Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Hey, I'm home on college break and noticed my dad is STILL using OS9 because he doesn't want to buy new versions of OS9 programs such as QuarkExpress.

After talking to him, I convinced him to let me load OSX on his Powerbook G4, and explained Classic mode to him.

This installation of the new OS 10.2.8 worked fine (it was the only OSX installation disc he had around), but suddenly a problem began occuring.

After the computer is shut down, it will not start back up correctly. The computer turns on and you can hear all the internal components starting up, but the screen remains blank.

The ONLY way to get the screen to activate is to shut the computer down again (via holding down the power button for 5 seconds) and pressing the small RESET button on the back of the Powerbook. After this button is pressed the computer starts up fine, but it needs to be pressed after every shutdown.

Thanks for reading, any advice on fixing this issue?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
You may need to upgrade the firmware for the PowerBook. Option 2, restart holding shift and see if that brings it back around. I have this problem every once in a while on my PowerBook G4 667 (DVI) and the Shift method usually works.

TEG

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Wow to the second op, sounds like you have a good memory.

But I'd at least upgrade dad to Panther 10.3, it's a better operating system.

I seem to remember that my Mac crashed on me once in a while with OS9.

It rarely has crashed in the six years since, btw.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Thank you for the responses.

To the first reply, I tried booting holding the shift key and it didn't work:( any other suggestions?

Second reply, i dont have Panther install discs available, only 10.2

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Thank you for the responses.

To the first reply, I tried booting holding the shift key and it didn't work:( any other suggestions?

Second reply, i dont have Panther install discs available, only 10.2

Does he have a Powerbook G4 400mhz?

If so, I do recall that i needed to get a new mother board or pram battery on one of the Panther updates (it is weird what we remember).

Sounds like his Tibook is a 1ghz or a 667 or 800mhz? Still they were made in 2002, and I believe those pram batteries only last five years.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The 400, 500, 550, and 667 VGA have the rear reset button. After that the reset button is under the keyboard.

I'm almost sure that you need a firmware update. I had to update the firmware when I installed 10.0 in 2001 on my TiBook 500. Apple.com should have a way for you to do it from a CD, or OS 9.

Have you tried booting from the OS X CD? If so, have you tried changing the startup disk to OS9 and rebooting into OS9. If you can do that, it is quite easy to upgrade the firmware when you find it.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.