Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I'd like to check my Yahoo mail in Mail.app in Leopard and I can't figure out what settings to use... since it works on the iPhone, why wouldn't it work in Mail.app?

I did a search, but those posts are from a long time ago.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The Yahoo! Mail push setup is exclusive to the iPhone. If you want POP or IMAP access to Yahoo! Mail on your computer, you have to pay for it.

TEG

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
The Yahoo! Mail push setup is exclusive to the iPhone. If you want POP or IMAP access to Yahoo! Mail on your computer, you have to pay for it.

TEG

Damnit... I'm going back to gmail then... forget Yahoo... that's lame. I just hope Gmail comes out with Push SOON!

tallon

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland

Untrue. I access my Yahoo mail through Outlook on my PC and I don't pay anything for it. POP settings are accessed through Yahoo mail via Options -> POP Access & Forwarding -> POP Settings.

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
I'm sorry if its a dumb question,

but everyone says the server isn't supported and stuff for gmail to push yet, but then why did my nokia s60 phones always push my gmail?!?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Untrue. I access my Yahoo mail through Outlook on my PC and I don't pay anything for it. POP settings are accessed through Yahoo mail via Options -> POP Access & Forwarding -> POP Settings.

I don't see forwarding anywhere except for Yahoo PLUS which you have to pay for... sorry. Maybe you're such an old Yahoo member that the PLUS thing came out AFTER you signed up so they didn't charge you.

Attachments

• Plus.png
    Plus.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 987

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
I don't see forwarding anywhere except for Yahoo PLUS which you have to pay for... sorry. Maybe you're such an old Yahoo member that the PLUS thing came out AFTER you signed up so they didn't charge you.

I'm sure I remember this coming up before where I had these options but someone else didn't. Turned out I had the option because I had an '@yahoo.co.uk' address and the other person was '@yahoo.com'.

georgeoommen

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
I'm sure I remember this coming up before where I had these options but someone else didn't. Turned out I had the option because I had an '@yahoo.co.uk' address and the other person was '@yahoo.com'.

yup, thats right. POP and forwarding is free for yahoo.co.uk users and not for yahoo.com users.. strange i agree.. but probably just yahoo trying to entice people to take up yahoo mail in the UK..

martyosten

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
IMAP theoretically not supported on desktops

Many references point to this as an unsupported environment, but my new boss has been using it for months. I, being the good SE that I am, read the directions throughly and set it up as POP. Then 2 days ago during an upgrade, the pop server fell over, but not IMAP which supposedly only services wireless clients.

So, boss-man is steaming cause I should be getting this to work in IMAP (convert). Naturally, that would destroy existing INBOX entries, so dutifully squirreled those away, then proceeded with the new config. What, still not working!?

7 bloody hours, no way to get a hold of their phone support, websites reminded me of linked-list in assembler language, this morning I called the "civilian" Yahoo support line. Luckily only a few minute wait, AND reached someone with a pulse! Spoke English, too :)

During the Bizmail upgrade on their POP machine (I'll have a diet 7-Up), my entry was deleted (how? why?) so there was no way in hell of me getting this working.

20 years of UNIX and other stuff, and I find out I'm beating my head against the wall, cause I just don't exist. Hmm. What a concept? Belize?

Hope no one has this ever, or I'll see you later señor.

In a little cafe' just the other side of the boarder...
Marty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.