Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric.schaller87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
South Jersey
hi, i recently bought an Airport Express, and i finally took it out of its box after i purchased my new stereo. I connected the audio cable to the stereo and the airport unit and plugged it into an outlet. I opened up airport utility on my mac, AX appeared and i configured it to "join a wireless network". After completing the remaining steps, i updated it.. and waited for it to restart. Now here's my problem. It comes up with an error telling me it couldn't find the device after restarting. I have Verizon FiOS as my provider.. and I know that airport express has a history of trouble with the Actiontec router. Is there anything i can do with my current equipment to get this thing to work? I do not need to extend the network.. only join to use airtunes and print wirelessly... Also, my Actiontec router and FiOS connection are through my crappy dell pc downstairs, while i am using my 24" iMac upstairs in my bedroom trying to connect this. Should i change my router's settings? Thanks in advance :)

msprouls

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2007
Have you reset the Air-Express? I have always attached my express physically to the network to configure it and then move it to the location where I want to use it.

eric.schaller87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
South Jersey
Have you reset the Air-Express? I have always attached my express physically to the network to configure it and then move it to the location where I want to use it.

yea i have.. multiple times.. and it shows up again but i try configuring it.. and the same thing happens

romeo4444

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2008
Airport Express / Fios?

Eric, I have the same issue after switching over to Fios w/ Airport Express. Were you ever able to find a solution after it restarts?

rip.syd

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
bump

Bumping this,

It seems airports cause a lot of problems,
the only way i can get my mac to recognize/find the airport express is if i physically go and hold the reset button for 10 seconds on the device...

then, same problem, after the device restarts, my comp cannot find it again, and the ONLY way ( that ive found ) for my comp to find it, is to reset, - thus repeating the whole process

it seems i can get my airport to play my itunes music, , but i cannot join my existing wireless network.

so i am forced to chose, have internet access and just keep AE. off, or have air tunes but no internet access whatsoever.

such a pain!
:apple:

etzio

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
same problem

rip.syd

I am having the exact same problem, only that I cannot even get the AE to connect enough to play iTunes wirelessly. How are you managing to do at minimum that , if when it restarts your computer cannot find it?

rip.syd

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
etzio

In order to get airtunes working i have to open the window that scans for the AE, when it is scanning, i go up and reset the device manually, then i rescan once or twice and it finally picks it up and recognizes it,

once i have found it, before going any further with the configuration,
i just open i tunes and in the bottom right corner there is this new available option to chose the remote speakers
so i select
Base station 0528s or whatever it is.
voila.

however, that = no internet access, and if i continue with the configuration of the device, airtunes becomes unavailable again once the device fails to complete that restart process or whatever happens..

tres difficult

if i figure out how to get it working,
ill post here

joggy

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Hate to bump an old thread but...

We recently went from cable to FiOS and now use Verizon's Actiontec router. Everything works except for my Airport Express units (they've faithfully worked for many years on my old network setup(s)...6.3 firmware fwiw).

Has any workaround been found for the AE's and the FiOS setup? I've tried absolutely everything (resets, setup via ethernet, admin util etc) and I just can't get these puppies to work with the FiOS wifi on this router.

In the past when making network changes, the Airport Admin util has always worked with a little omph on my part. Not with FiOS router though.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
Hate to bump an old thread but...

We recently went from cable to FiOS and now use Verizon's Actiontec router. Everything works except for my Airport Express units (they've faithfully worked for many years on my old network setup(s)...6.3 firmware fwiw).

Has any workaround been found for the AE's and the FiOS setup? I've tried absolutely everything (resets, setup via ethernet, admin util etc) and I just can't get these puppies to work with the FiOS wifi on this router.

In the past when making network changes, the Airport Admin util has always worked with a little omph on my part. Not with FiOS router though.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a similar setup except with an Airport Extreme today. I probably can try my airport express on it early next week to see if I can get it to work.

I'm assuming that you are plugging the AE into the Actiontec directly and then trying to serve wireless that way.

Any other details about the problems you are having would be great.

joggy

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for checking, MooneyFlyer.

Actually I've tried quite a few methods but my goal is to have the AE's setup and receiving streams via my wifi off the Verizon router (M1424WR). Initially I did try plugging it via ethernet right into the router and I was able to set it up to join my wireless network using WPA2. All was well until the AE's rebooted - no wifi.

Essentially I've followed these steps:

http://jpgmelodies.wordpress.com/2008/01/19/hello-world/#comment-10

I've also run through a reset setup via Admin Utility as noted in the Apple doc here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1731

I've been able to get these working in the past in my many network re-configs with many routers, but this Verizon Actiontec router isn't playing nice with the AE's.

Thanks

Oh, Go B's!!!!

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
Thanks for checking, MooneyFlyer.

Actually I've tried quite a few methods but my goal is to have the AE's setup and receiving streams via my wifi off the Verizon router (M1424WR). Initially I did try plugging it via ethernet right into the router and I was able to set it up to join my wireless network using WPA2. All was well until the AE's rebooted - no wifi.

Essentially I've followed these steps:

http://jpgmelodies.wordpress.com/2008/01/19/hello-world/#comment-10

I've also run through a reset setup via Admin Utility as noted in the Apple doc here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1731

I've been able to get these working in the past in my many network re-configs with many routers, but this Verizon Actiontec router isn't playing nice with the AE's.

Thanks

Oh, Go B's!!!!

Ah - I see. You are not planning to use the AE as a WAP -- but to stream music. I've honestly never done that so probably can't help you much. Sorry about that.

B's let us down a little last night by not capitalizing on their opps. Luongo played well. There's a whole thread on that already though.

joggy

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Just a follow up...seems to be an issue with the Actiontec router's security, specifically WPA2. Resetting it to just WPA has corrected the issue of my AE's connectivity to my wireless network. That coupled with my son configuring the AE's with his Macbook Air did the trick.

All is well again with AirTunes.

the mailman

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
Same Issues But with AT&T Router

I have the AT&T wireless router but have a weak signal and very slow transmission speeds at one end of the house. Can I use an AirPort Express connected wirelessly to the AT&T router to strengthen the wireless signal in that end of the house? If so, how do I set it up properly? The intent would be to be able to use my wireless devices (MacBookPro and other laptops, in all parts of the house.

Please help!

rummyrumgin

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2013
Solution!

after fussing around for many hours, I found a solution that resolved all of my problems once and for all.

The root of the problem for me was WIRELESS SECURITY. With the Airport Utility 6.2, it will automatically select 128bit WEP keys (104 bit encryption).

My old Bell/2Wire modem/router only supports 64bit WEP keys (40 bit encryption), so when I get to the screen where it says "you can close this window or wait for the Airport Express to restart", it never restarts and never connects.

I installed Airport Utility 5.6 and was able to manually select 40bit encryption which solved all of my problems.

If your router can use WPA2, use that. It's much more secure than WEP and you'll avoid these problems entirely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.