Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:14 PM   #1
Inukami
macrumors 6502

Wifi on 3G iPhone doesn't show

The icon doesn't show up, it keeps showing the Edge icon(E). I don't think thats normal : (

I'm connected to wifi so i don't know why it wont show, it shows when i'm in airplane mode but i can't use wifi/safari because it doesn't transmit anything. When i turn airplane mode it goes back to E. Also when i'm on wifi mode but it shows E, it is VERY VERY SLOW, like 35 seconds just to load up google with something i searched, is this normal???
Inukami is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:23 PM   #2
andyblila
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to andyblila
I don't think so. Mine shows up anytime I use wifi.
32 GB iPad Air
andyblila is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:27 PM   #3
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
The icon doesn't show up, it keeps showing the Edge icon(E). I don't think thats normal : (

I'm connected to wifi so i don't know why it wont show, it shows when i'm in airplane mode but i can't use wifi/safari because it doesn't transmit anything. When i turn airplane mode it goes back to E. Also when i'm on wifi mode but it shows E, it is VERY VERY SLOW, like 35 seconds just to load up google with something i searched, is this normal???
If it's showing the E symbol, then you're not connected to WiFi (at least you're not connected to the internet via WiFi). It could be that the router has MAC address filtering turned on, doesn't allow 802.11g connections, or you've entered the WEP key incorrectly, but whatever it is, you aren't connected...
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:32 PM   #4
Inukami
macrumors 6502

Hmm well it has a built in router with a password but i entered the password and it says i'm connected.

This is the modem from verizon fios so i'm sure it accepts 802.11g connections.

How do i check for MAC address filtering turned on and WEP
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:33 PM   #5
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
If it's showing the Edge icon and it's really, really slow, then what makes you think you're on Wifi?!?

If you've installed 2.0.2, that might be the problem. After installing, I had to reset my network settings and re-enter my Wifi network password, and it worked fine after that.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:45 PM   #6
Inukami
macrumors 6502

well i went to my settings and entered the DSN address and now it shows the icon but it doesn't transmit anything x_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooleytoo View Post
If it's showing the Edge icon and it's really, really slow, then what makes you think you're on Wifi?!?

If you've installed 2.0.2, that might be the problem. After installing, I had to reset my network settings and re-enter my Wifi network password, and it worked fine after that.
that didn't work =/
Old Aug 26, 2008, 02:14 PM   #7
afazel
macrumors newbie

Make sure the IP address is part of the correct subnet. Sometimes routers are sketchy about giving out correct IP addresses for WiFi devices via DHCP.
afazel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone