Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
So first of all, I promise I am not creating this thread to promote my site, but I'll need to list it so you I can show you the evidence. The site is for my college improv group, and it looks fine as I designed it on iWeb, but the results are different on Safari and on Firefox. I've tried it on different computers too, with the same erratic results.

For instance, the first attached picture is how part of my site looks within iWeb; the second screenshot is within Safari. Similar issue with screenshots 3 and 4 - #3 is within iWeb, and #4 is that same page in Firefox.

Any solutions? And do you see screwed-up fonts and photos when you go to www.starlaandsons.com? As a reference point, no text should be obscured, nothing should look weird at all - in iWeb, everything looks normal and consistent.

p.s. I'm using CyberDuck to upload the site - are there more reliable apps for this purpose, could that be the problem?

thanks for your help :)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    208.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    164.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 77

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
What you are seeing unfortunately is the results of the different page rendering "engines" in different browsers which causes a myriad of different problems. Text is a particular sore point for a lot of Firefox users for example- but does not hold a candle to all the problems with rendering in Internet Explorer 6 and 7 on Windows based systems. Since Microsoft in essence tried to establish and redefine the standard for how all browsers should render, they wound up making a LOT of websites display totally wacky. I have not tried your site on a Windows system yet, but I fear you are in for disappointment! I tried the old discontinued Internet Explorer for Mac and the selection menus don't even appear in it, but that is not a huge concern since that is such a small part of the browser universe.

The problems with IE 6 and 7 on Windows boxes are a potential problem though (as again you should test) since that is either the #1 or #2 most used browser (depending on which source you quote- some list Firefox as the most popular by a few percent). There are workarounds for most of the problems iWeb sites run into in alternate browsers- sometimes as simple as making a text box bigger or smaller, etc. but I would suggest you do some reading and perhaps repost your question over in the Apple Discussions Groups as they have a category dealing only with iWeb issues and answers. You can find it at:
http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=188

By the way- this is not just an iWeb issue BTW. A website will display somewhat differently depending on the browser when created with any site building app- RapidWeaver, SandVox and the rest- even the vaunted Dreamweaver. It just sometimes seems that iWeb's sites have more inconsistent display problems than some others. In spite of that, I still wind up using it for a lot of projects simply due to the ease of use!

BTW- No, the FTP app will not make any difference as long as it transfers all the files that have been published- and I have never heard of one that didn't!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.