Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandersHokie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
I am liking the jailbreak but I am just wondering how I save everything when I update it so it will all be on my phone when it is updated.

thanks.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

I found some mac software to do this the other day. I forgot what it was called, so I don't have a link for you. Keep googleing. It's out there.

SandersHokie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
anyone know how to do it? when 2.1 comes out for jailbreak, i'd like to upgrade but save all my themes i've downloaded so when i upgrade it will automatically load my themes on my iphone 3g.

thanks.

modojojo

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
I've been looking to also backup my jailbroken iphone. I have so much stuff, It'll be an absolute pain to loose It, and then put everything back.

megamanbnmaster

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2008
I don't know about you, but i use customize to save my themes.

Customize has a backup feature and my Themes are usually manually created (w/ SSH), so i just use the backup feature, drag the folder to my comp, and then reset and download everything, then put back customize theme.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Use iBaReS, guys. It allows you to make full backups (including apps) or incremental backups, via OpenSSH. It is MUCH faster than iTunes (it does incremental backups!), more reliable (no more corrupt backups), and can restore data + apps after an update (using the aptly named 'Update Mode') ... Oh yeah, and it's free. :D

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Oops, I wasn't too clear, I think. I meant to say that iBaReS can do either full, incremental backups OR selective backups (e.g., ONLY apps or ONLY user data, etc) ...

Anyway, it's a great app. Sure as hell beats iTunes, that's for sure!

threezero

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
since i just updated to 2.1 I would like to add this to say about iBares

it DOES NOT backup appstore apps
it DOES NOT backup your themes

it did however backup my jb apps and some cracked apps that i ssh into the phone (not sync thru itunes)

I'm in the process of resyncing those apps to the phone thru itunes and than do another update thru iBares see if it will restore the app datas. my bet is that it won't and i will have to start with 0$ in motionXPoker again....

so just a heads up before anybody decide to rely on iBares solely for backup and no itunes backup.
but it did load back my old wallpaper, did not load my old them but categories configuration was keep. still thats easy to redo.... all my app datas on the app store apps? not so easy.

threezero

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
ok i did mutilple updates with iBares and as of not i do not recommend this to anyone. Yes it did save jb apps, but they do not show up in cydia. does not save the setting. half of the apps do not work. did not save any user settings. most importantly it did not save any app store datas.

all in all iBares not only did not do what it does it increase the amount of work i have to do to get my phone back to the old state.

this is going from a 2.0.1 to 2.1 upgrade.

iBares is on my too good to be true app list.

Lionheart

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Tampa, FL
ok i did mutilple updates with iBares and as of not i do not recommend this to anyone. Yes it did save jb apps, but they do not show up in cydia. does not save the setting. half of the apps do not work. did not save any user settings. most importantly it did not save any app store datas.

all in all iBares not only did not do what it does it increase the amount of work i have to do to get my phone back to the old state.

this is going from a 2.0.1 to 2.1 upgrade.

iBares is on my too good to be true app list.

I used AppBackup (in Cydia) before this update, hoping it would help me get all my apps back in. Even remembered to copy the restore file to my desktop this time :). However, it did not help me much. It appears that any backup program is going to be subject to failure if the firmware modifies how programs are stored, indexed, etc. Clearing out the MobileInstallation cache and restarting was required to get my apps back on Springboard.

The other issue that remains is that theme mods are inherently going to get trashed by any restore, so before launching into a firmware update, make sure you try to revert as many mods as you can, or at least get copies of what you need so you can put them all back in after the restore.

This is one of the prices we have to pay for coloring outside the lines. Anyone who mods their phone really should take the time to understand the basics behind what they are doing by researching a bit. The tools make it relatively easy, but every update has it's own set of challenges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.