Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
I notice that G5 1.8 has dropped in price from at least one online retailer and today I noticed this at dealmac.com:

PowerMac G5/1.6GHz for $1,599 after rebate
The PowerMac G5/1.6GHz 256/80/SuperDrive/56k/1000BT desktop costs $1,799 at Micro Center Online. A $200 mail-in rebate knocks the net price to $1,599, the best we've seen by $50. Add $28.10 for shipping. Offer ends January 25.

>> The rebate is offered by microline, not apple

Given the limited time of the promotion (1/12 - 1/25) I wonder if this is the beginning of the selloff of low end inventory in anticipation of new G5s (ohpleaseohpleaseohplease)

:confused:

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
The dates are probably not a great indicator on a third-party offer. We usually look for offers from Apple that expire on a certain date.

Another thing to watch for, and I don't know where the guys get their data, is dropping stock levels on certain machines.

Right now, we would like to know if the stock quantities of G4 iMacs have been dropping. If distributors can reorder and get large orders fulfilled, that means lots of stock in the pipeline, and no new machines coming anytime soon. When the 15" Alubooks were coming out, Apple really let the bottom of the barrel get thoroughly scraped.

I'd like to know this because I want to know if a G5 iMac is coming out soon. If it's not, I might look for a used/refurb 1.8 single. I'd really prefer the iMac because the tower is so huge! but I certainly am not going to spend over a thousand bucks on another G4 - I'll stick with my Cube.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I hear you, motorola through the years has taught me patience if nothing else. im in the same boat as you but i want a new machine. funny how the new 1.8 singles have dropped so much in price.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
well if this continues who needs a G5 imac, maybe we will keep seeing cheaper pro towers and the next imac will be a 1.4 G4:rolleyes:
wow, do you ever talk about anything else, its like a broken record reading most of these posts.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.