Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use Growl?

• Yes

Votes: 50 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 15 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Nope, I disabled and uninstalled it
(came with Adium)

I saw no reason to have it

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I suppose there's not a particular reason I use it...I guess for stuff that I tend to put in the background (like iTunes or Colloquy or Adium), it's nice to have an app let me know when something needs my attention.

If you're struggling to find a good use for the app, my recommendation is for you to wait until you have a real need for it. Don't try to shoehorn an app into your workflow.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I use it, no particular reason i guess.. When NetNewsWire updates the badge in the icon doesnt really grab my attention right away, growl does...

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
yes, so i know when im emailed, when im IM'd, when my download finishes, when my compressed files are extracted, the itunes song playing, etc..

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
yes .. I use growl all the time, in fact im surprised by how many people have replied and said they dont use it much.

I'v gotten to the point where i depend on growl... its so useful for me. Sure i'll admit first time I didnt really know how to use growl... and i didnt like it and thought it was pointles to. BUT then I figured out how to get apps to install themselves into growl... and now i use it all the time

examples:
limewire tells me when my downloads done
Transmission tells me when my downloads are done
speed download, AGAIN tells me when my downloads are done
Adium tells me when i get messages and such (growl + adium is perfection)

TheVendor

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
Canada
I have it, but I don't find it to be all that useful... most apps that use it will give other sorts of notifications that an event has happened, so I don't really see the need for Growl.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I guess I'm missing something, but I see no value to add another program to do these things:
yes, so i know when im emailed,
...the Dock icon for Mail shows the number of unread messages.
when im IM'd
...the Dock icon for Yahoo shows number of unread IMs
when my download finishes
...the Download folder in the Dock bounces
when my compressed files are extracted
...the Archive Utility progress window closes
the itunes song playing...
...either right-click the iTunes icon in the Dock to see the current song, or I use a menu-bar control called YouControl:Tunes.

So what does Growl do that my Mac doesn't already do, out of the box?

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I use it.

It works extremely well with Adium, giving proper notifications, it's great with Transmission for letting me know when downloads are finished, and it's extremely customizable so you can make it blend right in to your OS (I have an iPhone skin on it at the moment).

Everything seems to integrate with it without any problems, so it doesn't need maintaining.

Excellent piece of software in my opinion.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I think it's super handy - use it mainly with CyberDuck so I know when my file transfers are done. As I've been discovering Automator I now find it doubly useful to pop up notifications while my scripts run.

karabin

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008
Growl is usefull for me when:
- transfering files over Cyber Duck
- listening iTunes with YouControl

jsm4182

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2006
Beacon, NY
I really like the convenience of a central notification system. I use it mainly for ichat, gmail, firefox downloads, and acquisition.

rajalot

macrumors member
May 27, 2008
NO!

It's the most pointless and irritating application in existence! You all know those stupid pop-up balloons that come out of Windows tray to tell you stuff like "you plugged in a usb-stick" and you go like "oh no way I didn't notice?!" in very sarcastic manner. Growl is that, just worse. Click "next" in iTunes and Growl tells you that "hey dude j00 play anuther track" and you are like "right, I meant to u freaking brick". First thing I do when installing Windows is disable the tray pop-ups from registry altogether and first thing I don't do in Mac is install Growl.

pjrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Nope, I disabled and uninstalled it
(came with Adium)

I saw no reason to have it

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

You're one crazy man!

It's just part of my OS now, (like Quicksilver).
It works with nearly every program I have, and tells me everything I need to know :)

gusious

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2007
Greece
Yeah, i use it.

Mostly for apps in the background like mail,adium,transmission,downloads by Safari,etc....

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Nope, don't use it. Plan to though, looks useful for some applications (and annoying for others).

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I guess I'm missing something, but I see no value to add another program to do these things:...the Dock icon for Mail shows the number of unread messages....the Dock icon for Yahoo shows number of unread IMs...the Download folder in the Dock bounces...the Archive Utility progress window closes...either right-click the iTunes icon in the Dock to see the current song, or I use a menu-bar control called YouControl:Tunes.

So what does Growl do that my Mac doesn't already do, out of the box?

Well all of your options would require that the dock be showing all the time. Which for those of use who have it on auto-hide would mean we would need to stop what we are doing just to bring up the dock and see what the alerts say. Growl makes that unnecessary by just bringing up a message whenever something happens.

Who the hell is going to waste so much time that they are actually going to right click on the iTunes icon to see what is playing?! You may as well just open the main window. Plus having the dock showing all the time is a huge waste of screen space.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
You guys have sold me on it. Installing it now.

You better not let me down *shakes fist*

edit: It's a keeper. I should never have doubted my macrumors brothers and sisters :eek:.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well all of your options would require that the dock be showing all the time. Which for those of use who have it on auto-hide would mean we would need to stop what we are doing just to bring up the dock and see what the alerts say. Growl makes that unnecessary by just bringing up a message whenever something happens.

Who the hell is going to waste so much time that they are actually going to right click on the iTunes icon to see what is playing?! You may as well just open the main window. Plus having the dock showing all the time is a huge waste of screen space.

My dock IS showing all the time and it works just fine. Some want it hidden, some don't. I'd rather have a static dock than be constantly interrupted by messages popping up. That's why I use a pop-up blocker on Safari. I certainly don't want to enable one on Mac OS X! As far as right-clicking on iTunes to see the name of the currently playing song, that's an option, not a requirement. As I said, I use YouControl:Tunes on my menu bar, with pause/play/next/etc. controls, as well as a display of the current song. Besides, I can usually recognize what song is playing without having to read anything, simply by hearing it.

While I'm sure many will find a use for it, I don't see the benefit for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.