Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
So far, since the 3G iPhone launch and the launch of MobileMe I have had a pretty good run.
Not to many problems. MobileMe was working for me! I have been watching and reading daily posts on problems with the phone and MobileMe and I was feeling pretty smug.
Then it started to happen...MobileMe was not so Mobile and not so good for Me.
First of all my contact syncing failed me. All of a sudden syncing between iPhone and computers either way was not working. So I went back to the good old .Mac days of using a cable to sync my contacts.
Then today a couple of weeks after my contact problems my iCal stopped syncing between iPhone and computers either way causing me real problems with missing iCal entries on my iPhone that I had entered into iCal on my desktop. It caused me to have a double booking on two photo shoots.. not very good for me or clients.
Why all of a sudden should things go so wrong?
I have now resorted to syncing everything via a good old fashioned interactive cable!
I don't know about you but Apple's offer of extra MobileMe membership compensation seems to fall a bit short when my missing iCal entries have cost me several hundred pounds in earnings today.
Everything was going along so well for me then MeMobileMe became not so friendly.
I know many of you have been in the same situation but I am bloody fed up with Apple's inferior product.
:confused:

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Well, things like that do happen from time to time especially since it's a pretty new service that they're rolling out. Give them some time to sort it out.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Well, things like that do happen from time to time especially since it's a pretty new service that they're rolling out. Give them some time to sort it out.

How long do you give them? 3, 4, 7, 12 months? Its coming up to 2 months so far! Im not liking the idea that MM gets put out and we beta test it for them. As uncle steve said, maybe it was to many things to deliver in one go,

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I wouldn't rely on a $99 service if I was running a business.

Get an exchange server deal - you can find them anywhere online.

jjphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
The original .Mac service worked fine for me and the attraction of MobileMe doing the same over the airwaves meant no more tethering iPhone to computer.
I am back to square one now, back to using the service that .Mac offered.
I have just checked and in fact the iCal syncing appears to be working for me again.
MobileMe just doesn't do what it says on the tin!
I don't bother with push email, I use my own domain and pick up emails on my iPhone perfectly OK.
Until Apple sort it I am making sure I have always got my cable with me.

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
these aren't my own words, for better or for worse, but this is what I heard on twit or macbreak. Apple is a big company, but compared to others and what they're trying to do, they're woefully small. They've been releasing another major OS update every year or two, they're constantly updating the desktop macs, they have laptops, various ipods, the mac mini, the appleTV, the iphone, .mac and now mobileme, their various software products, and probably other things I can't think of right now. It is amazing that they do as well as they do with new products. And concerning mobileme, a) they never do public testing so they were hindered, and b) they probably could have had a decent release if they had launched it a little later. But who wants to be the one to tell steve they have to delay their product?

Apple is an amazing company, even if all of their products aren't perfect right away. I admit it's been a while and it's still not working for some people, but it's not like they're having beer and calling it a success. They're probably still working around the clock.

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
How long do you give them? 3, 4, 7, 12 months? Its coming up to 2 months so far! Im not liking the idea that MM gets put out and we beta test it for them. As uncle steve said, maybe it was to many things to deliver in one go,

Well, 2 months is not too long in my opinion as it does not affect the majority of users. Like any new service, they'll require some time to iron out the kinks and dinks in it. That's what normally happen when we are the first to purchase and test out the product. We'll find faults and they'll improve on it. Just like the first iPhone. :) It could be true too that there're delivering too many things in one go too.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Well, 2 months is not too long in my opinion as it does not affect the majority of users. Like any new service, they'll require some time to iron out the kinks and dinks in it. That's what normally happen when we are the first to purchase and test out the product. We'll find faults and they'll improve on it. Just like the first iPhone. :) It could be true too that there're delivering too many things in one go too.

With my first iPhone v1 (purchased 2 weeks after release) I started using Yahoo Push Mail (a new service at the time). All of us who did this had the very same problems. Almost identical. However, it was MAIL ONLY (non of the other features of MobileMe). I believe it took at least 3 months to get it to work properly. I think some may say it still has problems. But for me it finally started working quite well I was happy with it until I switch to MobileMe. I believe it was around 1.3 (can't remember firmware numbers of first iPhone) that finally go it working.

As far as MobileMe, I don't think it is as wide spread as Yahoo Push was. In that case we did not know who to blame. Yahoo, Apple or ATT. At least with MobileMe we only have Apple or ATT. I really do not think it has anything to do with ATT based on my experience with Yahoo Push and the current problems with MobileMe.

In my case I have been very happy with MobileMe and have had very little problems as compared to Yahoo Push (first few months). Just giving some balance.

benfischer

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Apple is an amazing company, even if all of their products aren't perfect right away. I admit it's been a while and it's still not working for some people, but it's not like they're having beer and calling it a success. They're probably still working around the clock.

So it's basically OK for Apple for screw up -- in a big way with everyone watching, after promising way more than they can deliver, and staging a misleading, if not fraudulent, demo -- but if Microsoft has a bad product release, they don't get any slack?

OK, then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.