Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Aug 24, 2008, 04:57 PM   #1
thinkbig12
macrumors member

Should I always use the sleep mode?

Hi

I'm wondering if letting my mac on sleep mode all the time hurts it? Or should I always shut it down? I've heard the sleep mode from apple is really effective.

Thanks
thinkbig12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 05:00 PM   #2
EricNau

Yes, in fact, typically sleep mode is better for the computer than a complete shut down.
EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 05:01 PM   #3
stone315
macrumors regular

Yeah, it's fine, I only put mine to sleep. One time my wireless connectivity was acting weird so I rebooted and it was fine, but I don't actually know if there was a connection between problem-action-effect. Leave it in sleep, it'll be fine. I personally only shut down or reboot for either software updates or troubleshooting.
stone315 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 05:06 PM   #4
thinkbig12
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone315 View Post
Yeah, it's fine, I only put mine to sleep. One time my wireless connectivity was acting weird so I rebooted and it was fine, but I don't actually know if there was a connection between problem-action-effect. Leave it in sleep, it'll be fine. I personally only shut down or reboot for either software updates or troubleshooting.
Really? Its kinda weird for me, I'm used (as a computer user) to always shut down my computer. Now it feels like I'm using my ipod touch! Leave it on sleep all the time! I think I'll get used to it then!
thinkbig12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:25 PM   #5
California King
macrumors 6502a

From experience, I say always shut down at night. If I don't shut down or reboot for a while, everything begins to slow down and things like the transparent play bar in quicktime is no longer transparent anymore and overall, it makes everything very sluggish. Also, I find that the laptop has a hotter idle temp as well.
California King is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 11:20 PM   #6
RMo
macrumors 6502a

I normally just put my MacBook to sleep at night. That way, it's ready sooner in the morning, and the amount of power consumed is probably not that different from what it would be if you shut down and had to wait for it to boot up again. And OS X is usually stable enough that you can go for days, weeks, and probably even months without rebooting--I normally do so only when, for example, a security update requires me to.

But you can do whichever you prefer.
RMo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 11:57 PM   #7
tsice19
macrumors 6502a

My MacBook, according to the uptime code in terminal, has been running for 21 days without a reboot.
tsice19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:19 AM   #8
CalBoy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNau View Post
Yes, in fact, typically sleep mode is better for the computer than a complete shut down.
I always thought it really didn't matter either way; how is sleep superior?

Anyhow, I keep my computer sleeping all the time. The only time my computer ever restarts is when I have software updates. It makes it easier to just open it up and check something quickly, and is an all-around easier way to keep the computer going for those times when you aren't using it for extended times.
CalBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook