Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Aug 25, 2008, 08:28 PM   #1
vp719
macrumors member

File transfer without Wifi

I was wondering if there are any file transfer apps that don't require a Wifi network? I'm at school and primarily use my MBP in my apartment where we have ethernet and no wifi. I've tried Datacase and, even with Wifi, wasn't impressed, and now am downloading MobileFinder, but it looks like that needs Wifi too.

Ideas?

Thanks.
vp719 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Bear Hunter
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp719 View Post
I was wondering if there are any file transfer apps that don't require a Wifi network? I'm at school and primarily use my MBP in my apartment where we have ethernet and no wifi. I've tried Datacase and, even with Wifi, wasn't impressed, and now am downloading MobileFinder, but it looks like that needs Wifi too.

Ideas?

Thanks.
Go to airport status in your taskbar. Choose "Create network" and name it. Now go to your phone and open up settings and go to WiFi, choose the network you just created on your computer. Now you can use Data Case and transfer files back and forth.
Bear Hunter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:28 PM   #3
jaseone
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to jaseone
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

There is no way for apps to use the USB connection to transfer files like that with the SDK/API, best you could do is setup an adhoc wifi network on your MBP.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:33 PM   #4
Bear Hunter
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseone View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

There is no way for apps to use the USB connection to transfer files like that with the SDK/API, best you could do is setup an adhoc wifi network on your MBP.
Who are you talking to? I don't think he was talking about USB
Bear Hunter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:35 PM   #5
megatronbomb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Hunter View Post
Go to airport status in your taskbar. Choose "Create network" and name it. Now go to your phone and open up settings and go to WiFi, choose the network you just created on your computer. Now you can use Data Case and transfer files back and forth.
Question. This is what I do at home, because the wifi networks in the area aren't all that strong inside my apartment, but whenever I create a network with my iMac, I have to go into sharing and disable and then reenable internet sharing in order for the airport icon to flip from the computer to the up arrow indicating it's sharing the connection. Is there any way to permanently enable that feature or does it have to be manually changed every time you create a network?
megatronbomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:20 PM   #6
vp719
macrumors member

Quote:
Had no idea I could do that, thanks very very much
vp719 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 01:21 AM   #7
yoAlex
macrumors member

There is always DiskAid which is usb-based, but it does require the client computer to host software
yoAlex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 05:32 AM   #8
ginguar
macrumors regular

Quote:
This is great for me at home as I have a MBP but is there a similar way of doing this if you are stuck on a windows box like I am at work. Unfortunately at work I can't get my phone on the wifi network.
ginguar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 06:48 AM   #9
jaseone
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to jaseone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseone View Post

Who are you talking to? I don't think he was talking about USB
Uhm well do you see anywhere to plug a CAT5 cable into the iPhone?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps