Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 15, 2004, 12:56 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Photoshop Currency Detetor Defeated

Category: Tips and How To's
Link: Photoshop Currency Detetor Defeated

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2004, 04:27 AM   #2
0 and A ai
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to 0 and A ai
Detetor? I think you mean detector.
0 and A ai is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:35 AM   #3
ITR 81
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ITR 81
Big whoop.
I could have told you about all these techniques, but whats the point??
Most don't want the hassle of even if it only takes 2-3 mins. Also I doubt many people will have old ver. of PS in 5 yrs or so.
Adobe will update again and someone will probably defeat it again and then Adobe will update again and etc.....
ITR 81 is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2004, 06:26 AM   #4
gekko513
macrumors 601

Don't you think that the currency detector should be in the OS printer manager instead?

It should also just block printing of +/- 20% scaled notes.
gekko513 is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2004, 09:05 AM   #5
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

Yes, it should.

I know many people, including myself, who like to modify dollar bills for flyers or other self-serving purposes like replacing George with myself.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 12:08 PM   #6
Balin64
macrumors 6502a

We do coupons at my Company

I make humorous coupons resembling 5 and 10 dollar bills. By the time I am done, they look NOTHING like real currency of course, but I do start by scanning a real bill, then design it in PS. Big deal. We should all make goofy bill scans, put a digimarc on them, print them and send them to Adobe. Hey, at least Photoshop CS does not call home when it launches: unless they have found a way to deceive Little Snitch.
Balin64 is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2004, 12:12 PM   #7
gerardrj
macrumors regular

Big problems

To quote the Wired article:
Quote:
The Central Bank Counterfeit Deterrence Group provides the software as a black box without revealing its precise inner workings, Connor said.
It's fairly common knowledge that the BEP/Fed only release certain anti-counterfiet components of the bills to the public, such as the color shifint ink, colored threads, security thread, watermarks, etc. They generally will admit that there are other (many other) "features" in the bills to prevent/devtect counterfeits.

Now we have a problem... At least some of these other undisclosed features are surely built in to the black box, and the black box is in public hands and infinitely probeable.

Isn't it only a matter of time before a more serious counterfeiter uses the Adobe software to probe the counterfiet detector and narrow down which portions of the bills contain security features so they can be more easily defeated? Won't this in the long run yield higher quality counterfeits?
gerardrj is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2004, 02:47 PM   #8
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
i posted in the other thread, i use color copying equipment at work, and i decided to try. sure enough, it will say "bill detected", and print out a B/W copy at about 900% darkness, you can just barely see the image. pretty funny. tho, by turning it around in different positions, it didn't detect it some of the time.

not that i'm going to counterfit. and i know it's illegal to copy money. what i said above took place outside of US borders

it astounds me that anyone would possibly create a good enough replica to fool anyone else. but, people are stupid. reminds me of the beavis and butthead where they photocopied nickels, for a dime a copy.

paul
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2004, 03:08 PM   #9
0 and A ai
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to 0 and A ai
Quote:
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
Yes, it should.

I know many people, including myself, who like to modify dollar bills for flyers or other self-serving purposes like replacing George with myself.
personnaly i'd replace myself with Ben. Why waster your time with george?
0 and A ai is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:00 PM   #10
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Quote:
Originally posted by 0 and A ai
Detetor? I think you mean detector.
Crap.. I can't believe I missed that.

Verrryy Sorry about the spelling!

I can't believe I spelled something wrong... ARG!

I saw a person...have a TOTALLY fake bill... like wrong color... everything, I pointed it out when I got up to the counter, he didn't even understand the concept of a fake bill...

Anyway Blocking the Bills is a stupid idea.
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion