Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 29, 2008, 08:39 PM   #1
threezero
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
iPhone 3g SUDDENLY cannot connect to internet through wifi

i had high hopes for the 3g since i love my old 2g so much... but this many hardware and software problem with it is just unacceptable.

wifi through internet was working fine few mintues ago. But now when i went to try it cannot connect to internet but can connect to my local network.... I restarted my modern and my router... The thing all other wifi computer on the network is working A OK, JUST the iphone cannot go online. 3G is fine, I can connect but not wifi. This is the first time i've encounter this problem can anybody offer me a fix that does not involve restoring and having to reinstall all my jailbroken apps??

i reset the phone at least 10 times, regular reboot it a few times. turn it on airplane and back about 20 times. and sync it a few times too. Still everything is fine with the phone except it cannot connect to internet through wifi... help
threezero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 08:42 PM   #2
StoneColdSober
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
i had high hopes for the 3g since i love my old 2g so much... but this many hardware and software problem with it is just unacceptable.

wifi through internet was working fine few mintues ago. But now when i went to try it cannot connect to internet but can connect to my local network.... I restarted my modern and my router... The thing all other wifi computer on the network is working A OK, JUST the iphone cannot go online. 3G is fine, I can connect but not wifi. This is the first time i've encounter this problem can anybody offer me a fix that does not involve restoring and having to reinstall all my jailbroken apps??
Try a hard reset. That worked for someone having the same issue earlier.

And no offense, but it's not really fair to blame Apple for a problem that could very well be caused by the fact you have jailbroken your iPhone and/or jailbroken apps.
StoneColdSober is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 08:53 PM   #3
threezero
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
hard resets as in holding home and power button?? i did that several times already still its connect to local network but not internet. I don't see how being jailbroken can cause this problem. I've had similiar problems on PC before and its almost always hardware problem.

So this is a common problem? how come i can't find any thread on this.. i must suck at search. Any other suggestions??

Oh and does anybody know what the vibrate during startup means??
threezero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 08:57 PM   #4
StoneColdSober
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
hard resets as in holding home and power button?? i did that several times already still its connect to local network but not internet. I don't see how being jailbroken can cause this problem. I've had similiar problems on PC before and its almost always hardware problem.

So this is a common problem? how come i can't find any thread on this.. i must suck at search. Any other suggestions??

Oh and does anybody know what the vibrate during startup means??
The other fix I have seen for this issue is related to the DNS settings. Try this thread.

As for how jailbreaking and related apps could cause problems, that is sort of the problem with jailbreaking, you are relying on hacked code and anything could happen. Not knocking you for jailbreaking, just saying it is a risk one takes when one does it.
StoneColdSober is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:08 PM   #5
theblueone
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
i had high hopes for the 3g since i love my old 2g so much... but this many hardware and software problem with it is just unacceptable.

wifi through internet was working fine few mintues ago. But now when i went to try it cannot connect to internet but can connect to my local network.... I restarted my modern and my router... The thing all other wifi computer on the network is working A OK, JUST the iphone cannot go online. 3G is fine, I can connect but not wifi. This is the first time i've encounter this problem can anybody offer me a fix that does not involve restoring and having to reinstall all my jailbroken apps??

i reset the phone at least 10 times, regular reboot it a few times. turn it on airplane and back about 20 times. and sync it a few times too. Still everything is fine with the phone except it cannot connect to internet through wifi... help
You didn't say whether you changed anything about your iPhone right before this happened. Maybe you installed a new app? This could have been as far in the past as the last time you were at home on your network, or even before if it's possible that you haven't been connecting through WiFi for a while without even noticing.

As big of a PITA that would be, I agree that this sounds like a hard-reset situation. Honestly, if it were me, I'd do a hard reset and then experiment by reinstalling each new "jailbroken" app one at a time and then testing for WiFi connectivity. If it is one of those that is causing it, that would be a pretty good way to see which might be causing your problems. I'm not very familiar with the whole jailbreaking scene, myself, but could it be the very jailbreaking procedure itself that is doing this?

I also agree with the above poster about the source of your frustrations. While it may well be your iPhone that is the problem, jailbreaking has its risks. I would tend to look at the non-OEM side of the phone first if stability was an issue before blaming the product.
__________________
15" MBP 2.4 ghz 4 gigarams, 8GB iPhone c. 6/29/2007, Various other Macs, Pentax K10D with some lenses (some big, some small), Two cats, One wife
theblueone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:11 PM   #6
theblueone
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
hard resets as in holding home and power button??
I'm not sure what the above poster meant, but I meant hooking it up to iTunes and restoring. Then, maybe you could re-jailbreak your phone and re-install your apps one-by-one. Maybe you could try another jailbreaking application if such a thing exists (I imagine it does, but like I said above, I haven't trucked with them cats, so I'm not 100% sure).
Edit:Sorry about the no-multiquote, but posts 3 and 4 weren't there when I started post 5.
__________________
15" MBP 2.4 ghz 4 gigarams, 8GB iPhone c. 6/29/2007, Various other Macs, Pentax K10D with some lenses (some big, some small), Two cats, One wife

Last edited by theblueone; Aug 29, 2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: minutia
theblueone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:20 PM   #7
PoitNarf
macrumors 65816
 
PoitNarf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northern NJ
How did you determine that your iPhone is able to access your home LAN? Are you able to ping its IP address? Did you give your iPhone a static address? If you gave it an address double check your DNS settings. If you didn't give it a static address, do you see it in your routers DHCP table?
PoitNarf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:26 PM   #8
threezero
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
well i didn't restore it.... i chain restart it about 10 times. restart when it finish try internet, doesn't work, restart again using home plus power button method and it mysteriously started working again.

And I did nothing to the phone before it went haywire. I remember very clearly cause i was using safari 5 minutes before it started going crazy. I know I may have jumped the gun a little since i did jailbreak mine.. but looking at the bigger scene, seems like unjailbroken owners are not 100% satisfied either.


I think one thing you guys have to agree with me though... the 2g was a MUCH more stable and better built than 3g. I have a few friends and relative that still uses the 2g on old firmware unjailbroken. They have absolutely no complains about stability.
threezero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:28 PM   #9
threezero
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoitNarf View Post
How did you determine that your iPhone is able to access your home LAN? Are you able to ping its IP address? Did you give your iPhone a static address? If you gave it an address double check your DNS settings. If you didn't give it a static address, do you see it in your routers DHCP table?

i ping my phone with my mbp. and than i tried opening ssh connection and datacase. All worked flawlessly
threezero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:29 PM   #10
PoitNarf
macrumors 65816
 
PoitNarf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northern NJ
Have you tried simply forgetting your home wireless network and then readding it?
PoitNarf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 09:30 PM   #11
StoneColdSober
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
well i didn't restore it.... i chain restart it about 10 times. restart when it finish try internet, doesn't work, restart again using home plus power button method and it mysteriously started working again.

And I did nothing to the phone before it went haywire. I remember very clearly cause i was using safari 5 minutes before it started going crazy. I know I may have jumped the gun a little since i did jailbreak mine.. but looking at the bigger scene, seems like unjailbroken owners are not 100% satisfied either.


I think one thing you guys have to agree with me though... the 2g was a MUCH more stable and better built than 3g. I have a few friends and relative that still uses the 2g on old firmware unjailbroken. They have absolutely no complains about stability.
Glad it worked out for you.

In regards to the stability of the 1st gen iPhone, there were many issues with it at first. I think the reason there is more uproar this time around is people were expecting (and rightfully so) to maintain the stability that the 1st gen had with the release of the 3G. That obviously didn't happen out of the gate but I personally am confident that Apple and AT&T will get things straightened out.

Fortunately (knock on wood), I haven't had most of the issues people are complaining about. Either that or my expectations are not as high.
StoneColdSober is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 04:22 AM   #12
threezero
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
sigh.... its happening again..reseting doesn't work anymore. reseting settings within the phone didn't work. I'm just gonna take my g/f advice and leave it for now use 3g.

hopefully firmware 2.1 comes soon and make it more stable
threezero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 07:52 AM   #13
Dr. Cabrera
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Cabrera
dude this is clearly a problem with your home network, I don't understand how you can blame apple for your own lack of expertise

Try this, go into your routers settings and shorten the time your dhcp server gives out ip adresses ( should be under lease times )
If that doesn't work try to see if you are at least connected to the router ( under yoiur router or iPhones network settings)
Dr. Cabrera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 02:26 PM   #14
bedge20
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I disagree with this being a hardware problem. I am having the exact same problem on my iPhone, as is my father. I configured my phone on my home network when I got it 3 weeks ago and it was working fine. My father bought an iphone Friday and tried to use it on my network this weekend and it would not work. I then tried mine and it will not work either. I have changed nothing since I last used it on my home network. I have not touched the setting on my wireless router or my iPhone.

The only thing I have done is upgrade my iPhone software from 2.0 to 2.0.1. My father is running 2.0.2. Just be clear, I have tried everything threezero has tried including:
  • Resetting the iPhone
  • Removing the WiFi configuration and setting it up again
  • Rebooting my home network router
  • Comparing every setting on my iPhone to 1 of 4 working laptops connected to my home network
My father is returning home tonight and is going to try his phone in his home network, but I expect him to have the same problem there. I'll update this post if I have anything new to report.
bedge20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 03:00 PM   #15
question fear
macrumors 68020
 
question fear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The "Garden" state
Send a message via AIM to question fear
On my original iPhone I had this problem right after the 2.0 update. I finally fixed it by restoring the phone, and it hasn't reappeared since.

I could see that I was connected to a wifi network but couldn't connect to the internet at all. It happened on my home network, my local library network, and my friend's network, so I knew it wasn't just mine. Anyhow, I think it's a bug in the software, a restore might fix it...
__________________
Give blood. Play rugby.
question fear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:05 PM   #16
tomashi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
you could have just done a network reset on the phone. i've seen this fix it
tomashi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:22 PM   #17
bedge20
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I tried a network reset earlier today and it didn't fix it. Interestingly, my father got home and his phone works fine on his network. Maybe it has something to do with the existing networks configured on the phone when you do the software update. I'm out of town now, but I'll try the restore when I get home on Friday.
bedge20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 03:40 AM   #18
JackSpearo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I'm having the same issue, can't connect to any wifi... :-(
JackSpearo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:21 PM   #19
ninocalifa
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
It is not his network problem.

My iphone suddenly stopped the wifi services too. Not only at my home, but also at my work. I have many different networks at my work, and they all work fine, but I can not connect to any of them anymore.
So, as much as people do not want to blame apple on this, I do believe it is their fault.
Now here I am searching for a solution on the net that I will probably not find.
BTW, I did not jailbrake my phone, it is all original.
ninocalifa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 01:41 PM   #20
Dr. Cabrera
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Cabrera
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninocalifa View Post
My iphone suddenly stopped the wifi services too. Not only at my home, but also at my work. I have many different networks at my work, and they all work fine, but I can not connect to any of them anymore.
So, as much as people do not want to blame apple on this, I do believe it is their fault.
Now here I am searching for a solution on the net that I will probably not find.
BTW, I did not jailbrake my phone, it is all original.
before you go and blame everyone but yourself please tell us exactly the things you have done to try to fix this solution

also if you could try and post your iphone settings, ip address, dns servers, etc
Dr. Cabrera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 10:41 PM   #21
ninocalifa
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I didn't do anything. The phone is in the same state as when I bought it.
It was very simple. One moment was working, the other was not.
Like I said before. We have innumerous routers at my work, and all of a sudden it stopped connecting. I thought it was only there, but when I got home, it did not connect either.
ninocalifa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 04:30 AM   #22
snoopydoo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
SAME PROBLEM!

THIS IS RIDICULOUS, MAC FANS BLAMING THE CUSTOMER SINCE IT MIGHT BE DUE TO THIS OR THAT.

FIRST IT WAS WORKING FINE, SET UP AN OPEN NETWORK FROM THE MACBOOK. THEN I FINALLY ADDED A PASSWORD AFTER MUCH RESEARCH ON HOW TO DO THAT AND TURNED IT ON AND OFF. NOW IT DONOT WORK WORTH CRAP. YEAH IT S IS CONECTING BUT STATES IT CANNOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. WHO KNOW WHY. WHO CARES ABOUT ALL THOSE ROUND ABOUT WAYS OF FIXING IT. APPLE CLEARLY DOESNOT CARE ABOUT THIS ISSUE.

I LOVE APPLE, BUT IT IS A COMPANY YOU CAN ALSO HATE. (MY FIRST THREE IBOOKS WERE ALL DEFECTED, HENCE I LEARED SO MUCH ABOUT COMPUTERS, WHICH I CARE NOTHING ABOUT)

FIX IT APPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SENDING THIS TO SJOBS@APPLE.COM. NOT GONNA BE BUYING THAT IPAD ANYTIME SOON.
snoopydoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:57 PM   #23
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopydoo View Post
SAME PROBLEM!

THIS IS RIDICULOUS, MAC FANS BLAMING THE CUSTOMER SINCE IT MIGHT BE DUE TO THIS OR THAT.

FIRST IT WAS WORKING FINE, SET UP AN OPEN NETWORK FROM THE MACBOOK. THEN I FINALLY ADDED A PASSWORD AFTER MUCH RESEARCH ON HOW TO DO THAT AND TURNED IT ON AND OFF. NOW IT DONOT WORK WORTH CRAP. YEAH IT S IS CONECTING BUT STATES IT CANNOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. WHO KNOW WHY. WHO CARES ABOUT ALL THOSE ROUND ABOUT WAYS OF FIXING IT. APPLE CLEARLY DOESNOT CARE ABOUT THIS ISSUE.

I LOVE APPLE, BUT IT IS A COMPANY YOU CAN ALSO HATE. (MY FIRST THREE IBOOKS WERE ALL DEFECTED, HENCE I LEARED SO MUCH ABOUT COMPUTERS, WHICH I CARE NOTHING ABOUT)

FIX IT APPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SENDING THIS TO SJOBS@APPLE.COM. NOT GONNA BE BUYING THAT IPAD ANYTIME SOON.
Maybe you should buy another frickin' caps lock key with the money you save.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:57 AM   #24
tuknaits
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
wifi problem

i am having a particularly annoying problem with my jailbroken iphone 3G.. my laptop is connected to the wifi network but my iphone though shows connected doesnt get thru to the internet..
Please help.. have done hard reset n reset the network settings
Help
tuknaits is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:40 AM   #25
desilord
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Wifi suddenly stopped working on iphone 3g

I have a 3G phone with software version 4.2.1(8C148)
Modem Firmware 05.15.04
My iphone suddenly stopped connecting to Wifi. All other wifi devices in the house are working good.
Here is what I have done so far:
1. Hard Reset / Reboot
2. Restore
3. Reset Networking settings
Called Apple for help. They asked for $200 to help :-)
Any support from this forum will be appreciated.
Thanks
Desi..
desilord is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WiFi trouble/External devices connect but internet doesn't work VerdaTal Mac Basics and Help 0 Apr 6, 2013 09:08 PM
Wifi from TimeCapsule won't connect to internet on a PC Apple fanboy Mac Peripherals 1 Jan 15, 2013 03:46 PM
iphone 3 suddenly won't connect to wifi pleasehelp2012 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Nov 28, 2012 07:57 PM
iPod Touch: connect my iPod to internet via USB, and turn it into a wifi hub? wohdin Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 6 Aug 30, 2012 12:03 PM
iMac 5,1 won't connect to internet over WIFI. Running Tiger, HELP! Sup3rknova Mac Basics and Help 6 Aug 21, 2012 05:13 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC