Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Earlet9

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
My iPhone will not show up in My Computer. It is charging but doesn't show up. Anyone know what to do?

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Do iPods and iPhones show up as disks automatically on Windows or do you have to go into iTunes preferences and check the "Enable Disk Use" box in iTunes?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 5,006

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
iPhones don't even have that option.

Well do iPods? I've never actually used my iPod on Windows. If that's the case and the iPhone doesn't have the option for disk mode it's entirely possible that it won't show up under the My Computer hierarchy.

But I'm far from an expert on iPods with Windows.

08mxkfx

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
iPhones dont show up in my computer. The only way you could use your iPhone as a storage device is to download an app like Files or Datacase from the app store.

Earlet9

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Ok, well I have to get my music off of my iPhone... will these programs do this?

08mxkfx

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
no they will only allow you to tranfer files back and forth between or iPhone and computer. It doesnt have access to the music files. There are programs you can download that will take the music off your iPhone. Just google for them.

Earlet9

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Those programs cost too much or they don't even recognize my phone is connected. Can you trasnfer music from a jailbroken iPhone easily?

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Jailbreaking you phone would wipeout anything on it, so that wouldn't really help you. Sounds like your best bet is to keep trying different programs specifically made to get the music off your phone. There are many many different ones out there, keep trying. Good luck.

wronski

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Doesn't iTunes have a way to retrieve songs that are not already in the iTunes library off of an iPod or iPhone?

Only if they are purchased songs which sounds useless for retrieving all of your music. He needs to find the music retrieval desktop apps that work with iPhone.

jciapara

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
My iPhone will not show up in My Computer. It is charging but doesn't show up. Anyone know what to do?

Are you using USB or Firewire cable, with Firewire only charging is possible. Assuming that you're using the USB provided cable, then I don't know what the problem is. I just wanted to clarify in case you are using a firewire from a previous iPod (happened to me).

Cheers!

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
Are you using USB or Firewire cable, with Firewire only charging is possible. Assuming that you're using the USB provided cable, then I don't know what the problem is. I just wanted to clarify in case you are using a firewire from a previous iPod (happened to me).

Cheers!
firewire charging is no longer supported by the iPhone 3G

see here as well

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Cheers!

Wow don't confuse the OP with wrong information. The iPhone does not show up under My Computer ever. iPods will. iPhones do not.

Here is an app that will do it.

Earlet9

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Well thank you, I thought my iPhone had previously shown up in My Computer... Apparently I was wrong, thank you guys. I am trying this "iPhone Browser" now. Thanks

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Try DiskAid.
http://www.digidna.net/diskaid/

The site also has a paid app caled TuneAid, which I gather automates the music import process, like renaming the files into something recognizable, but if you are ok with the files having those cryptic names, or have other programs that rename those files for you, then DiskAid will do the job of copying your music files off your iPhone.

DuFFy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
Phila
To clarify something, iPhones do show up on My Computer, sayings they never do is false. Your iPhone will show up in My Computer but only allows you to access pictures, its shows up as a camera, and only if you have pictures in your Camera Roll

As far as the OP's problem, i dont know a way off the top of my head, just try looking for a program.

AbbBabX

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
:)

Wow don't confuse the OP with wrong information. The iPhone does not show up under My Computer ever. iPods will. iPhones do not.

Here is an app that will do it.

Actually it's true, I had the same problem. Turns out I had plugged the phone in with the wire that came with my video iPod. It wouldn't show up on my computer but would in iTunes. I simply swapped the wires over and wha-la it showed up. It only shows up as a camera device.

Dmereness

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
Still no answer?

I know my iPhone showed up in my computer but only with pictures, that is where you pull them from to put on your computer.

Stupid phone works fine with the iTunes, but is not seen by the computer to get the pics off...

Nothing is working yet... Help...

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I know my iPhone showed up in my computer but only with pictures, that is where you pull them from to put on your computer.

Stupid phone works fine with the iTunes, but is not seen by the computer to get the pics off...

Nothing is working yet... Help...

Some people say a reset fixed it (press home and sleep until phone turns off). See this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/802403/

ricake

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009

I FIX IT!!!!!!!!

Well, it fix it self, this is what happend and I dont know if is something good or bad.

When I get my iphone, my cell company in México never change the voice-mails system from a no-iphone cell to an iphone, 2 moths later they change to the new voice-mail beacuse in Iphone u can see the voice message ( a list in your phone functions that the cell downloads it) but I never called to configure the settings for the new system.

The thing is, the day the voicemail stop working with the old system was the same day the camera stop "showing up" in my computer. I called Apple Support and no one knows what to do.

So, today i decide to configure the new voicemail system, the company add me in the new system, and told me to call a voice-mail number to configure the new settings, the thing is, while I was making this call, I had my iphone connected to the PC, and suddenly, the "Camera detected" window shows up, and YES, the Iphone Camera Icon was in my PC.

So, i know is crazy or stupid, but CONFIGURE OR RECONFIGURE your voice mail.

Now i "see" my message in the windows of my iphone and the iphone download the message and I listend as a message, I DONT NEED TO CALL MY VOICE MAIL TO LISTEN THE MESSAGE, the phone download them, but when I receive my Iphone the first time, i need to call.

It sounds crazy, I dont know if it was a coincidence or what.

ricake

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
Of course....

I FIX IT!!!!!!!!

Well, it fix it self, this is what happend and I dont know if is something good or bad.

When I get my iphone, my cell company in México never change the voice-mails system from a no-iphone cell to an iphone, 2 moths later they change to the new voice-mail beacuse in Iphone u can see the voice message ( a list in your phone functions that the cell downloads it) but I never called to configure the settings for the new system.

The thing is, the day the voicemail stop working with the old system was the same day the camera stop "showing up" in my computer. I called Apple Support and no one knows what to do.

So, today i decide to configure the new voicemail system, the company add me in the new system, and told me to call a voice-mail number to configure the new settings, the thing is, while I was making this call, I had my iphone connected to the PC, and suddenly, the "Camera detected" window shows up, and YES, the Iphone Camera Icon was in my PC.

So, i know is crazy or stupid, but CONFIGURE OR RECONFIGURE your voice mail.

Now i "see" my message in the windows of my iphone and the iphone download the message and I listend as a message, I DONT NEED TO CALL MY VOICE MAIL TO LISTEN THE MESSAGE, the phone download them, but when I receive my Iphone the first time, i need to call.

It sounds crazy, I dont know if it was a coincidence or what.

Of course, this last weekend, I had to reinstall my Iphone, I lost my vids and everythig.

TRY EVERYTHING, this is a BIG BUG from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.