Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angadkripa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
hi!! i bought a mbp one month ago and i am in love with it!! i had a toshiba laptop and i recently switched to mac os x,i am a dispatcher for geeksquad(when u call 1-800-geeksquad,i would answer and schedule appointments with an agent and do basic troubleshooting),anyways after hearing about how bad windows is day after day,i decided to get a mbp and i must say i just love it!!i still have to use windows for some programs i have and for school and i was wondering if i could use my toshiba laptop recovery discs to install windows on my mbp with boot camp? its win xp sp2 media center editon and i have 2 recovery discs and my mbp read them but im not sure if windows can be installed, will it work? or will it screw up my laptop?can anyone help?

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Its all down to how the manufacturer has laid out the recovery disk. If its a Dell style (WindowsOS on first disk and other bits on other disks) then you are ok (I use my Dell disk to put XP on my mac).

If the disks are proprietory (and locked to a specific HW ID) then no.

Most recovery disks should work fine due to Windows itself having a vast driver database in the OS.

Give it a try is the best way to find out.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
As noted by costabunny, if the disc is an actual Windows OS disc it will likely install. You will likely need a Toshiba OEM product key, which should be on the Windows sticker on the underside of the Toshiba laptop.

It may not activate over the internet, in which case you'll need to call Microsoft and activate over the phone. Just remember to tell them you have a Toshiba. :D

angadkripa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
yeah the the actually os is on the disc because it says windows media edition 2005 and it comes with 2 discs,and it says preinstalled on the computer and it also comes with a ms product key..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.