Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 27, 2008, 02:24 AM   #1
Belathor
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
can't open macbook pro

Hi,

I put my macbook pro into standby and packed it up just like a hundred times before. Tonight however, I tried to open the lid and found that it was stuck. A quick google search revealed other people have had this problem. One person said that they took a thin object and and somehow coaxed the magnetic latch to detach. I'm not sure how they did that, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had the macbook pro stuck and how they went about fixing it. I've upgraded my hard drive, so I don't really want to send it in.

Thanks.
Belathor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 02:30 AM   #2
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601
 
Eddyisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
You can try a credit or business card pryed above the center of the release latch and push outwards on both sides.

disclaimer: I've never tried that.
Eddyisgreat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 02:44 AM   #3
macwall
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cupertino, CA
the magnetic latch is stuck. use a credit card liek the above poster suggested near the latch and then at the two corners.
macwall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 08:44 AM   #4
scienide09
macrumors 65816
 
scienide09's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
The MBP doesn't have a magnetic latch.

Use a credit card or other stiff, thin tool. Insert it above the latch release button, depress the button, and slide the tool toward each of the catches, first one side, then the other. Hopefully this will help you.
__________________
I'm a librarian.
iMac 27" i7 2.8 | mid-2011 MBA | iPhone 8GB (original) | iPhone 5 (black) | Backup: RAID-1 640GB NAS.
scienide09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Belathor
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Thanks for your help, everyone. I got it open with my grocery card. I haven't tried closing it yet. I'm going to try getting a paperclip and see if I can dislodge something inside the two latch crevasses.
Belathor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:13 AM   #6
alecgold
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by scienide09 View Post
The MBP doesn't have a magnetic latch.

Use a credit card or other stiff, thin tool. Insert it above the latch release button, depress the button, and slide the tool toward each of the catches, first one side, then the other. Hopefully this will help you.

It does have a magnetic latch, the magnetic taking care of the two little latches coming out of the screen, not the actual closing.
but the latches can get stuck, haven't had it myself, but have read it before.
but your description for getting it loose is certainly right.
alecgold is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:16 AM   #7
alecgold
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belathor View Post
Thanks for your help, everyone. I got it open with my grocery card. I haven't tried closing it yet. I'm going to try getting a paperclip and see if I can dislodge something inside the two latch crevasses.
be caurefull with paperclips, it would be more wise to softy vacuum it, but not with the hoover/vacuum cleaner.
Best thing would be to open the case and clean out the complete laptop, but that takes some nerves, a good phillips screw driver and a Torx T6 one.
I've done it serveral times to replace my fan, HDD for a 320, and now for a 500Gb one, (I've got a 17", that fits a 12mm as well) and if you are carefull and follow the instruction, there is no trouble.
alecgold is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:21 AM   #8
Belathor
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecgold View Post
be caurefull with paperclips, it would be more wise to softy vacuum it, but not with the hoover/vacuum cleaner.
Best thing would be to open the case and clean out the complete laptop, but that takes some nerves, a good phillips screw driver and a Torx T6 one.
I've done it serveral times to replace my fan, HDD for a 320, and now for a 500Gb one, (I've got a 17", that fits a 12mm as well) and if you are carefull and follow the instruction, there is no trouble.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I might do that. I've done it before and the only problem was that it took a long time to coax the front edge off of the top cover.

Last edited by Belathor; Aug 27, 2008 at 11:26 AM.
Belathor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 01:50 PM   #9
alecgold
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belathor View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I might do that. I've done it before and the only problem was that it took a long time to coax the front edge off of the top cover.
Sorry to react so late, if you pm me with an email address I'll mail you the mbp service manual. step by step guiding you through all procedures.
alecgold is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MacBook Pro: Unable to open any .app File integral93 Mac Basics and Help 9 Jan 21, 2014 01:21 PM
MacBook Pro Screen Open/Clean? fadetocasting MacBook Pro 0 Jun 28, 2013 08:51 AM
Bought Open Box MacBook Pro, Wrong Specs Jman14 MacBook Pro 34 Feb 24, 2013 10:55 PM
MacBook Pro Retina slow to wake when open lid yourdream MacBook Pro 23 Oct 4, 2012 02:32 AM
Applications Set To Automatically Open During Log-In on MacBook Pro mac.fanatic MacBook Pro 2 Aug 13, 2012 05:42 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC