Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 24, 2008, 09:17 PM   #1
swordfish5736
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to swordfish5736
unapproved charging device

So i picked up a new car last week with an aftermarket stereo. It has an ipod hookup with it but it gives me the this device isnt approved for charging and wont do anything.

I thought i remembered awhile back reading that sometimes jailbreaking the phones can bypass this but never tried it with my V1 jailbroken iphone.

So can jailbreaking fix this?
Old Aug 24, 2008, 09:48 PM   #2
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
The new 3G iPhones are not compatible with many of the v1 iPhone power sources. I have a $60 Belkin FM transmitter/charger that just takes up space in my glovebox, due to the change. Sorry, but I ended up buying a nice Griffin charger for the 3G iPhone.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:07 PM   #3
Opie
macrumors 6502a

I dont believe that jailbreaking will help at all. I had my v1 iphone jailbroke and my ipod touch accessories didnt work.
Opie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:42 PM   #4
PoitNarf
macrumors 65816

The exact reason why it doesn't work is because the iPhone 3G does not support charging over the firewire pins in the 30 pin dock connector. Many car adapters for the iPod and iPhone used the firewire charging since it operates at 12 volts which is what your car battery outputs at. The iPhone 3G will only charge with USB chargers which use different pins in the dock connector and also runs at 5 volts. This is a hardware limitation, so jailbreaking isn't going to do anything to help.

I was in the same boat, so I got this http://store.apple.com/us/product/TK...er&mco=MTU5MzY. The cable has a pass-through dock connection, so you can just connect the iPod cable coming from your car stereo into the bottom of it.
PoitNarf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 06:15 AM   #5
Dr. Cabrera
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Cabrera
I believe this has to do with the amperage draw

i had an old ipod charger that was only rated for 1/2 amp that no longer works on my iphone 3g

i would recommend buying the griffin powerjolt for the iphone

It uses a standard usb connector and comes with an iphone data cable

Best of all it has an led ring that tells you the status of your charge

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...werjoltiphone/
Dr. Cabrera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:14 AM   #6
PoitNarf
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenaniganz08 View Post
I believe this has to do with the amperage draw
No, while USB and Firewire charging do operate at different aperages the main reason why the iPhone 3G doesn't work with some older chargers or car adapters is because the 3G doesn't support Firewire charging at all.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:25 AM   #7
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
I love how the universal dock is not very universal if they change it from release to release.

As others stated old chargers might not work because the iphone 3G does not support charging via the firewire voltage where the older phone was able to.
Diode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:27 AM   #8
dukebound85
macrumors P6

i wonder if any type of adapter will be made aka a female/male part that doubles as a voltage regulator
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:33 AM   #9
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
i wonder if any type of adapter will be made aka a female/male part that doubles as a voltage regulator
While not now, one will be soon.

Expensive but because it passes the other signals through it will be useful for head unit adapters.
Diode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:15 AM   #10
PoitNarf
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
While not now, one will be soon.

Expensive but because it passes the other signals through it will be useful for head unit adapters.
It looks promising, I may have to give it a whirl.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone