Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

That-Is-Bull

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
I unlocked my iPhone today and got a popup saying "No SIM card installed," and "AT&T" was replaced with "No SIM" in the top left. I couldn't call people or anything. I turned my iPhone off and on and that fixed it for a few hours, but then it did the same thing again. Restarted it again, fixed for a few hours, messed up again.

I'm using a last-gen iPhone with 2.0.2, which wasn't jailbroken today when the problem started but I just pwned it an hour ago. The third time the message popped up was about 15 minutes after it was pwned.

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
I unlocked my iPhone today and got a popup saying "No SIM card installed," and "AT&T" was replaced with "No SIM" in the top left. I couldn't call people or anything. I turned my iPhone off and on and that fixed it for a few hours, but then it did the same thing again. Restarted it again, fixed for a few hours, messed up again.

I'm using a last-gen iPhone with 2.0.2, which wasn't jailbroken today when the problem started but I just pwned it an hour ago. The third time the message popped up was about 15 minutes after it was pwned.

Confused...did the problem start before or after you unlocked it?

If before, maybe a bad sim, go to AT&T and they will give you a new one. If after, I would search in the hack forum for help as I have seen posts on this issue before.

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
The first two times were before I jailbroke it.

Maybe, but when I restart the phone it works fine for a few hours and I can call people and everything.

Still confused because it seems you are using jailbreak and unlock interchangeably. One can jailbreak without unlocking but one cannot unlock without jailbreaking.

If the problem started before you did a jailbreak and/or unlock then go to AT&T and get a new sim card. They don't charge for them, especially if you are having a problem.

That-Is-Bull

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
Still confused because it seems you are using jailbreak and unlock interchangeably.

I haven't used the word "unlock" anywhere. The "No SIM" thing happened twice today before I did anything to the iPhone, then I used PwnageTool to jailbreak it, then it happened again. I'm just saying that my phone is currently jailbroken, but jailbreaking isn't what caused the problem.

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008

Actually the second word of your original post as noted above was "unlocked." I'm not trying to argue with you here, just trying to be helpful. I now understand that you did not unlock but rather did a jailbreak.

Given that and that you are saying these problems occurred prior to jailbreaking, my prior advice stands. Go to AT&T and get a new sim card. Sim cards go bad all the time. This may not fix the problem but having had this very thing happen on more than one phone, this has been the fix for me each time.

Hope that helps.

That-Is-Bull

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
Actually the second word of your original post as noted above was "unlocked."
Oh. My bad, I meant unlock as in "slide to unlock." Surprised I missed that >.>

Go to AT&T and get a new sim card. Sim cards go bad all the time. This may not fix the problem but having had this very thing happen on more than one phone, this has been the fix for me each time.
Guess I'll try that then. You sure I'd be able to make calls and everything for a few hours after I restart my phone if the SIM card is bad though?

StoneColdSober

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Guess I'll try that then. You sure I'd be able to make calls and everything for a few hours after I restart my phone if the SIM card is bad though?

I can say that I have had it happen with prior phones, not iPhones but that is irrelevant.

I make this recommendation because it is the easiest thing for you to check first. When troubleshooting these types of issues I always try the easy fix first. In this instance that is a bad sim card as the problem began before you did a jailbreak. Given the symptoms you have described my troubleshooting steps would be as follows:

1. Do a hard reset (I think you have done this but may be wrong)
2. Replace the sim card
3. Do a full restore
4. Setup the iPhone as new
5. Setup appointment with genius

Numbers 3 and 4 are more time consuming, if you have time, you can try them first. And before doing number 5, you will want to restore to official firmware thus requiring number 3 or number 4.

Hope that helps.

shevi

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Maryland
I had this issue with my first (non-jailbroken) 3G. It turns out that the slot for the SIM card was slightly too big, so it would sometimes slip out of place (although you couldn't see that from the outside). A temporary fix is to shake the phone (hoping to get the card to slide back into place) and then to reset your network settings (which makes it re-look for the sim card). I did get a new phone once they saw the issue (when you held my phone up next to the sample one, you could see that the slot was slightly bigger). No SIM-related problems with my current phone.

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
I had the same problem. It was a bad SIM card. Just go to AT&T first and don't mess with doing a reset, etc. Just get the SIM replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.