Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
Hi does anyone know if Apple will replace this? I just got the phone today. But will not be able to get to an Apple store till Tuesday.

I've seen worse cracks on the net and am wondering if this counts? it's quite visible and if you run your fingernail over it, you can definitely feel it.

Attachments

• IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    457.1 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    420.2 KB · Views: 157

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
you have GOT to be kidding me...

i'm all for the generous and lenient geniuses... but this is just silly.

just enjoy your freakin phone.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
how is it silly? I want to enjoy my iPhone too. But I need a defect free one to do so.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
if you take that to the Genius Bar, they will replace YOU, with the next customer who has a REAL issue. Relax. Enjoy the phone.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Those aren't cracks. Actually, they look like scuffs, which definitely don't happen on their own.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
well i can assure you it wasn't I who scuffed it. I noticed it when I got into the car after getting it.

Ok, if this isn't considered an issue for ya'all. Would the bezel separating from the display and light leaking through be considered an issue? It bothers me as I am afraid dust might get in.

Trust me guys, I am not looking for defects on purpose. It was just there. I didn't have to look carefully.

Haruk

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
who ****ing cares? They're so god damn tiny, it doesn't effect the functionality at all. And no one's gonna go and say you have an "ugly" iphone, I guarantee you you'll be the only person to notice it.
Seriously, I hope apple store doesn't exchange if you try to for something so damn small

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
You spent over three hundred dollars on the phone. If you not happy exchange it for one that makes you happy. You are going to be stuck with it for at least a year or more before you can become upgraded eligible you should be happy with your purchase imo.

Haruk

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
dude,even if you did exchange it for something as stupid as that, eventually from use it will have even more marks anyways
just enjoy the damn phone

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
You spent over three hundred dollars on the phone. If you not happy exchange it for one that makes you happy. Your going to be stuck with it for at least a year or more before you can become upgraded eligible you should be happy with your purchase imo.

that's how I feel too. I just want a iphone I can be happy with, that I can scuff, or crack on my own. Not have it come like that.

I understand where everyone is coming from and trust..I wish it didn't bother me! But when I see the next guy whose iPhone doesn't have a problem that's "something so damn small" makes me wonder why I can't get a phone like that too?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
That little tiny mark will not get you a new phone, but a light leak might. They exchanged mine for a light leak. I actually brought it in to complain about a possible faulty 3G chip, but they were more interested in the light leak.

Caveat...if you exchange it, you run the risk of getting a phone with the same problem, or other problems your current phone doesn't have.

Also, the guy next to you with a "perfect" phone may have defects he doesn't see that you might see if you look closer...dust, cracks, bad screen color (my first phone was horribly yellow).

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
dude,even if you did exchange it for something as stupid as that, eventually from use it will have even more marks anyways
just enjoy the damn phone

thanks haruk. i know., eventually the phone will get marks from wear and tear. But what about the gap ? i'm afraid dust will get in, and that'll totally screw my screen up, which wouldn't be from wear and tear.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
That little tiny mark will not get you a new phone, but a light leak might. They exchanged mine for a light leak. I actually brought it in to complain about a possible faulty 3G chip, but they were more interested in the light leak.

Caveat...if you exchange it, you run the risk of getting a phone with the same problem, or other problems your current phone doesn't have.

you're absolutely right. It's a gamble. But I believe there are iPhones without these problems..and I'll like to have one.

Haruk

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
thanks haruk. i know., eventually the phone will get marks from wear and tear. But what about the gap ? i'm afraid dust will get in, and that'll totally screw my screen up, which wouldn't be from wear and tear.

actually that light leak is pretty common, and people have gotten theirs replaced for it(and often got another one with the same issue), but I don't think anyone noticed any problems with dust getting in

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
you're absolutely right. It's a gamble. But I believe there are iPhones without these problems..and I'll like to have one.

Trust me, if you think you're going to the Apple store and have them open box after box until you find a perfect phone that doesn't have even a miniscule mark on the case somewhere, you are mistaken. If the first replacement phone they bring out has a glaring defect, they MIGHT bring you another, but if the next phone has a dead pixel or a speck of dust under the screen, they will tell you it's within spec and that they can not simply keep opening phones until you find one you like. You might get lucky on the first shot, but if not, be prepared to suck it up. And know that they have your return on record and will not allow another return unless it's a major issue.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Wow, so many harsh replies in this thread.

Yes, they should replace it.

You just spent $299 for your iPhone, it damn-well better be defect-free.

Apple should be ashamed that they are shipping defective products.

Whatever happened to quality-control?

Saying that you should be ok with a crack on your iPhone, no matter how small, is like saying you should be ok with a quarter-sized scratch or dent on a brand new BMW that you just bought. I mean, come on.

bluelondon

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
zerotails ignore the stupid comments about how you should just put up with the damn phone and get on with your life. you paid for it, you deserve a perfect product AS WAS ADVERTISED BY APPLE.

the light leak alone will suffice an exchange so don't worry.

i am on my 3rd 3g iphone now and am happy. the first had an unflush screen with light leak, second had more light leak, and this 3rd one is fine, has a very tiny with of light leak but i cant give a **** anymore. its the best one of the 3 so its a keeper, everything else works fine.

good luck, hope your next phone is in good condition.

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007

if you're not concerned with the cracks and concerned with the light leak, then why take pics and start a new thread about the cracks?

siren.gif
woop woop, bullsh*t detector

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
if you're not concerned with the cracks and concerned with the light leak, then why take pics and start a new thread about the cracks?

siren.gif
woop woop, bullsh*t detector

i am concerned with all the issues I've mentioned.

As i've never seen a cracked iPhone in real life and was unsure of what that grey line on the side of my phone was I thought I'll take some pics and ask the good people of this forum, who more often are more knowledgeable about this stuff. I just needed clarification on the "crack" hence photos and starting a thread.

I apologize if my getting upset over a tiny "crack" and light leakage has angered some of you. :confused:

Trust me, this is not fun for me. I'm not here to bull sh** . It's a legitimate concern personally for me. My coming here and starting a thread was not to waste anybody's time.

thanks to bluelondon and surely mcdj
for their kind advice. :)

iWhat?

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
SF Bay Area / W9 - London
you have GOT to be kidding me...

i'm all for the generous and lenient geniuses... but this is just silly.

just enjoy your freakin phone.

I agree with this guy, along with most on here. I'm assuming if there wasn't an official iPhone cracked thread on here, you wouldn't give your finite blemish a second thought.

That being said, if you're not happy with your phone, try to take it back. F*ck what we all have to say on here regarding the matter and the extent of your blemish. What it comes down to is your CSAT (customer satisfaction) of the phone and if your local Mac store/AT&T store is willing to replace your phone. So, with this in mind, why don't you try to get your phone replaced under warentee if you're unhappy? I've never understood why people need forum approval before one tries to rectify the problem with Apple directly first.

bluelondon

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
I agree with this guy, along with most on here. I'm assuming if there wasn't an official iPhone cracked thread on here, you wouldn't give your finite blemish a second thought.

That being said, if you're not happy with your phone, try to take it back. F*ck what we all have to say on here regarding the matter and the extent of your blemish. What it comes down to is your CSAT (customer satisfaction) of the phone and if your local Mac store/AT&T store is willing to replace your phone. So, with this in mind, why don't you try to get your phone replaced under warentee if you're unhappy? I've never understood why people need forum approval before one tries to rectify the problem with Apple directly first.

read zerotails posts above, he clearly said he was not intentionally looking for defects but that the crack was visible upon opening the box.

i'm sure he isn't looking for our approval as much as he is for our opinions which is the whole point of a discussion forum.

igglepuff

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
if the crack was there when you opened the sealed box thats one thing, if you jsut noticed it now it woudl have easily have been user caused one way or another.. its a toss up wether they'll do anythign now, unless its say 1day old. As for hte light leaking, they will msot likely replace it for that. many users have swapped phones due ot the leaking light from teh glass/bezel area.

good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.