Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atljogger

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2008
I use a drum plug-in with Garage Band called EZDrummer. I want to create my own drum arrangement from scratch instead of looping in presets. Past recording softwares I've used had a "drum map" or a grid where I click in boxes where I want the drum sounds to go at which time measures. I can create the entire drum squence before i start recording and then use EZD as the sound output. Obviously, this is different from recording drums live via a midi keyboard (which I don't have).

Is this possible in Garage Band?

ArticuloMortis

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
Yes

you have to use a midi program though. like guitar pro or tux guitar.
arrange it in there,
export midi,
drag and drop into the garage band window and adjust sound settings there.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
You can actually click in the notes in a virtual instrument drum track in GB too, but apparently you can't create a sequence that way. So you have to start with one of the supplied MIDI loops, then from there you can stretch it out, remove what you don't want and click in new notes while holding in the command-key.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Command+click anywhere on the track to create an empty region. Same thing (command+click) to input notes into your newly created region on the piano roll.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
..., this is different from recording drums live via a midi keyboard (which I don't have)...

GB has an input mode called "musical typing". The computer keyboard's "ASDFGHJKL" row becomes the white keys and the "QWERTY" row above are the black yes, Use it just like a MIDI keyboard. It s actually not all that hard to use.

To get the timing right use MIDI quanitatzation, set to maybe 1/16 notes. You can edit later. Set the tempo down so typing is easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.