Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makaveli7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
My CPU on heavy load runs at 80C, and on idle it runs cool at 45-50C. From what I know, Intel runs hotter than AMD, so is 80C something to worry about?

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
My CPU on heavy load runs at 80C, and on idle it runs cool at 45-50C. From what I know, Intel runs hotter than AMD, so is 80C something to worry about?

Nope. Just download SMC Fan Control and up the fans to 2500-3000 RPM.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008

Nope - 95C is where you have to start worrying... cuz if it evaporates water in the air and that water turns to steam, it can play havoc with your logic board... we know the boiling point is 100C - but 95 is the REDLINE - after all, why take chances??

as long as you're under that, you're good.

but DO download SMC FanControl and use it to cool off ur MB.

rd261

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Those temperatures are good. I have been working on mine for 2 hours with MS Word, iTunes, and Safari and currently my cpu temp. is 53 C. However, when watching youtube videos it can get up to 65 C, and when encoding videos the fan revs up and the temperature goes up to 75-80 C. Compared to my turion 64 laptop it runs at about the same temperature. So unless the laptop is shutting down by itself then you have nothing to worry about.

samwithans

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
Temps hovering above 180F

So I noticed this today. I use my computer literally all day for work and it usually hovers around 160-170F, which seems about normal and not too hot to the touch.

But today, the temps have been consistently above 180 (right now its at 194, with the only thing that could be considered resource-intensive being streaming the latest winelibrarytv episode...) with fans consistenly running 4k+rpm.

Anyway, it's under AppleCare, so it could be covered, but I just wanted to see what you guys thought before I trekked over to the store.

On a different note: I never would have noticed these things if I didn't have smcFanControl... so maybe all this compulsive temp monitoring is all in my head... thoughts?

samwithans

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
How hot IS too hot?

Then you should be able to help me... maybe a little sharing of your voluminous forums knowledge or just a little link love? And I'll owe you a nickel.

And all due respect to alphaod, but it's not normal for my machine. Like I said, I usually run 160-170F under normal use, but lately, and especially today, my fans have been running at 4,000rpm+ and temps have been above 180 (right now- 190F, 6,200rpm with normal browsing).

Is this really normal? Are these things designed to run their fans at top speed when they're not using all their resources?

archesdevil

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
Then you should be able to help me... maybe a little sharing of your voluminous forums knowledge or just a little link love? And I'll owe you a nickel.

And all due respect to alphaod, but it's not normal for my machine. Like I said, I usually run 160-170F under normal use, but lately, and especially today, my fans have been running at 4,000rpm+ and temps have been above 180 (right now- 190F, 6,200rpm with normal browsing).

Is this really normal? Are these things designed to run their fans at top speed when they're not using all their resources?

Do I need to remind you to brush your teeth, and tuck you in at night?

archesdevil

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008

Night night, sleep well.

econoline06

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
The main problem I see is that many folks insist on trying to make portable computers something they are not: desktops. They were never made to accomplish super intensive tasks like video encoding. This simply builds up too much heat, then people complain that their cases warp or crack. If you really want to do heavy duty computing, get an iMac or a Mac Pro with better cooling capacity.

edit: please refrain from flaming, I understand that some folks cannot afford a desktop computer, only a low end MacBook fits into their budgets. If you insist on using things like Handbrake or gaming, you really ought to have your computer in an air conditioned room at least. Being a student of Technology (Senior, EMU), I have actually accomplish my thesis and part of it was on how the IT industry is not mature. Really, its only been around for the last 20-25 years or so. Think about what the automotive industry looked like when it had been around for the same length of time. There was a lot of weird stuff on the market, most of which did not work well. I somewhat feel like laptops are in this stage of their life...they run too darned hot and lack features compared to desktop computers, does it really have to be this way? I think not, I feel that they have not matured enough. Maybe in another 10 years we will have truly solid portable systems, until then I suppose these are issues we will just have to make do with and combat the best we can. Brute forcing air through our systems seems like an underdeveloped way of dealing with things. I believe Intel and other chip manufacturers need to face the problem head on (actually, Intel is in the process of doing this now) by developing CPU's that are more powerful yet run cooler and with less power.

Reactions: Jayderek

Let's Sekuhara!

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
日本
I understand that some folks cannot afford a desktop computer, only a low end MacBook fits into their budgets. If you insist on using things like Handbrake or gaming, you really ought to have your computer in an air conditioned room at least.

Hey, I feel like maybe I should take offense to that. ;) I have a MacBook that I use like a desktop. I do gaming. I do HandBrake encoding. But I didn't go portable to be cheap - got the highest spec MacBook possible. It cost more than the basic iMac and is more powerful. Plus, the way I see it the iMac is also a solid enclosed one-piece unit that is not much better ventilated that a notebook anyway.

Monitor your system temperature, and get a KoolSink if necessary. Use compressed air to blow the dust out of your vents once in a while. You should be fine.

jmb667

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
Philomath, OR, USA
I've had my Macbook on (closed and running off my 22" external display, fwiw) for the last 3 hours...and it's only at 55C. When I've used Handbrake it's gotten up to 65C, but not really any higher. If I had a desktop capable of video encoding, I'd use it for that, but seeing as how I don't... :p

apples22

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
Temperature

I think mine is heating up because it’s on a sheet of roll paper, have read that also wood can keep it too hot, my machine is heating up and the fan’s going constantly. It’s at 79 to 82 C lately. Is 80 or 82 too high, should I turn off the machine, what is considered way too hot? Sounds like you are saying 90 to 100!
I usually keep my MacBook turned on throughout the night.
THe fan on my computer hasn’t been running constantly recently, so I got the smcFanControl. What are the fan settings to change?
I have heard that you can put it on slate to keep it cool, like slate the stone? Where can you buy that? I found online a slate board for sushi plates for about $7, but not for computers, could you use that? I would be worried to if it was made for food. Does anyone know where you can find a sheet of slate for electronics?

Last edited:

Questor333

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2018
Is he serious? Most desktops are a lot cheaper than a Macbook. I'm fortunate to have both. I use my Macbook mostly because I like it more.
I think he was referring to an iMac as a desktop... and they can get rather expensive!
[doublepost=1533571370][/doublepost]I too have been rather concerned about my 11 year old precious iMac getting too hot. Of course the first thing I did was get the latest SMC Fan Control software and with my handy cans of compressed air always on hand I blew out plenty of dust and dirt out of my iMac years ago and since, it is doing fantastic! I prefer Fahrenheit growing up using that so I run only once 160 degrees (I rarely go over 140 degrees). Only to realize checking with the forums that this is still safe! Thanks guys! One thing I do know from being in the electronics game for over 45 years... Heat is the enemy of any electronics! Especially expensive 7th generation electronics. Keep your warranties updated if you can.. ;-))
I just purchased a new killer iMac a couple of weeks ago. The construction is entirely different and runs much cooler, fortunately.
[doublepost=1533572252][/doublepost]As far as VR gets to be more mainstream for Mac, this is where we will be experiencing our heating challenges! I have prepared myself by adding an eGPU to take the video load off my new killer iMac hoping for the best. I am waiting patiently for HTC to finish preparations so their software people can get together and finish VR support for the HTC Vive Pro on Mac! Hopefully heating problems will be kept to a minimum there. I am crossing my fingers there...
Come on HTC!!!

Last edited:

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Guys. This thread is 10 years old. Congratulations for the resurrection...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.