Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:19 PM   #1
techmonkey
macrumors 6502a

iPhone emulator for OSX ?

Is there an iPhone or Touch emulator that you can run on OSX to test out Apps from the App store?
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:23 PM   #2
PoitNarf
macrumors 65816

You can't test out apps before you purchase, sorry.
PoitNarf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:12 PM   #3
HawaiiMacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Aloha techmonkey,

The only thing even remotely similar to what you desire is called iPhone Simulator, and is part of the iPhone SDK. This allows the developer to test their own apps to see how well the apps will respond on an actual iPhone. This also requires the user to be a developer, so it is not quite what you requested, but still somewhat fits your description.

HawaiiMacAddict
HawaiiMacAddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Niiro13
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Niiro13 Send a message via MSN to Niiro13 Send a message via Yahoo to Niiro13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiMacAddict View Post
Aloha techmonkey,

The only thing even remotely similar to what you desire is called iPhone Simulator, and is part of the iPhone SDK. This allows the developer to test their own apps to see how well the apps will respond on an actual iPhone. This also requires the user to be a developer, so it is not quite what you requested, but still somewhat fits your description.

HawaiiMacAddict
Actually, it only fits the emulation part.

You can only test your own applications and not the App Store applications like the OP wanted.

But anyway, I wouldn't want an emulator on my Mac of the iPhone to test out App Store applications...that means that the accelerometer based ones wouldn't work that well (considering the iPhone Simulator can only do rotations).
Niiro13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 05:25 PM   #5
tuzed
macrumors newbie

Processor is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niiro13 View Post
Actually, it only fits the emulation part.

You can only test your own applications and not the App Store applications like the OP wanted.

But anyway, I wouldn't want an emulator on my Mac of the iPhone to test out App Store applications...that means that the accelerometer based ones wouldn't work that well (considering the iPhone Simulator can only do rotations).
It doesn't even emulate, all it does is simulate the user interface. Apps from the app store are compiled for the arm processor, while the iphone simulator depends on the system it runs on, therefore it has a intel processor.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 03:47 PM   #6
eshroom
macrumors 6502

With new applications such as Sky Sports for 6 per month emerge (as opposed to the 30+ per month a basic sky package with sports costs), this topic is all the more relevant.

I would only be looking for a solution allowing me to watch Sky Sports on my monitor rather than just the phone...

Any developments would be very interesting.
eshroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:44 AM   #7
ViViDboarder
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzed View Post
It doesn't even emulate, all it does is simulate the user interface. Apps from the app store are compiled for the arm processor, while the iphone simulator depends on the system it runs on, therefore it has a intel processor.
Ding! Correct! If only this helped the OP.

For the OP, the closest thing you'll find is watching Youtube videos.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 02:30 PM   #8
iWright
macrumors member

I've been hoping for, and indeed see it as the next logical step up from the new app's organisation interface in iTunes, a built-in emulator for iTunes though I don't know about using them before you've purchased.
iWright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 02:38 PM   #9
ViViDboarder
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWright View Post
I've been hoping for, and indeed see it as the next logical step up from the new app's organisation interface in iTunes, a built-in emulator for iTunes though I don't know about using them before you've purchased.
Emulation would not likely happen, but it's definitely possible for them to incorporate iPhone simulation.

When every app is hosted for iPhone they also host an x86 version for the iPhone simulator. Then they could bundle the Simulator with iTunes for Mac and let you run iPhone apps from your computer in iTunes. Of course that would also require all app devs to create a demo version that was free to get the benefit that you're suggesting.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 01:22 PM   #10
ramparts
macrumors regular

Bumping this - I've got an iPhone app I paid for that I'd very much like to be able to watch on my Mac. Are there any solutions for this?
ramparts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 01:30 PM   #11
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramparts View Post
Bumping this - I've got an iPhone app I paid for that I'd very much like to be able to watch on my Mac. Are there any solutions for this?
If you are jailbroken, their is a method to get video out to a TV (not Mac).

http://tvout2.webs.com/
saving107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:30 PM   #12
MacsOnAnabolics
macrumors regular

Bump. Anything?
MacsOnAnabolics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:11 AM   #13
NWADK
macrumors newbie

Security issue?

Hi MacsOnAnabolics.

I don't think you will see this anytime soon. Allowing App-store Apps to be run on computers opens up for a variety of security issues such as decompiling and traffic-analysis / -sniffing to name a few.
Badly coded Apps could potentially expose a lot of information about supporting APIs and Databases.
Traffic analysis / -sniffing is possible today with apps on iPhones/iPads/iPods, but a lot harder than it would be if running on a computer.

Just my thoughts - I may well be proved wrong
NWADK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:18 PM   #14
david.pena
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWADK View Post
Hi MacsOnAnabolics.

I don't think you will see this anytime soon. Allowing App-store Apps to be run on computers opens up for a variety of security issues such as decompiling and traffic-analysis / -sniffing to name a few.
Badly coded Apps could potentially expose a lot of information about supporting APIs and Databases.
Traffic analysis / -sniffing is possible today with apps on iPhones/iPads/iPods, but a lot harder than it would be if running on a computer.

Just my thoughts - I may well be proved wrong
I see your point but my counter will be that on a Jailbroken iPhone I can do all the same things as a PC. With enough motivations, the hackers can breach security easily so I doubt PC makes it more probable.
david.pena is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone