Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Aug 28, 2008, 02:30 PM   #1
rachelny
macrumors newbie

How to Update Apps using iTunes (PC)?

I'd like to use iTunes (on my PC) to update my apps. But where is the update apps button within iTunes?? I couldn't find it in the app store or anywhere else.

Thanks,
Rachel
rachelny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 02:32 PM   #2
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
In the Applications section on the sidebar, at the lower right section of the list of Apps, is a link to check for updates.

TEG
Old Aug 28, 2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Schtumple
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to Schtumple
As stated above, bottom right, how didn't you see that to be honest?

Also, if you go into the App Store on your iPhone/iPod touch, you can go into a "Updates" pane, that searches for any updates available, rather than using iTunes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	16853
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	132204  
Old Aug 28, 2008, 03:05 PM   #4
rachelny
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG View Post
In the Applications section on the sidebar, at the lower right section of the list of Apps, is a link to check for updates.

TEG
Yes, that's in the app store on the iPhone itself. I don't have a wifi connection so have to use iTunes on my PC and then sync. (When I try to use my iPhone to update, it tells me to do exactly this.)

I went to the iTunes store and clicked on "App store". On the lower right, I see a list of "Top Free Apps." There's no "check for updates" link.
Remember, I'm using iTunes on my PC. The reason is that I don't have wifi here so can't use the iPhone itself to update. Please help.
rachelny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 03:09 PM   #5
Mal
macrumors 603

Read their posts. In the sidebar in iTunes, not in the App Store, there's a section for Applications. Click on it. Then you'll see the link they're talking about.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 03:24 PM   #6
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelny View Post
Yes, that's in the app store on the iPhone itself. I don't have a wifi connection so have to use iTunes on my PC and then sync. (When I try to use my iPhone to update, it tells me to do exactly this.)

I went to the iTunes store and clicked on "App store". On the lower right, I see a list of "Top Free Apps." There's no "check for updates" link.
Remember, I'm using iTunes on my PC. The reason is that I don't have wifi here so can't use the iPhone itself to update. Please help.
As we said, "Applications" in the sidebar, not the AppStore inside of the iTunes Store. You should only be asked to use Wi-Fi if you are downloading something larger than 10MB, like Aurora Feint.

TEG
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:30 AM   #7
N20D5OH
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Read their posts. In the sidebar in iTunes, not in the App Store, there's a section for Applications. Click on it. Then you'll see the link they're talking about.

jW
First post.

I'm having the same problem. I HAVE clicked the link and it says there are no updates available yet if I connect via my iPhone through 3G it says there are updates but the particular app update is over 10 megs so I have to do it over Wifi or via the computer through iTunes. I'm assuming this guy is having the same problem. I think some of you should ask more questions and act less condescending. Maybe it'll help others more.
N20D5OH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:46 AM   #8
severe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by N20D5OH View Post
First post.

I'm having the same problem. I HAVE clicked the link and it says there are no updates available yet if I connect via my iPhone through 3G it says there are updates but the particular app update is over 10 megs so I have to do it over Wifi or via the computer through iTunes. I'm assuming this guy is having the same problem. I think some of you should ask more questions and act less condescending. Maybe it'll help others more.
You're each talking about different things. You seem to be having an issue with connecting to Apple's server. This is a known issue. Try again later.

So, yes, you have found the link. The OP has not and was clearly given directions on how to do so. You assumed incorrectly.

I think you should quit assuming. Maybe it will help you more.
severe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 01:52 PM   #9
N20D5OH
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe View Post
You're each talking about different things. You seem to be having an issue with connecting to Apple's server. This is a known issue. Try again later.

So, yes, you have found the link. The OP has not and was clearly given directions on how to do so. You assumed incorrectly.

I think you should quit assuming. Maybe it will help you more.
Touche, I see now that he said the App Store and not Applications, forgive me. I am connecting to the server though, it's telling me that there are no updates available for my account.

Still though, the post could do without the condescention.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 03:43 PM   #10
severe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Touche, I see now that he said the App Store and not Applications, forgive me. I am connecting to the server though, it's telling me that there are no updates available for my account.

Still though, the post could do without the condescention.
I've had similar issues, N20D5OH. I really would just try at another time. I believe I've read posts from members with the same issue.

Still though, when did the condescention begin? After the OP was given instructions the first time? The second time, with the visual aid? The third time, with the "rolls eyes" and further help? Or the fourth time, that again explains that it's in the sidebar?

What questions could have been posed, considering all knew exactly what the issue was and had given clear instructions.

(i've got off today)

Last edited by severe; Aug 26, 2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 06:59 AM   #11
N20D5OH
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I've had similar issues, N20D5OH. I really would just try at another time. I believe I've read posts from members with the same issue.

Still though, when did the condescention begin? After the OP was given instructions the first time? The second time, with the visual aid? The third time, with the "rolls eyes" and further help? Or the fourth time, that again explains that it's in the sidebar?

What questions could have been posed, considering all knew exactly what the issue was and had given clear instructions.

(i've got off today)
After reading from home, I apologize. My proxy was blocking the image and I never saw it. Anyway, I still can't update from my PC though. :/
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:24 AM   #12
severe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
After reading from home, I apologize. My proxy was blocking the image and I never saw it. Anyway, I still can't update from my PC though. :/
meh. No need to apologize. I was prodding.

At any rate, I have a suggestion. Try deleting the app from your library (in iTunes and on your phone) and redownloading it from the app store.

Lets us know how that goes.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 03:47 AM   #13
N20D5OH
macrumors newbie

Quote:
meh. No need to apologize. I was prodding.

At any rate, I have a suggestion. Try deleting the app from your library (in iTunes and on your phone) and redownloading it from the app store.

Lets us know how that goes.
Actually, it decided to work yesterday. Who knows why.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:50 AM   #14
tomasfc
macrumors newbie

2 Different things going on, causing confusion

Quote:
Actually, it decided to work yesterday. Who knows why.
When I got a new computer and switched over my itunes, the apps stopped updating (telling me to update). I arrived here because for the life of me I couldn't find that pane anymore. I knew what I was looking but couldn't find it.

The "Applications" menu item on the left was NOT there, and clicking on "check for updates" via the menu, checked for the latest version of itunes and of my iphone, but does not check app updates.

Finally, I found that under preferences (I'm using iTunes 9.0.2) there was a check box list of items to show or hide from the left vertical menu. Once I had restored the Applications menu item (and a couple more I had lost) updating was a click (or three away).

I am no newbie to computers, and the go to guy (unfortunately) for all my friends when they hit a snag. I have a Mac Pro side by side with my PC, I earn my living with them, but still I need to visit forums sometimes (many times) even for trivial things like these. So I know that even the most advanced computer techie sometimes needs someone with patience and thorough thinking.

Peace, Love and Patience.

Last edited by tomasfc; Jan 20, 2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: spelling
tomasfc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:40 AM   #15
severe
macrumors 6502a

Welcome to the MacRumors forums, tomasfc.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 01:36 AM   #16
NightOwl2011
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtumple View Post
As stated above, bottom right, how didn't you see that to be honest?

Also, if you go into the App Store on your iPhone/iPod touch, you can go into a "Updates" pane, that searches for any updates available, rather than using iTunes.
Alot of ISP's have metered content you can download from the itunes store, like music, apps, etc. Which is why I prefer doing it this way.
NightOwl2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:21 AM   #17
deipnosophista
macrumors newbie

I think the mention of the side bar was perhaps confusing, as I wouldn't have thought of where the button is as being on the sidebar.
deipnosophista is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 05:05 PM   #18
pinknyckiss
macrumors newbie

how to update apps on iphone through itunes

if you still need help this is what i figured out (if it's what you're trying to do):

-open your itunes and make sure your phone is plugged into your computer
-on the left side panel click on apps (towards the top under "library")
-at the bottom right click on "updates available" (there will be a # next to it)
-that will bring you to a page of all the app updates available for apps you have now or have had in the past
-just click "get update" next to the app and it will update!

----------

forgot to mention you will need to remember to then sync your phone again after updating your apps
pinknyckiss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:48 PM   #19
johnstryker
macrumors newbie

Where is apps on the panel?

apps is not on the left side panel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	untitled1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	305998  
johnstryker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:14 PM   #20
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstryker View Post
apps is not on the left side panel.
What version of iTunes are you using?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:41 PM   #21
johnstryker
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
what version of itunes are you using?
johnstryker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:31 PM   #22
mkamutzki
macrumors newbie

@johnstryker
It's at the top left

LIBRARY
Apps

Then the update info is at the bottom right of your screen as before.

Name:	Apps Location.jpg
Views:	1025
Size:	443.2 KB
ID:	309244
mkamutzki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:39 AM   #23
LeoMacRumorz
macrumors newbie

Update Apps using iTunes...

Thank you TEG! It was working fine for me...
Thank you Schtumple! For the image, it helps a lot...
LeoMacRumorz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 09:36 PM   #24
skysimone
macrumors newbie

How to Update Apps using iTunes on PC

hello. I have read every single thread in this post.. and there is definately no 'check for updates' on my itunes.
I know how to update the apps on the phone, but I've been told it's best to do it on the pc because it can crash your phone if you have hundeds of apps that need updating often.
On the lower right there is no 'check for updates'
on the left there isn't either

I have googled 'ow to update apps on itunes' and still no help

please help.
skysimone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:46 PM   #25
chriswasil
macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem. The screenshot one of you shared that shows "Apps" under "Library" in the top left corner is not what my PC shows.

Under my "Library," it just lists "Music," "Movies," "TV Shows" and "Radio." That's it.

This is really annoying because I have some large apps that will not update from the phone itself -- they can only be updated via iTunes.
chriswasil is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps