Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:46 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Steve Jack at MacDailyNews rants about Mac Whiners

Category: Humor
Link: Steve Jack at MacDailyNews rants about Mac Whiners

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:50 PM   #2
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Quote:
Listen, if you bought an iMac first and foremost because it was $799, you've made a mistake. Please sell it on eBay immediately and go buy a Gateway, eMachine or whatever piece of crap some no-name Wintel box assembler is peddling this week. I'm tired of these cheap, Johnny-come-lately, discount iMac bargain hunters' whining and moaning. You're clogging my favorite Mac chat rooms, you're getting quoted by Wintel-leaning media outfits, and you're just plain annoying.
Sums up my feelings to the cheap Mac crowd quite nicely...
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:21 AM   #3
machinehien
macrumors regular

Hmm, I agree with most of the underlying points of the article, not quite sure about the tone though.

I don't think it's constructive to label entry level Mac users as Walmart shoppers either. I think the rise of so-called Mac Whiners is just a by-product of web forums. Go to any forum, people are whining.
machinehien is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:23 AM   #4
Nermal

That article's over a year old
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:27 AM   #5
nagromme
macrumors G4

I welcome Mac users no matter what their income or "education"

Mac whiners may be annoying... Mac elitists are worse. I found the article offensive, and suggest that it's not worth giving the hits to it.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:48 AM   #6
Blaaze
macrumors regular

Re: I welcome Mac users no matter what their income or "education"

Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
I found the article offensive, and suggest that it's not worth giving the hits to it.
I agree.
Blaaze is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:51 AM   #7
SilvorX
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to SilvorX Send a message via AIM to SilvorX
I agree to some of it, but I myself am a student, so I can't afford much, I never whined when my iBook was phased out for G4 iBooks earlier this year, sure the price was heck alot cheaper but not everything stays middle of the line forever
Old Jan 14, 2004, 01:36 AM   #8
machinehien
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Nermal
That article's over a year old
Why did this even get posted then? I knew something was off when he was talking about people buying $799 iMacs and the "Switch" campaign in the present tense. LOL
machinehien is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2004, 03:27 AM   #9
MoparShaha
macrumors 68000

I agree with the article in principle. Here on the forums, there are many of these "new" Mac users who complain about software prices. I think it's rediculous. You can't expect great things for free. Some of these people feel it's their birthright to get free software.
MoparShaha is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2004, 04:39 AM   #10
Vonnie
macrumors regular

I think it is really dangerous if you stop giving Apple feedback on what you want. If nobody complained about the price (or "whined"), Apple products would be twice as expensive. If nobody whined about the slowness of the software, Apple wouldn't waste R&D dollars on making their products faster.
Apple survives and makes great products, by listening to the consumer. Silencing the consumer, is silencing Apple.

The tone of some of the whining is like this article, elitist, arrogant, aggressive,.. That doesn't mean that all "whining" is bad.
Vonnie is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2004, 05:15 AM   #11
kettle
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to kettle
I think there is a real danger that if Apple makes too much of an effort at cutting prices then we will experience poor build quality and reliability more and more.

The hurdle is that P.C. users even when they pay high prices for ready built systems, they are still buying a load of crud. They like the feeling that everyone else is in the same boat in a hope that it will make them feel better for buying a computer that they have to struggle with to remain usable. They just don't want to believe there is an alternative.
kettle is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2004, 05:32 AM   #12
billyboy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by Vonnie
I think it is really dangerous if you stop giving Apple feedback on what you want. If nobody complained about the price (or "whined"), Apple products would be twice as expensive. If nobody whined about the slowness of the software, Apple wouldn't waste R&D dollars on making their products faster.
Apple survives and makes great products, by listening to the consumer. Silencing the consumer, is silencing Apple.

The tone of some of the whining is like this article, elitist, arrogant, aggressive,.. That doesn't mean that all "whining" is bad.
If Apple claim not to even read their own forum, why would a complaint or whatever on MacRumors get Apple's attention?

With every thread maybe there should be a sticky with a link to Apple support so that any postings that seem to sum up a general feeling, good or bad, are actually posted to where Apple definitely does pay attention. ie After the keynote, iPodmini had far more postings than usual and the tone was negative. Then the recent thread some days later was far more positive as more people seemed to have grasped what Apple are up to. I think that would hepl Apple out and give some extra positive spin to some of the many really constructive discussions on here.

As Apple grows its customer base, there is bound to be a change in tone of "discussions".
billyboy is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2004, 02:06 PM   #13
Waluigi
macrumors 6502

Steve Jack is a bastard

This article is really offensive. I have a lot of friends who use iMacs and iBooks, and are just as diehard Mac fans as I am. This article is really a slap in the face to them, telling them that because they didn't buy apple's top of the line machine, they are less worthy. This is really a horrible message, and I can't believe people are sympathizing with this Steve Jack. Shame on you.

--Waluigi
Old Jan 14, 2004, 02:47 PM   #14
machan
macrumors regular

that was one of the stupidest articles i've ever read, and i've been to the fox news web site before. the whole thing reads like it's 4 years late and it's grossly snobby...that's not a quality i appreciate in any computer user, especially mac users. i've been using macs for the better part of 15 years now and i like to get the best price and value on the mac merch i buy...and this goon thinks there's something wrong with me for being smart with my money? beyond that, i think it's assinine to chastise people who had the balls to switch to the mac (imac or G5, it still runs the mac OS, and that's what matters most) or continued to use macs when everyone around them was berating them (esp. in a workplace setting) for not using windows.

i guess this is the same thing as when your favorite indie band signs a to a major label. even if they are making better music, losers like this guy will bitch and moan about what sellouts they've become. it doesn't get much lamer.
machan is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion