Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
I'm trying very hard to keep my cool as I'm extremely pissed off at the moment. My experience with Apple's products in the last few weeks have been similar to Microsoft's. All the authentication issues with iTunes, MobileMe and now this damn iPod are driving me mental. I've searched the forum and the suggestions there have not helped.

I've had a similar incident before and managed to "virginize" it by holding the sleep and home buttons down simultaneously for 10 seconds, then letting go of the sleep button but continueing to hold the home button down until the phone goes into restore mode. That helped then but not now.

Is my iPod dead? I am able to shut it off but it just hangs on that damn logo. Funny thing is both iTunes and iPhoto load up when I connect the iPod but nothing happens. Ideas?

Joshua.

iProgrammer

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Ohio, United States
I had the exact same problem on my iTouch.
If you've already done the "virginize" trick and it doesn't help, my only advice would be to take it to an Apple store and see if they will fix it.

Pain

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Exact same problem. Except now Windows tells me that my USB has malfunctioned, and the USB Device isn't recongnized. Oh god. The trick isn't working either. It just turns my iPod off. I guess I'll have to take it to the store.

Link2999

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
If it's been more than 30mins, and you can't get into restore mode and restore your iPod, you'll need to bring it to the Genius Bar and get a replacement.

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
I had that same problem last night, where it would try to start up, then freeze on startup. I just had to plug it in and hold the home and lock buttons like crazy for 30 minutes, and it finally worked. I even had to download pwnage and use it to get my ipod into DFU mode. That way, it restored without a problem. I left it plugged in overnight to restore all my content, and it is fine now. I just didn't restore from backup because it may contain the bug that caused the hang on startup.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
On one, I couldn't get my iPhone into Restore mode by holding Home & Sleep/Wake button. But what did work, was shutting down, connecting it up to my Mac, while holding Home.

Might work on an iTouch too?

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
On one, I couldn't get my iPhone into Restore mode by holding Home & Sleep/Wake button. But what did work, was shutting down, connecting it up to my Mac, while holding Home.

Thats what I did, but I followed the way to get it into DFU mode, which is past recovery mode, by turning it off, holding both the home and lock buttons for 10 seconds, then letting go of the lock button and holding the home button until iTunes recognizes it. (It must be plugged in, and the screen will not turn on in DFU mode)

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
I too had this after 2.0.2. I put it into restore, restored the iPod and DIDN'T backup. I set the iPod as new and it's working fine now.

ksimm

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
This is just happening to my iPod Touch now.. I was browsing the store when it locked up, so I rebooted and it froze on the apple logo.

Rebooting, with both buttons isn't helping so I'm going to try iTunes restore if I can. :(

**Update**

Restoring worked... few! :eek:

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I too had this after 2.0.2. I put it into restore, restored the iPod and DIDN'T backup. I set the iPod as new and it's working fine now.

I just had this same exact problem as well and I had to restore as new instead of a backup. First I restored to backup, then I got the Apple logo again, so I went back into recovery and restored as new. Everything is fine now but I lost all of my Vay and SMB data, which totally ****ing blows. I was almost finished with Vay and SMB and had lot's of money in Vay :(

Hopefully this common problem will be fixed in 2.0.3/2.1 or whatever software is being released in September.

And now I'm going through the initial 6 hour backup process, YAY! :D

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
don't panic. it happened to me several times. what you have to do is just restore. turn off yours, and hold home button & connect with itunes, and wait. then you will see itunes logo & USB cord on your ipod touch. hit restore on itunes. that's all.

roooner

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009

Works on the iTouch, do the same thing, hold the home and power button until it shuts off then connect the power cable WHILE holding the home button. I did this using a PC and it worked fine, you will have to restore your iPod though. Good Luck!

simply smoots

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2010
thanks so much everybody ive been searching for a while on how to fix mine and this is the first forum to actually help. :). the key for me was letting go of the hold button after the ten seconds. i too have a PC and its working just fine.

oh and btw i dropped mine in a full tub of water before this and its still working fine.

Chuckieman1

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
Thanks Archurban

Hello, Thankyou for that post you did because i did it and it worked so yer my ipod all fixed :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

surferdarylle

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2010
i did everything that was posted here. i held down the home button, connected it to my laptop and hit restore on itunes. it said there that before restoring it has to download a software. it downloaded whatever software was needed but nothing happened. it shut off. i don't even know if it has been restored but when i turned the ipod on, it is still stuck on the apple logo. i tried doing it over again but nothing happened. now the laptop doesn't even recognize it. it won't even show up as a disk on my laptop and as well as on itunes. what do i do?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.