Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Hi. I'm guilty of jailbreaking my iPhone over and over. Usually, I can get the iPhone update files to modify/jailbreak by choosing "Download only" whenever I wanna download, then Pwnage Tool does its thing and finds it. Now, where are these files saved? I can still see my old .ipsw files there, all the way to firmware 1.1.2. I have lost several gigs to these... Anyone know where I can find these? I've tried Spotlight, to no avail.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Do you mean Home folder as Macintosh HD, or as my user folder? I can't find iTunes in any of the Application Support folders.

bmlbytes

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
Vista

I'm not sure if this is for all Vista makes or just the 64 bit versions, but here is where the files are saved for that:

C:\Users\Your Account Name\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

or

%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

Just thought I'd throw that in since this is a result in Google

Blemvta

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
Wtf Library/itunes?

Ummm....In my Library folder, theres no itunes. Im pissed and i cant find a .Ipsw file either for jailbreaking my itouch.

DNSgeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
USA
/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/Recovery.ipsw

Replacing this file with another will not change what iTunes uses to restore your firmware. Apple seems to have closed off the ability to use alternate .ipsw files for "recovery".

Apocrathia

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
University of South Alabama
I can no longer find the restore ipsw file in ~/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates/
Did apple nerf this or something? I want to jailbreak my iphone again, but I don't want to lose all of my settings and everything.

SuperMacMan

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry to bring up an old thread... But...

I'm having the same issue as Apocrathia.

I'm on a Mac, I went to "Username/Library/Application Support/iTunes/" and there is only Plugins there.

So... Does anyone have any idea??

Joey1806

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
Sorry to bring up an old thread... But...

I'm having the same issue as Apocrathia.

I'm on a Mac, I went to "Username/Library/Application Support/iTunes/" and there is only Plugins there.

So... Does anyone have any idea??

I found mine in:

<User name>/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates

Hope this helps

palmtree

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2009
ipsw not in mac's itunes library

I have the same issue as SuperMacMan...

In ~username/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates/ I only see a plugins folder -- no ipsw files. I'm running a mac with leopard and have an iphone 3gs with 3.01.

Sorry for a newbie question but is there some special way to find it? Spotlight doesn't help.

Thanks

yoda00

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
Vista 32 Bit

Windows Vista 32bit stores it in a hidden folder. 1st you must enable to view hidden files (in control panel). Then go to
c:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\AppleComputer\iTunes\ipod Software Updates\

baldemarch

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
found it ^^

Hey there, I came looking for answers about where to find the ipsw file, so I tried all the routes you suggest and finally I found it

I'm on a 10.5.8 and I did this:

Open a terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

After that go to:

~username/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates/

you will find there both 3.0 and 3.0.1 files, copy to any folder you like and that's it.

Ps. If you can't cd to iPhone Software Updates, try typing iPhone\ Software\ Updates/

Hope this help!

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar

killall Finder

After that go to:

Confirmed. That iTunes folder is invisible, but instead of having to use the Terminal, you can go to the Finder, select the Go menu, select Go To Folder, and type in the path "~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates/" (without quotes) and the folder will open with all of the updates you have downloaded. "~" is the Unix term for your home folder, and does not need to be changed. You can then copy and paste an ipsw file to the desktop for easy use with another application.

Not too helpful that no one previously mentioned it was an invisible folder at first.

So far I'm trying to restore an iPhone that is having a fatal error (23). Everything online relates to people getting this error from a failed unlock, but this phone has never been touched outside of Apple. I think it's toast, but maybe it'll somehow be successful without iTunes. Anyway, redsnow does not like the ipsw files I pulled out of iTunes' folder, but then again I might be doing it wrong.

pabcbc

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2009
still cannot find those blessed files

On my Vista PC, have done everything recommended (reveal hidden files et al and I cannot see any ipsw files. When i try to d'load from itunes, it tells me that my iphone is up to date, so it does not dload anything. Is there a way to force download so that the file ends up on my PC ? or what am I missing ? thanks for help :confused:

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
On my Vista PC, have done everything recommended (reveal hidden files et al and I cannot see any ipsw files. When i try to d'load from itunes, it tells me that my iphone is up to date, so it does not dload anything. Is there a way to force download so that the file ends up on my PC ? or what am I missing ? thanks for help :confused:

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

In iTunes you hold the option button on a Mac when clicking Restore to browse for the location of the firmware update, so it's probably ctrl or shift in Windows to do the same thing.

MaggieAco

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009
http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

In iTunes you hold the option button on a Mac when clicking Restore to browse for the location of the firmware update, so it's probably ctrl or shift in Windows to do the same thing.

You don't know how much you've helped me this night with this post. I was trying to downgrade an ipod touch 2g back to 3.0 using vista. The guide found online worked. However it didn't indicate on how to access the ipsw file from iTunes and you just did. The shift key did it's magic. Thanks a million!!!:D

Ozamandiz

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2005
How to Reverse This?

Hey there, I came looking for answers about where to find the ipsw file, so I tried all the routes you suggest and finally I found it

killall Finder

After that go to:

you will find there both 3.0 and 3.0.1 files, copy to any folder you like and that's it.

Ps. If you can't cd to iPhone Software Updates, try typing iPhone\ Software\ Updates/

Hope this help!

How do you restore Finder after executing the Terminal commands?

Ozamandiz

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2005
Thans but I Would Like to Eliminate .ds_Store on Desktop

Thanks for your response. I wasn't clear on exactly what I wanted to do and I'm not an expert on Finder.

After executing the "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE" two things appeared differently. First there is now a folder named ".ds_Store" that appears in the upper right hand corner of the desktop, and second, when I examine the files on the hard drive the normally "hidden" folders like bin, net, dev, etc. now appear in a light gray color.

What I would like to accomplish is to return get rid of the ".ds_Store" folder on the desktop, and eliminate the "hidden" (or protected) files when viewing the files on the hard drive.

That is why I wanted to reverse or restore the Finder view that was created when the "defaults write com..." command was executed.

Thanks for any help you can provide to this novice!

Paul

swisherdgr8

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2009
?

I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm using 9.2 in snow leopard with the most recent iPod touch firmware, but it really seems to be nowhere. It used to be in ~/Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates, but that folder seems to have disappeared. but...I think that my iPod cam with the firmware and I never had to download the new firmware. So maybe if I restore, it will have to download the update again.. :confused::confused::apple:

g33kazoid

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
Instead of finding the firmware locally

I jailbreak many ipods and iphones. Instead of finding the firmware locally, I just use this website: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
That website has all the firmware updates. These are restore files. Which is what you use to jailbreak anyway. I just download that and modify that restore file, and BOOM!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.