Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Earlet9
macrumors member

iPhone won't show up in My Computer

My iPhone will not show up in My Computer. It is charging but doesn't show up. Anyone know what to do?
Earlet9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:21 PM   #2
atszyman
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to atszyman
Do iPods and iPhones show up as disks automatically on Windows or do you have to go into iTunes preferences and check the "Enable Disk Use" box in iTunes?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	4658
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	131286  
atszyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:26 PM   #3
wronski
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by atszyman View Post
Do iPods and iPhones show up as disks automatically on Windows or do you have to go into iTunes preferences and check the "Enable Disk Use" box in iTunes?
iPhones don't even have that option.
wronski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:29 PM   #4
atszyman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wronski View Post
iPhones don't even have that option.
Well do iPods? I've never actually used my iPod on Windows. If that's the case and the iPhone doesn't have the option for disk mode it's entirely possible that it won't show up under the My Computer hierarchy.

But I'm far from an expert on iPods with Windows.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:35 PM   #5
08mxkfx
macrumors regular

iPhones dont show up in my computer. The only way you could use your iPhone as a storage device is to download an app like Files or Datacase from the app store.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Earlet9
macrumors member

Ok, well I have to get my music off of my iPhone... will these programs do this?
Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:41 PM   #7
08mxkfx
macrumors regular

no they will only allow you to tranfer files back and forth between or iPhone and computer. It doesnt have access to the music files. There are programs you can download that will take the music off your iPhone. Just google for them.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:42 PM   #8
Earlet9
macrumors member

Those programs cost too much or they don't even recognize my phone is connected. Can you trasnfer music from a jailbroken iPhone easily?
Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:49 PM   #9
abijnk
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to abijnk
Jailbreaking you phone would wipeout anything on it, so that wouldn't really help you. Sounds like your best bet is to keep trying different programs specifically made to get the music off your phone. There are many many different ones out there, keep trying. Good luck.
abijnk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:51 PM   #10
atszyman
macrumors 68020

Doesn't iTunes have a way to retrieve songs that are not already in the iTunes library off of an iPod or iPhone?
Old Aug 22, 2008, 04:55 PM   #11
wronski
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by atszyman View Post
Doesn't iTunes have a way to retrieve songs that are not already in the iTunes library off of an iPod or iPhone?
Only if they are purchased songs which sounds useless for retrieving all of your music. He needs to find the music retrieval desktop apps that work with iPhone.
wronski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:08 PM   #12
danny_w
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by wronski View Post
Only if they are purchased songs which sounds useless for retrieving all of your music. He needs to find the music retrieval desktop apps that work with iPhone.
And there aren't very many of those, at least not the last I checked.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:12 PM   #13
jciapara
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlet9 View Post
My iPhone will not show up in My Computer. It is charging but doesn't show up. Anyone know what to do?
Are you using USB or Firewire cable, with Firewire only charging is possible. Assuming that you're using the USB provided cable, then I don't know what the problem is. I just wanted to clarify in case you are using a firewire from a previous iPod (happened to me).

Cheers!
Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:18 PM   #14
philgilder
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jciapara View Post
Are you using USB or Firewire cable, with Firewire only charging is possible. Assuming that you're using the USB provided cable, then I don't know what the problem is. I just wanted to clarify in case you are using a firewire from a previous iPod (happened to me).

Cheers!
firewire charging is no longer supported by the iPhone 3G

see here as well
Old Aug 22, 2008, 05:55 PM   #15
skubish
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jciapara View Post

Cheers!
Wow don't confuse the OP with wrong information. The iPhone does not show up under My Computer ever. iPods will. iPhones do not.

Here is an app that will do it.
iPod Nano 8GB Blue
skubish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 06:01 PM   #16
Earlet9
macrumors member

Well thank you, I thought my iPhone had previously shown up in My Computer... Apparently I was wrong, thank you guys. I am trying this "iPhone Browser" now. Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2008, 06:09 PM   #17
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Try DiskAid.
http://www.digidna.net/diskaid/

The site also has a paid app caled TuneAid, which I gather automates the music import process, like renaming the files into something recognizable, but if you are ok with the files having those cryptic names, or have other programs that rename those files for you, then DiskAid will do the job of copying your music files off your iPhone.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:46 PM   #18
DuFFy
macrumors regular

To clarify something, iPhones do show up on My Computer, sayings they never do is false. Your iPhone will show up in My Computer but only allows you to access pictures, its shows up as a camera, and only if you have pictures in your Camera Roll

As far as the OP's problem, i dont know a way off the top of my head, just try looking for a program.
DuFFy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 03:13 PM   #19
AbbBabX
macrumors newbie

Red face (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skubish View Post
Wow don't confuse the OP with wrong information. The iPhone does not show up under My Computer ever. iPods will. iPhones do not.

