Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:02 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Thurrott at it again: HP's iPod Moves Could Hurt the Indust...

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Thurrott at it again: HP's iPod Moves Could Hurt the Industry

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:03 PM   #2
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
I find it interesting how threatened the entire PC market seems to feel about this combination of forces. HP is a major player in the PC game, and the iPod is obviously a heavy hitter. If I made PC's in competition with these folks, I think I'd be worried too, and would probably try to go out of my way to make it sound like a bad deal to the consumers.

And btw - that guy's small type on his page was enough for me to want to stop reading almost immediately.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:17 PM   #3
Jimjiminey
macrumors newbie

first its good, now its bad. This guys a fool
Jimjiminey is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:29 PM   #4
kettle
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to kettle
This seems to have got them running.
In the U.K. the day after this was announced there was major iPod news coverage the problem is the only thing they will talk about is how bad the battery life is. Nothing about the HP deal. strange.
kettle is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:30 PM   #5
machinehien
macrumors regular

OMG, Paul you need to look in the mirror dude. You've become MS's prison bitch.

This must be really scaring microsoft if they're unleashing this much FUD in the press.
machinehien is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:31 PM   #6
Nermal

This guy just doesn't get it. He's complaining that people won't be able to play their WMAs on the iPod. Excuse me, but what WMAs? The HP computers will come preinstalled with iTunes, so users will rip their CDs into AAC, and will buy online downloads in AAC. Paul just doesn't like to see Microsoft losing, so he's making up all this rubbish in an attempt to get noticed.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:41 PM   #7
Chealion
macrumors regular

I'm going to have to buy shares in a clothespin company if this keeps up. I could make millions from the smell this buh... (you get the point) makes.

Febreeze ain't got nothing on me.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:50 PM   #8
1macker1
Banned

I wish all MP3 player would support all music file types. It is about choice, like MS said, but they dont offer AAC, so they are wrong too. If i want WMA, that's my business, and if i want AAC, then give it to me!
1macker1 is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 04:53 PM   #9
1macker1
Banned

Just because they have iTunes dont mean they own a iPod. How many other players support Apple's protected AAC files? There are thousands of mp3 players that support WMA, and i think that's the entire point.
Quote:
Originally posted by Nermal
This guy just doesn't get it. He's complaining that people won't be able to play their WMAs on the iPod. Excuse me, but what WMAs? The HP computers will come preinstalled with iTunes, so users will rip their CDs into AAC, and will buy online downloads in AAC. Paul just doesn't like to see Microsoft losing, so he's making up all this rubbish in an attempt to get noticed.
1macker1 is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 05:03 PM   #10
Nermal

Sure, heaps of other players support WMA, but they also support MP3, which is what everyone rips their own CDs into. The only reason for people to have WMAs would be if they've already bought songs from a WMA music store.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 05:06 PM   #11
machinehien
macrumors regular

what's preventing anyone from installing using WMP? No one's holding a gun to your head telling you to use iTMS or HP's pod.

How many crappy mediocre apps have been bundled with PCs over the year? They are legion and no one says a thing. But when it's iTMS, Paul screams heretic at the top of his lungs.

People are always saying WMA is about choice, but I've never heard anyone 'cept Paul gush about the quality. So if there's anyone with first hand experience with the WMA, I'm curious to know how good it is compared to MP3's and AAC.
machinehien is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 05:20 PM   #12
Blaaze
macrumors regular

in essence what this dude is saying...

"everyone should have a choice....as long as it's WMA"

Like some poster said before, "MS's prison bitch"
Blaaze is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 05:21 PM   #13
Blaaze
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by machinehien
I'm curious to know how good it is compared to MP3's and AAC.
WMA is better than mp3, but AAC is much better than both
Blaaze is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 05:57 PM   #14
kwtneo
macrumors newbie

choice or the illusion of choice....

Wanted to comment on the word 'choice' that people and companies are throwing around. When they say, "You can mix and match software and music player stuff. We believe you should have the same choice when it comes to music services.", the underlying implication is that choice is only available in the interface/player aesthetics for which a standardized format is played/manipulated, and not the format itself. Apple and HP both know and rightly so, that the format for legally purchased digital music is far from being standardized, and as such the use of the word choice with respect to how a format is played back in different players is irrelevant and misleading.
kwtneo is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 06:00 PM   #15
pgwalsh
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to pgwalsh
Quote:
Originally posted by 1macker1
I wish all MP3 player would support all music file types. It is about choice, like MS said, but they dont offer AAC, so they are wrong too. If i want WMA, that's my business, and if i want AAC, then give it to me!
I agree. Apple and MS are playing a game with the consumers...
pgwalsh is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 06:04 PM   #16
Moonlight
macrumors 6502

Xsqueeze me ?

When did AAC become a propriatary file type ? AAC is a standard like MP3...WMA is a closed system that microsoft OWNS!!! Talk about a closed file type !!! This guy needs to get his facts straight.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 06:19 PM   #17
rjwill246
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to rjwill246
MS maybe, Apple no!

Quote:
Originally posted by pgwalsh
I agree. Apple and MS are playing a game with the consumers...
Listen, it's really simple. Apple is using an open standard. MS is using a closed one but they want everyone to use that one. Apple is drawing a line in the sand and in so doing is inviting everyone else to use AAC! Simple. There is not one reason why Apple should go along with the MS hegemony on this issue. meanwhile, take all your WMA files and convert them and then put them in your iPod! It's a piece of cake. The issue that people are being locked out is silly! I have converted AIFF, MP3, WMA, AAC on my iPod and stored in iTunes. For Apple to embrace WMA right now is to have to pay royalties to MS and LOSE their whole game plan to MS. That's what Thurrott and Enderle want... for Apple to go away! Don't help these idiots!
rjwill246 is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 06:22 PM   #18
kettle
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to kettle
Re: MS maybe, Apple no!

Quote:
Originally posted by rjwill246
For Apple to embrace WMA right now is to have to pay royalties to MS and LOSE their whole game plan to MS. That's what Thurrott and Enderle want... for Apple to go away! Don't help these idiots!
That's the Badger!
kettle is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 07:03 PM   #19
LoopHoles
macrumors member

OMG! This guy is full of it! he's taking shots at apple (and HP), trying to put them down with false facts.

Quote:
Last summer, HP announced a sweeping push into consumer electronics and released more than 100 new consumer-oriented products in one day. The move drew a bit of press attention, but nothing like the front-page news assault that Apple Computer generated last week for its comparably weak announcement of expensive, new, and smaller iPod devices, portable audio players that won't be available for months.
Note: iPod mini shipping Feb. 16th. That's just over 1 month.

Quote:
With HP at its side, Apple has a chance to change the world (something that Apple has always promised but never really accomplished)
Again, what is it with this guy? Apple has changed the world many times over, especially in the past 5-7 years and definitely back in the 70s when Steve Wozniak built the first personal micro computer and Steve Jobs put it up for sale.

indeed, the MS and Windows zealots are quaking in their boots.
LoopHoles is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 07:11 PM   #20
pgwalsh
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to pgwalsh
Re: MS maybe, Apple no!

Quote:
Originally posted by rjwill246
Listen, it's really simple. Apple is using an open standard. MS is using a closed one but they want everyone to use that one. Apple is drawing a line in the sand and in so doing is inviting everyone else to use AAC! Simple. There is not one reason why Apple should go along with the MS hegemony on this issue. meanwhile, take all your WMA files and convert them and then put them in your iPod! It's a piece of cake. The issue that people are being locked out is silly! I have converted AIFF, MP3, WMA, AAC on my iPod and stored in iTunes. For Apple to embrace WMA right now is to have to pay royalties to MS and LOSE their whole game plan to MS. That's what Thurrott and Enderle want... for Apple to go away! Don't help these idiots!
I don't car for WMA any more than you. I agree that MS is trying to push it's own proprietary standard and I don't agree with it. That's their game.

Apple keeps competitors out of thier products. iTMS only works with iTunes. iPod only works with iTunes. No other music store works with iTunes. Well, that may not be entirely true, but you have to take extra steps. I think Apple should stay with ACC, but open up iTunes and the iPod to third parties. But that's Apples game.
pgwalsh is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 07:38 PM   #21
dloomer
macrumors regular

Doesn't he get off on the wrong foot with the very second sentence of his article?

Quote:
The move drew a bit of press attention, but nothing like the front-page news assault that Apple Computer generated last week for its comparably weak announcement of expensive, new, and smaller iPod devices, portable audio players that won't be available for months.
As far as I can tell, he's lying already. True, iPod minis aren't available until April ... IN EUROPE. If you add an iPod mini to your shopping cart in the Apple Store, it gives a ship date of Feb. 16.

Maybe this is a European site? Doesn't look like it though. Looks more like this guy is full of it.
dloomer is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 08:08 PM   #22
ITR 81
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ITR 81
Quote:
Originally posted by kettle
This seems to have got them running.
In the U.K. the day after this was announced there was major iPod news coverage the problem is the only thing they will talk about is how bad the battery life is. Nothing about the HP deal. strange.
Yeah and they probably didn't even talk about the 3rd party replacements??

Today on TechTv Screensavers one of the hosts who had his hand all bandage up fixed older gen iPod's battery in like 4-5 mins flat.
ITR 81 is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 08:32 PM   #23
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus

Ugh

Quote:
From Apple's point of view, the HP deal is a major milestone. iPods have sold phenomenally well, and with 30 million paid iTunes Music Store downloads, one could even argue that the Protected AAC format is on a roll by default. But the PC market is many times larger than that figure, and potential music sales to all PC users is an order of magnitude larger than anything Apple could handle by itself.
This guy says he has two iPods and has downloaded a bunch of tunes through the iTMS and yet he still has the gall to make statements like this with a straight face?

iTunes for Windows has been out for quite some time now, and Apple seems to be handling the sales just fine. This guy is unbelievable.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 09:12 PM   #24
nagromme
macrumors G4

AAC better than WMA

From Tom's Hardware Guide:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/consume...2/2u4u-05.html
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 09:33 PM   #25
rjwill246
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to rjwill246
Re: Re: MS maybe, Apple no!

Quote:
Originally posted by pgwalsh
. I think Apple should stay with ACC, but open up iTunes and the iPod to third parties. But that's Apples game.
It's a game to win then. Your pathway for them is to an ending not a growth. If that scenario took root you'd better come to love WMA 'cause it's all you'll have. It's THAT simple. Apple needs a lot of help mate, in order to get BIG enough to withstand the MS onsalught that would ensue. It might not be ideal, with you I agree, but it's not a level playing field and make no mistake about it.
rjwill246 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion