Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Belathor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Hi,

I put my macbook pro into standby and packed it up just like a hundred times before. Tonight however, I tried to open the lid and found that it was stuck. A quick google search revealed other people have had this problem. One person said that they took a thin object and and somehow coaxed the magnetic latch to detach. I'm not sure how they did that, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had the macbook pro stuck and how they went about fixing it. I've upgraded my hard drive, so I don't really want to send it in.

Thanks.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
You can try a credit or business card pryed above the center of the release latch and push outwards on both sides.

disclaimer: I've never tried that.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
The MBP doesn't have a magnetic latch.

Use a credit card or other stiff, thin tool. Insert it above the latch release button, depress the button, and slide the tool toward each of the catches, first one side, then the other. Hopefully this will help you.

Belathor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Thanks for your help, everyone. I got it open with my grocery card. I haven't tried closing it yet. I'm going to try getting a paperclip and see if I can dislodge something inside the two latch crevasses.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
The MBP doesn't have a magnetic latch.

Use a credit card or other stiff, thin tool. Insert it above the latch release button, depress the button, and slide the tool toward each of the catches, first one side, then the other. Hopefully this will help you.

It does have a magnetic latch, the magnetic taking care of the two little latches coming out of the screen, not the actual closing.
but the latches can get stuck, haven't had it myself, but have read it before.
but your description for getting it loose is certainly right.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Thanks for your help, everyone. I got it open with my grocery card. I haven't tried closing it yet. I'm going to try getting a paperclip and see if I can dislodge something inside the two latch crevasses.

be caurefull with paperclips, it would be more wise to softy vacuum it, but not with the hoover/vacuum cleaner.
Best thing would be to open the case and clean out the complete laptop, but that takes some nerves, a good phillips screw driver and a Torx T6 one.
I've done it serveral times to replace my fan, HDD for a 320, and now for a 500Gb one, (I've got a 17", that fits a 12mm as well) and if you are carefull and follow the instruction, there is no trouble.

Belathor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
be caurefull with paperclips, it would be more wise to softy vacuum it, but not with the hoover/vacuum cleaner.
Best thing would be to open the case and clean out the complete laptop, but that takes some nerves, a good phillips screw driver and a Torx T6 one.
I've done it serveral times to replace my fan, HDD for a 320, and now for a 500Gb one, (I've got a 17", that fits a 12mm as well) and if you are carefull and follow the instruction, there is no trouble.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I might do that. I've done it before and the only problem was that it took a long time to coax the front edge off of the top cover.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I might do that. I've done it before and the only problem was that it took a long time to coax the front edge off of the top cover.

Sorry to react so late, if you pm me with an email address I'll mail you the mbp service manual. step by step guiding you through all procedures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.