Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
I was at OWC and saw this NAS they have: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Raidon/SL36202SLB2/

I can't seem to find any reviews. Anybody use it?

Also, I have a couple general questions as I have never used a NAS before. It says only Ext2, Ext3, Fat32 for file systems. FAT 32 is out because I have files larger than 4GB, so . . . what about Ext2 and Ext3? Can OS X read and write to them? How exactly does a NAS work?

I am looking to build a media server for my ripped DVDs and CDs, probably based off a Mac Mini. So, will this work for that?

I was looking at the Drobo, but at less than half the price this can suit my needs.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
ext2/ext3 can only be read reliably by linux, but that doesn't matter unless you pull the drive and plug it directly into your machine.

the option you care about its
Protocol CIFS/SMB, NFS, FTP

SMB is windows file sharing which will work fine with OS X.

the box will appear on your network as a computer with shared drives.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
ext2/ext3 is its internal storage system. it just means that NAS is running some sort of linux software on it. what happens is when create a share u present it as either CIFS/SMB for your windows hosts/MAC hosts

they will use either cifs or smb to read and write from that share over network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.