Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
I'll be setting up a Gigabit (Fibre maybe) network some time in the next year and I need to find out:

1: How many Gigabit ethernet ports can OS X handle? If 2-4 is the answer than wiring the office will be much cheaper.

2: What is an appropriate back-switch assembly for a business of 6-8 users with Broadband and an X-serve as it's file server/Firewall/Plotter server?

3: Where can I get Cat6 or Cat6 Fibre cable for any reasonable cost?

4: What does a reasonable cost, reliable Gigabit switch look like?

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I personally would only buy Cisco, because I no they are faster that other hubs, and if u have to link hubs they support Gigastack.

There is very little point in going Fibre it is not allllll that faster that copper, although it is faster.

I would advise going for ATM technology instead of Fibre, it is the best networking solution as it is true speed, for instance 100bs-t is really 25bs-t where as ATM 100bs-t os true 100bs-t.

Ensign

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I'd say that it could handle as ports as you want to install onto the computer. If you want to load up the PCI slots with Gigabit NIC's, go for it.

The cost of those would most likely be about the same as getting a Gigabit capable network switch. I heard from one of the sales people at mohawk memory/geek boutique (http://www.mohawkmem.com/) that they are able to get Cat 6 cables. Contact them and see what they can give you for pricing. You will need to figure out cable lengths too, so that you get enough, but not too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.