Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 27, 2008, 06:06 PM   #1
hiphomemaker
macrumors newbie

G4 iBook screen goes black

I have a G4 iBook that until today has run fine. Today in the middle of a blog post, the screen turned a dark grey color and the computer was unresponsive. I was able to shut it down with the power button, but the next time I started it, the grey screen came back after a few minutes. I shut down and restarted several times and was able to save the most important data to a disk, during the brief moments when it was booting up. Then finally, it started up and ran fine for several hours, before the screen went to grey again. Now the screen is black. It won't shut down or start up and the fan just runs. Is the hard drive dying? what do you think?
hiphomemaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 09:14 PM   #2
techound1
macrumors 68000

It has the ominous sound of logic board issues. Unplug it and pop out the battery to shut it down. Put it back together and try to reboot. Anything?
techound1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:59 PM   #3
hiphomemaker
macrumors newbie

I have tried that a few times and nothing. If it is logic board, that is going to suck. A new one is almost as much as a paid for the whole laptop. Any other less depressing options?
hiphomemaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 01:49 AM   #4
California
macrumors 68040

Sounds like the logic board but reset the pram, too.

What model iBook do you have?
California is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs