Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How does Windows Boot speed relate to OSX Boot Speed?

• OSX Boots Significantly Faster

Votes: 34 82.9%
  • They Are About The Same (within 5 seconds of each other)

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Windows Vista Boots Faster

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
I am wondering what the boot speeds are for the macbook - this includes speeds for both windows and mac OS X.

so it would be really nice if you could tell me what the speeds are...

in OSX
and
in windows Vista (for those of you that are running it)

thanks!

i will be adding a Poll where people can vote on boot speeds
but please post your boot speeds and your Specs (just the processor speed please)

NOTE: NATIVE BOOT SPEEDS ONLY - i ONLY want speeds thru Bootcamp!
THANKS!

thanks Mac Forum Users

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
My Macbook boots OS X (from the chime to the desktop, with all services started) in 58 seconds.

I don't have any specific times for Windows, but I know it's not that fast. I have it on my iMac, and while it might take that long to get to the desktop, starting all those extra system tray programs definitely puts it over.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Running OS X 10.5.4 on my 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM, I am at the desktop in under a minute.

Running Vista x64 via Boot Camp on my 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM, I am at the desktop in under four minutes.

On my 2.0 GHz Core Duo MacBook, OS X 10.4/10.5 would boot in about a minute. Windows XP via Boot Camp would take about two.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Running OS X 10.5.4 on my 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM, I am at the desktop in under a minute.

Running Vista x64 on my 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM, I am at the desktop in under four minutes.

On my 2.0 GHz Core Duo MacBook, OS X 10.4/10.5 would boot in about a minute. Windows XP would take about two.

WOW, is vista really that slow?? - or is it cuz you are running a virtual machine - and not thru bootcamp - i should have clarified that... i would like for people to post NATIVE boots speeds thru Bootcamp ONLY!

no parallels please!.

thanks!

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I don't use Vista, just XP, but XP definitely boots faster then OS X. While XP takes longer to get me to my desktop, once I'm there, it's ready to go, where as I must wait a few extra seconds while OS X finishes loading everything.

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008
Just tested this. Both of these are timed until they start up and all their services start working. I have a desktop with Vista that has a Quad Core and it starts up Vista in around a minute... but of course that's with twice as much the processing power of my MacBook, so it SHOULD be MUCH faster, but with Vista it isn't.

MacBook 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM = 56 seconds
Vista 1.8GHz AMD X2, 2GB RAM = 1 minute 50 seconds

I just switched from a Windows laptop to my MacBook yesterday and I can tell you there is a HUGE difference it shut off/startup speeds with the Mac heavily favored.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
I don't have Vista but..

OSX 10.5.4 = 1 min ± 10 sec

XP SP2 = 35s ± 5s

This is from initial press of the button to full use with everything loaded

Interesting - i am using this poll whether to really buy a macbook or NOT.. cuz if its no faster with vista... then its not worth it...

but from the looks of it... its running vista MUCH faster.
and XP too :D

think i'll go w/ a macbook:apple:

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
firstly, your comparing how fast an OS is due to its startup time? this is pointless as OS X is so stable that its pretty much pointless to shut down and users usually sleep their Macs.

secondly, it depends on how much stuff you have installed in OS X or if you hard drive is full or not. a clean install of OS X on Intel usually boots in 30-40s. anything up to or just over a minute when youve customised OS X with your apps and data.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
leopard definitely has slower boot times than the final 10.4.11 release of tiger... but maybe leopard will get better towards the later releases. I had boot times of 26 seconds with tiger but its more like 40 seconds with leopard. not complaining though!

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
Another important variable is the change in boot time over many months. My OSX boots up just as fast as it did 8 months ago - definitely not the case with Windows XP (and Vista?) which gets incrementally slower without consistent maintenance.

chrisiw

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
Isle of Wight UK
Another important variable is the change in boot time over many months. My OSX boots up just as fast as it did 8 months ago - definitely not the case with Windows XP (and Vista?) which gets incrementally slower without consistent maintenance.

Yep! Fully agree, my 18 month old MacBook still boots just as fast as when it was new, I also have a 3yr old WindowsXP laptop and it has got allot slower with time

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
firstly, your comparing how fast an OS is due to its startup time? this is pointless as OS X is so stable that its pretty much pointless to shut down and users usually sleep their Macs.

secondly, it depends on how much stuff you have installed in OS X or if you hard drive is full or not. a clean install of OS X on Intel usually boots in 30-40s. anything up to or just over a minute when youve customised OS X with your apps and data.

NOT wholly - im not stupid... LOL

i DO have information on stability w/ both OS's.
dont worry aboutme... i know OSX is many thousands of times more stable than windows vista... anyways... the reason i'm asking this is to primarily see what OSX's boot speeds are... AND to compare if Macs Boot vista faster than windows PC's -

i would love the flexibility of OSX and the gaming ability of Vista - so i really would LOVE to have both thru bootcamp...

but i do need this information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.