Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I could see how Soundtrack might need an update.

Choice:

1) Get GarageBand for almost nothing with a suite of 4 other brilliant apps (2 others of which are worth the price of this alone)

OR

2) pay 5 times as much for a program that can effectively do less.

Hmmm...

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
I could see how Soundtrack might need an update.

Choice:

1) Get GarageBand for almost nothing with a suite of 4 other brilliant apps (2 others of which are worth the price of this alone)

OR

2) pay 5 times as much for a program that can effectively do less.

Hmmm...

My thoughts exactly.

Granted, SoundTrack should have a few more features than GarageBand with regard to loops and such (don't have GB to compare it to, just descriptions), but it would be REALLY nice if the MIDI and software instruments functionality of Garage Band could make it to Soundtrack too ...

OTOH, I wouldn't call that a "1.2" release ... that would be 2.0, I'd think ...

agentmouthwash

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
I love soundtrack and i've gotten so much use out of it, but Apple is going to have to update it to justify the price.
Right now the only thing it has that garageband doesn't have is more loops.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by cionheart
Which leads me to the question: Can you use the loops from Soundtrack in GarageBand???

I suspect so. They're both called "Apple Loops". All the Soundtrack loops would be of the "Audio Recording" (instead of software instrument) variety, of course.

Brock

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2003
Brock University
does soundtrack have more loops?

In the keynote Steve said "We've built soundtrack right into Garage Band" referring to the Apple Loops.

And... the Jam Pack has over 2000 more loops! How many does Soundtrack have?

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
As has been stated in other threads, Garageband (GB) does not give you the ability to pull in a Final Cut video file, along with it's markers like SoundTrack (ST) does.

ST is made to make it easy for video editors to make quasi-original, royalty-free background music.

GB is made to make it easy to write songs.

That said, I hope that they add the software instrument part of GB to ST in the next update - what's anoying to me (a new ST user as of 2 weeks ago) is the inability to create drum fills and the like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.