Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom Foolery

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Toronto, Canada
i recently got into the habit of watching activity monitor. i have noticed that there is constantly a process called ajax server, and it always says it's not responding. i quit is to see what happens and it came back and was normal for about 30 seconds and then went back to not responding.

i was just wondering what this process was and if it is a cause for concern

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Not sure what apps you're running, but there's no process called "AjaxServer" in my list of processes. I'm on Leopard (latest everything), what're you running? And what have you installed that might include an Ajax server?

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Not sure what apps you're running, but there's no process called "AjaxServer" in my list of processes. I'm on Leopard (latest everything), what're you running? And what have you installed that might include an Ajax server?

Same, I have nothing called AjaxServer either. I'm thinking that things like Ruby on Rails (but not RoR) where it installs its own server could have something to do with this. I read recently somewhere claiming that an application can be built entirely using AJAX, so maybe that's it (I can't remember what it was called though).

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I did a little Googling and turned up this thread in another forum (which in turn references this thread on yet another forum). Here's the endgame:

It turns out that ajaxserver is part of a 3rd party VPN program called Hot Spot Shield that I use when I surf in public places . It turns out that when I am not using the VPN, ajaxserver must go to sleep and appears not to be responding, but as soon as I connect to the VPN, it activates.

...could this be your problem?

fatcat23

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
Crazy, I have the same problem.

FYI: Hotspot Shields can be used as a proxy to watch hulu videos outside of the US (it gives you a us ip adress).

Harlemite

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
Stockholm, Sweden
Ditto

I just wanted to attest to the same problem regarding HotSpot Shield. It works like a charm, but the "ajaxserver (Not responding)" bit got on my nerves, not to mention caused my fans to work harder than I liked.

All seems to be well now. Hats off to you all for your help on this.

Harlemite

P.S. http://theharlemite.com/2008/12/21/...=true&preview_id=433&preview_nonce=5ba813dcbd gives you all kudos and thanks for your knowledge. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.