the other octaves?
there is an octave up/down key.

edirol makes the best controllers, edirol usb/MIDI keyboards

they can also control VJ software.

peace.

btw- any old casio/yamaha with MIDI will work too (if you also have a MIDI interface).
Uncle Bud
neut is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2004, 06:41 PM   #8
absurdio
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to absurdio
I don't know too much about it, so forgive me if this is a stupid question... but how do the eridol controllers compare to the m-audio controllers? i mean what makes one better than another?

I hadn't seen it before, but this Evolution controller looks pretty sweet by virtue of it being pretty customizable.

I dunno. What do you think, neut?
Old Jan 11, 2004, 07:04 PM   #9
neut
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally posted by absurdio
I don't know too much about it, so forgive me if this is a stupid question... but how do the eridol controllers compare to the m-audio controllers? i mean what makes one better than another?

<snip> ...Evolution controller looks pretty sweet by virtue of it being pretty customizable.

I dunno. What do you think, neut?
the edirols are well built (edirol is Roland) and they send ALL MIDI signals (most controllers send limited MIDI).

i've heard that evolution is ok, good customization.

this is supposed to be very slick (if you don't have fat fingers): microKontrol

the microKorg is a very nice keyboard, so i would assume the Kontrol operates just as well.

peace.
Uncle Bud
neut is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2004, 08:24 PM   #10
kjdenison
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to kjdenison
keyboard

Go with a Korg Triton wonderful keyboard. In my eyes it is the best you can buy. Check it out at www.musiciansfriend.com or www.americanmusicalsupply.com You will love it.
kjdenison is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2004, 08:35 PM   #11
neut
macrumors 68000

Re: keyboard

Quote:
Originally posted by kjdenison
Go with a Korg Triton wonderful keyboard. In my eyes it is the best you can buy.
the triton is a mini studio...much more than your typical GB user will need. pretty expensive as a controller and you will need a MIDI in to get GB too recognize it (for controller use...it has no USB). it is a very nice keboard, but a bit of an over-kill. i personally hate to use keyboards that have complete songs in one key...

peace.
Uncle Bud
neut is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2004, 08:47 PM   #12
barrettd
macrumors regular

Keystation 49e enough for GB?

I'm going to get the new iLife, and I have a G4 Powerbook Ti. If I get the Keystation 49 e, for example, will that be all I need to get midi sound into my PB, or will I need any add'l. stuff? I assumed the USB connection would provide all of the input to the PB that I'll need. Is that correct? Thanks in advance!

BD
barrettd is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:20 PM   #13
neut
macrumors 68000

Re: Keystation 49e enough for GB?

Quote:
Originally posted by barrettd
I assumed the USB connection would provide all of the input to the PB that I'll need. Is that correct? Thanks in advance!

BD
yup.

peace.
Uncle Bud
neut is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)