Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appledrone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Devon, UK
Hi, I want to run my g4 17 inch powerbook connected to an external screen with the lid closed, when i shut it the external screen goes off aswell, I have been told to use an external keyboard etc, I want to use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Is there anyway of doing this?

thanks

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I don't think you can, but even if you could, you shouldn't. A laptop needs as much ventilation as it can get. If you run it with the lid closed then the machine will run hotter and you will shorten the life of your laptop and have hardware failures much sooner. Just turn the screen brightness to zero, it's the same effect. If you want to then you can even close the lid most of the way also if you like.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
dude, what?

I don't think you can, but even if you could, you shouldn't. A laptop needs as much ventilation as it can get. If you run it with the lid closed then the machine will run hotter and you will shorten the life of your laptop and have hardware failures much sooner. Just turn the screen brightness to zero, it's the same effect. If you want to then you can even close the lid most of the way also if you like.

You don't think he can? My powerbook usually runs cooler when connected to an external monitor because it doesn't have to light up it's attached one.

Set bluetooth devices to wake the computer.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
You don't think he can? My powerbook usually runs cooler when connected to an external monitor because it doesn't have to light up it's attached one.

Set bluetooth devices to wake the computer.

You computer runs cooler with the external monitor attached while the lid is closed?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Just make sure you provide good ventilation if you decide to use your computer in clamshell model; currently I have my MBP set up in clamshell--it does run a bit hotter than usual, but the fans spin up at the same temperatures to cool it down, so I have no worries.

Wotan31

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
^^^ Did you just make that up? Or are you intentionally trying to mislead people? :mad:

It's called "clamshell mode" where you operate the notebook attached to an external monitor with the lid closed. It's fully supported on Powerbook, and having used it myself, I can attest to the fact that your Powerbook temperatures will NOT be hotter, not even by 1 degree, when operating in clamshell mode.

appledrone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Devon, UK

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
thanks for the link to the video, very helpful. I am going to try it now, but i only have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse so fingers crossed!

Just make sure this is enabled first:

Picture1copy.png

appledrone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Devon, UK
It works with bluetooth but i cannot check the 'allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer - it is greyed out - any ideas?

p.s i am running tiger

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA

All aluminum PowerBooks can operate in "clamshell" mode. It is a feature which was designed and implemented by the engineers at Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.