Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider recaps many of the circulating rumors which expect both iPod and Mac notebook updates in September. Some rumors have pegged September 9th as the possible day for at least some of the updates.

The iPod Nano and iPod touch are expected to see revisions, and long standing MacBook and MacBook Pro rumors point to revised case designs (MacBook, MacBook Pro) that adopt an aluminum/tapered look.

Newly reported, however, are expectations that the Apple iMac will see a refresh prior to the holiday season:
Separately, Apple is also planning to refresh its line of 20- and 24-inch iMac seasons ahead of the holidays. People familiar with these plans have described the refresh to consist of 'speed bumps' rather than major internal or external changes. Based on the roadmap presented to AppleInsider, these systems would debut later this fall following the release of the new MacBooks, making their way to market with little fanfare.
An iMac update would be contrary to expectations as the iMac is the most recently updated Mac. The iMac was updated in April of this year and introduced early Montevina-like technology. As a result, there would be only marginal improvements if it were updated to the most recently released Penryn/Montevina chipsets.

Article Link

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
it would be tragic to have aluminum macbooks, it kills the wifi range. plus it's nice to have the macbooks stick out against the mbp's, just as a substantial difference in appearance between lines. new form factor, ok, but keep the mb's plastic!!

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
it would be tragic to have aluminum macbooks, it kills the wifi range. plus it's nice to have the macbooks stick out against the mbp's, just as a substantial difference in appearance between lines. new form factor, ok, but keep the mb's plastic!!

Apple, make the MacBook Aluminium please.
I am sure the Aluminium MacBook would still have a good design.

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
I would love to see a notebook refresh. Specifically MacBook's. I am in the market for one to replace my Powerbook G4. The current Blackbook is cool, but the white models look and feel so cheap...

xix

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
I'm gonna go with "DUH" on this one.

I would love to see a notebook refresh. Specifically MacBook's. I am in the market for one to replace my Powerbook G4. The current Blackbook is cool, but the white models look and feel so cheap...

Macbook's what?

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
I don't know about all this. Seems like they'd be going hog-wild with hardware updates. After the MobileMess and CrappStore, doesn't it seem more likely Apple will pace themselves? There are some educated predictions, but timing is certainly suspect. I mean, really, a huge refresh of the iPod and Mac lines (less only mini, xserve and pro) all at once...

I guess we'll see.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
If Apple refreshes the iMac, its time to ditch the 20" LCD - go 22" for the baseline and 26" for the upper tier. Either that or make the baseline model $999 with the 20" screen.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Mac Mini

I own three minis in my family-we LOVE them-I know they are nothing compared to the iMac-but for what we use them for-they are great-none of us are hard core gamers anymore. Stable, Quiet, SMALL-PLEASE APPLE-gives us a new ones.... Schmegal wantssszzzz it...:apple:

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
iPods, Notebooks and iMacs... Oh my!!

Follow the Apple Brick road, follow the Apple Brick road!

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Newly reported, however, are expectations that the Apple iMac will see a refresh prior to the holiday season:
That's what I had originally thought. I should have stuck to that.

The iMac was updated in April of this year and introduced early Montevina-like technology. As a result, there would be only marginal improvements if it were updated to the most recently released Penryn/Montevina chipsets.
Not necessarily.

Since the 3.07 GHz Penryn is now 45 W instead of 55 W, this leaves room for a 3.2/3.33 GHz Penryn at 55 W, giving all models a 133/267 MHz speed bump (2.4 GHz » 2.53/2.67 GHz, 2.67 GHz » 2.8/2.93 GHz, 3.07 GHz » 3.2/3.33 GHz).

And also there are the quad-core (35 W 2.27 GHz, 45 W 2.53 GHz, possible Apple-only 55 W 2.67/2.8 GHz) Penryns that work with Montevina which could deliver large boosts in multithreaded performance if Apple decides to use them.

I also hope there's a GPU upgrade.

If Apple refreshes the iMac, its time to ditch the 20" LCD - go 22" for the baseline and 26" for the upper tier. Either that or make the baseline model $999 with the 20" screen.
Only if the resolution increases too.

I don't know about all this. Seems like they'd be going hog-wild with hardware updates. After the MobileMess and CrappStore, doesn't it seem more likely Apple will pace themselves?
AppleInsider says "a final phase of product introductions that will stretch over the course of the next two months," which means September, October, and maybe early November.

They also say the Mac mini and Mac Pro have not been seen on update plans. :(

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
I'd be gobsmacked if they do "bump" the iMac line again so soon, especially at a major event. That kind of update has a sneaky Tuesday release all over it.

Plus there are gonna be some very disappointed punters come September. There's been talk of the Mini, iMac, Pro, Macbook and MBP in one form or another and everyone's getting excited for their own wishes.

I'm not a gambling chap but the only updates I'd put any kind of faith in/wager on would be

iTunes 8
Minor Touch update (capacity and pricing- maybe plastic backs a-la iPhone)
Nano revamp

I do think something will happen to either the Macbook or MBP range but not both- and I'm not sure what that something might be either!!!*

* there's nothing like being vague as Hell, is there? :D

yorkshire

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
UK
I'm not exactly bothered about new imacs, but at least it another update which will hopefully make some people happy. I'll take a refreshed touch, and a nice aluminium macbook please!!

Scharpie

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Sweden
The wait is driving me crazy! :p
I want/"need" a new laptop now. I would probably be quite happy with a current macbook, but not at that price... it's too expensive for what you get (especially since there's a new one coming soon) :(

Oh well, I'll just have to wait a liiiittle longer...

Wouldn't it be nice if the macbook and/or the macbook pro would look like this nice mockup?
http://flickr.com/photos/elchinocudeiro/2802517685/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.