Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 29, 2008, 04:40 PM   #1
cheapa55
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Should I keep or sell my Powerbook G4 12"

I am thinking about selling my wife's G4. I seem to be getting a LOT of interest in this little beast. Should I keep it or just sell it. Not really using it right now except for occasional internet browsing.

processor is 867mhz
640mb ram
running Tiger.

How much is it worth if I sell it?

Thanks for any advice.
cheapa55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601
 
Eddyisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
425-475+ easily, depending on external condition.
__________________
iCloud Logo Courtesy of : JiP
Eddyisgreat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 04:48 PM   #3
deputy_doofy
macrumors 65816
 
deputy_doofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Oh, I cannot see parting with my PB 12", even though I've had my MBP since 10/2006. Just me, though...
__________________
Damn dung from Samsung™, featuring Randroid™!

Sound the alarms! We have an eMerchantC!
deputy_doofy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 04:54 PM   #4
cheapa55
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
yeah, seems like it's fetching about that much. Great resale value.

Doofy, why do you feel like keeping it? and not parting with it?
cheapa55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 07:00 AM   #5
monkey86
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
im keeping mine

12" the 'best' portable apple made aesthetically and its solid.

my 1.33/1.25 is running leopard perfectly

even though i upgraded i still use it day to day and at work its awesome.
__________________
13.3" Blackbook Late 2008 2.4C2D,4,320,OSX/WinXP - iPhone 2G 16Gb Orange
monkey86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 07:52 AM   #6
skyrider007
macrumors 65816
 
skyrider007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangkok
Unless you're having financial difficulty, keep the PB. I think it's a classic machine. I even want one!
__________________
15.4" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 iPad 3G iPod Touch 16GB (2G)
BlackBerry Bold 9780 (white)
skyrider007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 08:39 AM   #7
monkey86
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London
if you think the resale is good now, imagine 2 years from now.

Keep it in great condition, safe etc and it will help you out in the future
__________________
13.3" Blackbook Late 2008 2.4C2D,4,320,OSX/WinXP - iPhone 2G 16Gb Orange
monkey86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 11:54 PM   #8
thebeesknees
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Unless you need the cash, I'd keep it. If you don't want to use it as a normal PC, there are great uses for it... If you have kids, give it to them. If not, or if you don't want to, try using it as a server.
thebeesknees is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:29 AM   #9
California
macrumors 68040
 
California's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
I solved my being in love with my slower Powerbook 12" 1.5ghz
(yours is even slower, sorry) by buying a Powermac G5 and an Apple Display.

I've been target mode booting the 250gb hard drive in my Powerbook (you should get one for you 867mhz) into the G5 and using it with the Apple Cinema Display and Leopard for backups.

So basically, I am running a G5 Powerbook (YES THIS IS THE breakthrough) and when I need the best smallest laptop Apple ever made to go on the go, I'm ready.

I'm a PPC geek, tho. And you know what i would do if i were you, actually? Sell it and get a used 1.5ghz 12" powerbook like mine. When you are on the go, it's got more maxed memory and more CPU.
California is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 02:13 AM   #10
grnsky
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Should I sell my maxed out powerbook for $525?

I have a powerbook that is just about the reach the end of Applecare (March 1st) and I've always thought I would sell it just before then because I don't want to deal with anything going wrong, but I'm starting to have doubts now. It's such a great machine and I even put in a 250gig hard drive myself. I also just got a replacement screen and logic board courtesy of apple which is really nice. I got an offer of $525 - should I do it??? or is this nuts!

I rarely use it but I do from time to time and when I dj it's really nice to have a laptop like this that is just powerful enough but not so nice that I be paranoid about taking it to a gig. Any suggestions??

Is it likely that some new thing is going to break within the next two years and cost hundreds of dollars to repair?
grnsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 04:41 AM   #11
tibi08
macrumors 6502a
 
tibi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brighton, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnsky View Post
Is it likely that some new thing is going to break within the next two years and cost hundreds of dollars to repair?
Most things go wrong early on (except hard disk faliure which seems to catch up with every hard disk eventually). If you've not had any problems I'd suggest running with it - just make sure you use backups!
tibi08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:29 AM   #12
grnsky
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I actually got my hard drive from OWC just about a year ago so it has two more years of warranty . Same with the RAM and it has a lifetime guarantee by them.

I guess I know I what I should do then. I just hope I don't regret turning this offer down come next fall if say laptops like this suddenly become worth practically nothing. But it seems like with the economy, people are slow to embrace the newest line of macs and ever better componenents.

Might as well ride it out and just do my best to take care of it on my own from here on in. If nothing else, a good second computer if the new thing I get ever has to go to the shop or I need to do a gig in a super filthy place.

Anyone else have a thought or two?
grnsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:18 PM   #13
clyde2801
macrumors 601
 
clyde2801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the land of no hills and red dirt.
Seems to me you've got a fair little mac netbook...small, light, portable, solid, with enough oomph to do browsing, email, etc., etc.

Best of all, it's already paid for!

My depression baby (1st gen) father finally ponied up the money for a g4 ibook, and I have to admit how useful it was surfing on a decent wifi connection with a 1.07 g4 processor and 3/4 gigs of ram on 10.4.

If I hadn't have done a hackintosh on my mini lenovo netbook, I probably would have gotten one myself for the price he paid for it.
__________________
I've found that the sanest question I can ask myself is 'Am I going crazy?' --Jack Robbins
2012 base 15" rMBP, late 2013 13" rMBP, 64gb gold iPad Air 2, 64gb gold iPhone 6+
clyde2801 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:32 PM   #14
macJC50640
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Send a message via AIM to macJC50640
Cool Keep it a while longer

I have a snow dual-usb iBook G3 and it still serves as a very useful machine for me. Just right for basic schoolwork (Word for Mac came with it). If I want I can take it to a hotel on a trip and use the free internet. Best of all, I have the 12 inch model and not the 14 inch, so its very compact. See sig.
__________________
iMac Aluminum 24 inch Early 2009, 2.66/4gb/640gb
iPhone 5 BLACK/SLATE, 64gb
iPad mini BLACK/SLATE, 16gb
+ many other old, useless Apple items
macJC50640 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 02:10 PM   #15
Pika
macrumors 68000
 
Pika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
I use my old white plastic iBook for download/upload stuffs via torrent 24h/7. So yes... keeping old laptops is useful.
__________________
2009 Apple Workstation
Pika is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:32 PM   #16
DavidG328
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
I'm debating this same thing. I LOVE my 12" PB, but I also wouldn't mind a new Mini. I'm thinking if I can sell my PB for around $400 (almost everything except the case and battery are brand new), then I can pony up the rest for the Mini. Tough decision.
__________________
2012 13" cMBP || 2013 21.5" iMac
DavidG328 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to sell my PowerBook G4 betaFive PowerPC Macs 6 Aug 7, 2013 02:40 PM
To Sell or Not to Sell - iMac 27" Mid-2011 Foreverbfc Buying Tips and Advice 0 Feb 5, 2013 01:12 PM
Price Advice: Hoping to sell Apple PowerBook G3 RedCroissant Buying Tips and Advice 3 Nov 8, 2012 01:31 AM
Price Advice: Almost new Titanium Powerbook, sell or keep? (Updated w/ pictures) nanotlj Buying Tips and Advice 24 Oct 22, 2012 12:00 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC