Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:24 PM   #1
Osarkon
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Osarkon
Speeding Ticket Procedure in the UK?

I was just wondering how the whole speeding thing works in the UK these days.

If you get pulled over for speeding, do they issue you with a ticket there on the spot, or will they tell you that you're speeding, let you go and then you get a notice in the post weeks later informing you of points on your license and a fee?

Is there an actual 'ticket' issued on the spot, and if not, is it safe to assume that if you're not given anything on the spot you've just received a warning?
Osarkon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:26 PM   #2
bigandy
macrumors G3

You'll be notified you're getting ticketed on the spot, IIRC.

If you're *really* nice, polite, apologetic (and acknowledge your speed when they say "do you realise the speed you were doing?"), they can often let you off, and you'll hear nothing more.

For any speeding fine you have to receive written notice within 14 days.

Been doing something you shouldn't?
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:29 PM   #3
Osarkon
macrumors 68020

Possibly doing 42 in a 30?

Didn't actually realize it was a 30 because it was 40 on both sides of this tiny little village, and was most apologetic when I found out. I'm rather hoping it was just a warning I received.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:30 PM   #4
robbieduncan

This site has all the info you can ever want.

Note the 14 days is for a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) if you are not stopped at the road side. If you are stopped at the road side most likely you will receive a verbal NIP. After this you might get a £60 fine + 3 points through the mail after about 14 days. Or if it's a proper big speed they have 6 months to lay papers at court...
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:36 PM   #5
Osarkon
macrumors 68020

That website is a tad confusing.

Does a verbal NIP have to explicitly say I've been given a ticket and will be reported, or does the fact that a police officer has spoken to you at the side of the road count as one?
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:39 PM   #6
robbieduncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osarkon View Post
That website is a tad confusing.

Does a verbal NIP have to explicitly say I've been given a ticket and will be reported, or does the fact that a police officer has spoken to you at the side of the road count as one?
I wish you'd stop calling it a ticket: that's American terminology. No UK officer would say that. He/she would have to use a specific phrase. From memory it's something like "You will be reported for the consideration of the offence of breaking the speed limit". That would be a verbal NIP. Did they give you any paperwork? Normally if they are using their discretion and let you off they explicitly tell you that along with something like "this is your lucky day"...

Edit: here we go: Verbal NIP.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:42 PM   #7
northy124
macrumors 68020

If a police man pulls you over and depending on their mood you might get an on the spot ticket, But usually you just get sent a notice or something in the post within 14 days of the offence & if your like my dad a court date to go along with the ticket.
northy124 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:44 PM   #8
Mr.Noisy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Possibly doing 42 in a 30?
Don't know about being stopped but I got flashed by a Speed Camera at 07:08am on the way home one morning, within a week a little brown envelope arrived and a nice little letter telling me i was being rewarded for doing 43 in a 30 by receiving 3 penalty points and a £60 fine, or I could contest it in court (waste of time), Warnings are rare, but good luck
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:44 PM   #9
Osarkon
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
I wish you'd stop calling it a ticket: that's American terminology. No UK officer would say that. He/she would have to use a specific phrase. From memory it's something like "You will be reported for the consideration of the offence of breaking the speed limit". That would be a verbal NIP. Did they give you any paperwork? Normally if they are using their discretion and let you off they explicitly tell you that along with something like "this is your lucky day"...

Edit: here we go: Verbal NIP.
Sorry, I lack experience in speeding fines and terminology (which is probably a good thing really...)

Nope, no paperwork, and he definitely made no mention of being reported. Just said to watch the signs to avoid a ticket next time. I asked if that meant I was safe this time and he said definitely.

It sounds promising, but nevertheless, I'm paranoid.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:48 PM   #10
robbieduncan

Quote:
Nope, no paperwork, and he definitely made no mention of being reported. Just said to watch the signs to avoid a ticket next time. I asked if that meant I was safe this time and he said definitely.
You got let off. Basically he's hoping that you crapped your pants (which sort of seems to be the case) and the memories of this will be a more effective deterrent than a small fine.

And he's probably right. The two areas that removed the cameras and use Police officers who can act like this cut deaths more than the cameras.

Anyway you got lucky. Be happy!
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:52 PM   #11
Osarkon
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
Basically he's hoping that you crapped your pants (which sort of seems to be the case) and the memories of this will be a more effective deterrent than a small fine.
Naturally! I was fine until he pointed out I was speeding - I didn't realize it.

I rather like my clean license and hope to keep it that way.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:53 PM   #12
robbieduncan

Quote:
I rather like my clean license and hope to keep it that way.
As do I.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:57 PM   #13
craig1410
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Sorry, I lack experience in speeding fines and terminology (which is probably a good thing really...)

It sounds promising, but nevertheless, I'm paranoid.
Sounds to me like you've gotten away with it as you would normally be invited to accept a fixed penalty for such an offence. Perhaps the police hadn't followed proper procedure (eg. calibration of equipment) or perhaps they were just late for lunch.

I'm a bit jealous to be honest as the only time I've been done for speeding was from a mobile camera van when I got 3 points and a £60 fine for doing 72 in a 60 (dual-carriageway) on a glorious sunny day with dry roads and very little traffic. To me an experienced policeman wouldn't even have bothered checking speeds on that piece of road never mind prosecute. Total waste of time and just alienated me as a road user.

Thank your lucky stars and learn a lesson is my advice. Speeding at 42 in a 30 is pushing it I'd say. In my opinion it's better to do 100 on the motorway than 40 in a 30.

Craig.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 06:04 PM   #14
big_malk
macrumors 6502a

I was stopped in a similar way. The police hid behind a wall literally 5 foot from where the speed changed to/from 60... pretty dirty tricks to get their figures up if you ask me, but then people would argue speeding is speeding...

If they don't give you a ticket on the spot, your fine, different if it's a van with a camera in it or a permanent GATSO camera, where you'll get it in the post, for obvious reasons.

The 'ticket', whatever it's actual name, is actually an offer that instead of contesting it you will accept 3 points and a £60 fine, and not take up valuable court time where you risk a harsher penalty (I'm sure they don't word it like that, but that's what they want).

I'm told by a police officer that if you ask that they show you the record of your speed on their camera, and proof that it was calibrated within the last 24 hours, and they can't (wait till they measure someone else's speed ) your almost guaranteed to have your case dropped on technicalities if you wanted to take it to court...
big_malk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 05:57 AM   #15
Jav6
macrumors newbie

Pulled over for overtaking

I got pulled over yday for overtaking the car in front of me and as said by the officer going through a touchy red light. he asked for my license and done all the checks and then spoke to me for 5 mins

he did not give me NIP or paperwork. nothing at all

is that the end of it? or will I get something in the post?
Jav6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion