Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AlleyInsider reports that RBC analyst Mike Abramsky is projecting that Apple will ship 3.04 million Macs in the current quarter than ranges from July to September.

If accurate, this would represent 41% year-over-year growth for Mac sales for the company. Apple's short term outlook also looks remarkably positive as well as AppleInsider reports that the analyst found in a survey that "34 percent of respondents intend to purchase a Mac notebook in the next 90 days, while another 30 percent plan to buy a Mac desktop."

The strong quarterly sales are attributed to both the Back to School promotion as well as an iPhone "halo effect". The halo effect describes an increased tendency for customers to purchase a Mac after first buying an iPhone. The term was first used in conjunction with Apple when describing a similar effect that iPod has had on Mac sales.

For students interested in buying a new Mac at this time, the expiring Back to School promotion presents a bit of a dilemma. Apple is currently offering a new iPod Touch with most Mac purchases until September 15th. Rumors, however, predict that Apple will introduce new laptops as well as a new iPod Touch shortly after the end of the promotion.

Article Link

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
2 words, 1 letter, and one smiley:

Jesus H. Christ. :eek:

That is a humongous number of Macs to sell, allied to iPhone sales, and revenue from iTunes.

Didn't they give very conservative guidance for this quarter?

philsuarez

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2007
Essex, UK
Re Apple Quarter sales

Hi
Surely lots of people like myself are waiting for new models to be released. Apple will have to revise models soon if they want to catch this quarter.
Phil

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Considering a lot of my friends are buying Macs these days--when we talk of buying a new computer, everything is saving up for the apples. I'm not particularly surprised that they are expecting a bit jump in revenue.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Lol put me in the halo effect category. After getting my first iPod and then iPhone I have been looking into getting a Mac. I have wanted one for about 6 years and that dream is hopefully going to become a reality this September.

phatcat

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Tough call.

Buy macbook now and get an old but dependable design.

or buy new gen and experience rev A problems.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Didn't they give very conservative guidance for this quarter?

As always. I believe they were even more conservative than usual this past quarter, due to the slowing economy worldwide. Even so, amazingly enough, a lot of people still take Apple's guidance at face value.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Tough call.

Buy macbook now and get an old but dependable design.

or buy new gen and experience rev A problems.

Are MacBooks considered dependable? I have had a number of problems, not as many as with an iBook I had, but more than I had with my PowerBook G4 12".

I've had close to enough repairs for my MacBook to be replaced and actually hope it gets replaced with a different, new model. By now they've taken out and replaced almost every internal component and it still has problems. The problem too with repairs is that I feel like the computer is always destined to have more problems after having been opened up and worked on.

bgomez15

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
September 15??? apple page indicates October 15

To get the rebate claim for the free ipod the apple website states that customers must submit the claim by October 15, 2008... though it seems it would make more sense that the promotion ends in september if the mac and ipod revisions are to come by then.:confused:

This is the link to the apple page. Read the 3rd step on How To get your free iPod on the right side of the page.

http://www.apple.com/backtoschool/?cid=WWW-NAUS-BTS20080530-OSA9M

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
To get the rebate claim for the free ipod the apple website states that customers must submit the claim by October 15, 2008...

You have to buy before September 15th. You have to submit the paperwork by Oct 15.

arn

nayxn2nayxn

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
To get the rebate claim for the free ipod the apple website states that customers must submit the claim by October 15, 2008... though it seems it would make more sense that the promotion ends in september if the mac and ipod revisions are to come by then.:confused:

This is the link to the apple page. Read the 3rd step on How To get your free iPod on the right side of the page.

You have to buy the mac+ipod by Sept. 15. Then, after that, you have a month to claim your rebate(s). Otherwise, if you buy after the ultimatum of Sept. 15, you will not receive your rebate.

Edit. i guess we answered at the same time haha

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
I love it! This truly is great news! :D :cool:

I second that !!!

Bring on the new dual 16-core, 6.5GHz, 32GB RAM with a 12TB hard drive MBP I've been waiting for !!! Oh, right...it's only 2008, what am I thinking...:D... That's next year's model.....:D:D:D:D

todd2fst4u

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008

promotion ends september 15th. you then have 1 month, october 15th, to submit for the rebate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.