Here is an app that will do it.

Actually it's true, I had the same problem. Turns out I had plugged the phone in with the wire that came with my video iPod. It wouldn't show up on my computer but would in iTunes. I simply swapped the wires over and wha-la it showed up. It only shows up as a camera device.
AbbBabX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 03:18 PM   #20
fireshot91
macrumors 601

The iPhone's camera roll shows up under My Computer. That's it though.
fireshot91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 07:46 AM   #21
Dmereness
macrumors newbie

Still no answer?

I know my iPhone showed up in my computer but only with pictures, that is where you pull them from to put on your computer.

Stupid phone works fine with the iTunes, but is not seen by the computer to get the pics off...

Nothing is working yet... Help...
Dmereness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:08 AM   #22
Redart98
macrumors newbie

Try to install http://iphonefolders.com/ - you'll get "iPhone Folders" in "My computer", then navigate to DCIM/100APPLE, there are your photos.
Redart98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:54 AM   #23
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmereness View Post
I know my iPhone showed up in my computer but only with pictures, that is where you pull them from to put on your computer.

Stupid phone works fine with the iTunes, but is not seen by the computer to get the pics off...

Nothing is working yet... Help...
Some people say a reset fixed it (press home and sleep until phone turns off). See this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=802403
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:49 PM   #24
ricake
macrumors newbie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlet9 View Post
I FIX IT!!!!!!!!

Well, it fix it self, this is what happend and I dont know if is something good or bad.

When I get my iphone, my cell company in México never change the voice-mails system from a no-iphone cell to an iphone, 2 moths later they change to the new voice-mail beacuse in Iphone u can see the voice message ( a list in your phone functions that the cell downloads it) but I never called to configure the settings for the new system.

The thing is, the day the voicemail stop working with the old system was the same day the camera stop "showing up" in my computer. I called Apple Support and no one knows what to do.

So, today i decide to configure the new voicemail system, the company add me in the new system, and told me to call a voice-mail number to configure the new settings, the thing is, while I was making this call, I had my iphone connected to the PC, and suddenly, the "Camera detected" window shows up, and YES, the Iphone Camera Icon was in my PC.

So, i know is crazy or stupid, but CONFIGURE OR RECONFIGURE your voice mail.

Now i "see" my message in the windows of my iphone and the iphone download the message and I listend as a message, I DONT NEED TO CALL MY VOICE MAIL TO LISTEN THE MESSAGE, the phone download them, but when I receive my Iphone the first time, i need to call.

It sounds crazy, I dont know if it was a coincidence or what.
ricake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 01:02 PM   #25
ricake
macrumors newbie

Red face Of course....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricake View Post
I FIX IT!!!!!!!!

Well, it fix it self, this is what happend and I dont know if is something good or bad.

When I get my iphone, my cell company in México never change the voice-mails system from a no-iphone cell to an iphone, 2 moths later they change to the new voice-mail beacuse in Iphone u can see the voice message ( a list in your phone functions that the cell downloads it) but I never called to configure the settings for the new system.

The thing is, the day the voicemail stop working with the old system was the same day the camera stop "showing up" in my computer. I called Apple Support and no one knows what to do.

So, today i decide to configure the new voicemail system, the company add me in the new system, and told me to call a voice-mail number to configure the new settings, the thing is, while I was making this call, I had my iphone connected to the PC, and suddenly, the "Camera detected" window shows up, and YES, the Iphone Camera Icon was in my PC.

So, i know is crazy or stupid, but CONFIGURE OR RECONFIGURE your voice mail.

Now i "see" my message in the windows of my iphone and the iphone download the message and I listend as a message, I DONT NEED TO CALL MY VOICE MAIL TO LISTEN THE MESSAGE, the phone download them, but when I receive my Iphone the first time, i need to call.

It sounds crazy, I dont know if it was a coincidence or what.

Of course, this last weekend, I had to reinstall my Iphone, I lost my vids and everythig.

TRY EVERYTHING, this is a BIG BUG from Apple.
ricake is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting