Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Aug 27, 2008, 02:24 AM   #1
Belathor
macrumors newbie

can't open macbook pro

Hi,

I put my macbook pro into standby and packed it up just like a hundred times before. Tonight however, I tried to open the lid and found that it was stuck. A quick google search revealed other people have had this problem. One person said that they took a thin object and and somehow coaxed the magnetic latch to detach. I'm not sure how they did that, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had the macbook pro stuck and how they went about fixing it. I've upgraded my hard drive, so I don't really want to send it in.

Thanks.
Belathor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 02:30 AM   #2
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601

You can try a credit or business card pryed above the center of the release latch and push outwards on both sides.

disclaimer: I've never tried that.
Eddyisgreat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 02:44 AM   #3
macwall
macrumors 6502

the magnetic latch is stuck. use a credit card liek the above poster suggested near the latch and then at the two corners.
macwall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 08:44 AM   #4
scienide09
macrumors 65816

The MBP doesn't have a magnetic latch.

Use a credit card or other stiff, thin tool. Insert it above the latch release button, depress the button, and slide the tool toward each of the catches, first one side, then the other. Hopefully this will help you.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Belathor
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help, everyone. I got it open with my grocery card. I haven't tried closing it yet. I'm going to try getting a paperclip and see if I can dislodge something inside the two latch crevasses.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:13 AM   #6
alecgold
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by scienide09 View Post
The MBP doesn't have a magnetic latch.

Use a credit card or other stiff, thin tool. Insert it above the latch release button, depress the button, and slide the tool toward each of the catches, first one side, then the other. Hopefully this will help you.

It does have a magnetic latch, the magnetic taking care of the two little latches coming out of the screen, not the actual closing.
but the latches can get stuck, haven't had it myself, but have read it before.
but your description for getting it loose is certainly right.
alecgold is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:16 AM   #7
alecgold
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belathor View Post
Thanks for your help, everyone. I got it open with my grocery card. I haven't tried closing it yet. I'm going to try getting a paperclip and see if I can dislodge something inside the two latch crevasses.
be caurefull with paperclips, it would be more wise to softy vacuum it, but not with the hoover/vacuum cleaner.
Best thing would be to open the case and clean out the complete laptop, but that takes some nerves, a good phillips screw driver and a Torx T6 one.
I've done it serveral times to replace my fan, HDD for a 320, and now for a 500Gb one, (I've got a 17", that fits a 12mm as well) and if you are carefull and follow the instruction, there is no trouble.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:21 AM   #8
Belathor
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecgold View Post
be caurefull with paperclips, it would be more wise to softy vacuum it, but not with the hoover/vacuum cleaner.
Best thing would be to open the case and clean out the complete laptop, but that takes some nerves, a good phillips screw driver and a Torx T6 one.
I've done it serveral times to replace my fan, HDD for a 320, and now for a 500Gb one, (I've got a 17", that fits a 12mm as well) and if you are carefull and follow the instruction, there is no trouble.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I might do that. I've done it before and the only problem was that it took a long time to coax the front edge off of the top cover.

Last edited by Belathor; Aug 27, 2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 01:50 PM   #9
alecgold
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belathor View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I might do that. I've done it before and the only problem was that it took a long time to coax the front edge off of the top cover.
Sorry to react so late, if you pm me with an email address I'll mail you the mbp service manual. step by step guiding you through all procedures.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro