Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 24, 2008, 01:14 PM   #1
gotlax24
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
what to look for in a printer for macbook

I just got a macbook in the beginning of the summer and love it! I am glad I made the switch from dell. Since I am still new to all this wireless and network stuff (but i can follow directions well) I need to know what to look for in a printer for my macbook because i do not want to have to buy the wrong one! I have the newest version of the macbook and it connected to a router that is also connected to a dell desktop. I just need a printer for my macbook not the desktop so do i need a network printer or just a wireless printer?? If anyone uses a printer that they like with their macbook recommendations would also be appreciated!
gotlax24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 01:17 PM   #2
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3
 
TuffLuffJimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
I don't think you need to get a wireless, or network printer. Any printer with a USB connector should work. What I've done is connected my free printer to my Airport Extreme. I can print from my Macbook, my mom's powerbook and my family's PC. My family's PC is connected through ethernet directly to the Airport.
__________________
"Next PM I get from you about this, and it gets posted as my signature." --*LTD*
TuffLuffJimmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 01:57 PM   #3
bartzilla
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotlax24 View Post
I just got a macbook in the beginning of the summer and love it! I am glad I made the switch from dell. Since I am still new to all this wireless and network stuff (but i can follow directions well) I need to know what to look for in a printer for my macbook because i do not want to have to buy the wrong one! I have the newest version of the macbook and it connected to a router that is also connected to a dell desktop. I just need a printer for my macbook not the desktop so do i need a network printer or just a wireless printer?? If anyone uses a printer that they like with their macbook recommendations would also be appreciated!
As Jimmy says, you don't need a printer that's wireless in and of itself. I've got a Samsung CLP-300N colour laser printer that plugs into my cable router. The cable router does wireless, so I can print anywhere I can connect to the internet at home.
bartzilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 02:17 PM   #4
gotlax24
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
okay, so i just need to buy a printer that connects into my router? sounds easy enough, thanks guys!
gotlax24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 11:59 PM   #5
Avizzv92
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Make sure your router has a USB plug in it, my Netgear doesn't therefore a printer can't be connected. And if I wanted wireless printing I would need a wireless printer adapter.

All in All, HP has always been my favorite non Mac tech brand, They make reliable products and good printers... I own a HP Photosmart All-In-One...
Avizzv92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:25 AM   #6
tsice19
macrumors 6502a
 
tsice19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
If you want to wirelessly print, you'll need a USB printer compatible with both Windows and Mac.

Then you can either 1) Plug it into your router (if it has USB) or 2) Plug it into an Airport Express (if you have one) or 3) Plug it into a desktop connected to your wireless network and share the printer with other computers on your network.
tsice19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 01:16 AM   #7
atlanticza
macrumors 6502a
 
atlanticza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cape Town
What to look for in a printer? Make sure that the printer ships with fully supported Mac drivers, especially if it's an all-in-one.
__________________
Expired Mac Pro 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 6GB memory | 17" MacBook Pro | PC | Canon EOS 1D | Canon 5D Mark ll |Canon G10
atlanticza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 01:27 AM   #8
CalBoy
macrumors 601
 
CalBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluffjimmy View Post
I don't think you need to get a wireless, or network printer. Any printer with a USB connector should work. What I've done is connected my free printer to my Airport Extreme. I can print from my Macbook, my mom's powerbook and my family's PC. My family's PC is connected through ethernet directly to the Airport.
I really agree with this post, and I think this is the best route to go through.

I also think you should think about what you want out of the printer. For example, if you expect to print many documents, go for a laser printer that is known for reliability (HP is always a good brand). If you think you're only going to print occasionally, then a basic printer-copier-scanner combo might work nicely.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you take advantage of the $100 printer rebate? IIRC, all macbook, macbook pro, iMac, and Mac Pro purchases come with a $100 printer rebate that you can apply to several different printers that are available from Apple. Those are also usually easy to find OS X drivers for, so it can save you some trouble.
CalBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 04:58 AM   #9
bartzilla
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avizzv92 View Post
Make sure your router has a USB plug in it, my Netgear doesn't therefore a printer can't be connected. And if I wanted wireless printing I would need a wireless printer adapter.
I don't have USB on my router, I have a printer that has a built in network card, and I plug that into the router using the built-in small ethernet switch that pretty much every ADSL or Cable router on the planet has these days.

Works fine, and I didn't need to do anything special to make it print from machines using the router's wireless connection either. It's all 'the network' as far as my printer is concerned... all you need is the correct drivers, and for my CLP-300N, samsung support bonjour so it's real easy to configure things, and seem fairly on the ball with Leopard drivers, 32 & 64 bit Vista and XP, I think Linux drivers too, etc.
bartzilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which colour laserjet printer for my new Macbook? wotsit Mac Peripherals 7 Feb 21, 2014 04:14 AM
Best Wifi Printer for Macbook Air? purdue1014 MacBook Air 13 Jan 11, 2014 01:22 AM
Best All in One Printer for MacBook Pro USMCJS Mac Peripherals 15 Jan 9, 2014 11:33 AM
Printer needs a reboot if not used (Airport Express/2007 MacBook/Samsung printer) patent10021 Mac Basics and Help 1 Nov 13, 2013 05:44 PM
Printer for MacBook, Printer Only! chattahoochee MacBook 5 Jun 16, 2013 12:38 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC