Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slothapotamus

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
UK
I've had this MacBook since April (this year). It's never been dropped, damaged or had any other problems (apart from a dead pixel which I can live with). Just booted it up a few minutes ago and it says, next to the battery icon, "Not Charging".

I've done a Google search and searched these forums but I haven't come up with any solution. I've tried taking the battery out and replacing it again, no joy. Is the battery dead? If not, how can I fix this?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Sounds a dead battery (likely a broken charging board in the battery), or a bad power connector with the battery. If you have an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Repair Center, have them take a look at it before you buy a new battery, because it may be something else you'd need that money to fix.

TEG

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you can run the computer without the battery, the AC adapter is fine. Then go and have the battery replaced. If that doesn't fix it, then they will probably replace the motherboard.

Slothapotamus

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
UK
It seems fine now. After googling a bit more I came across a tip that said to let the battery run down a bit further, which I did, and then to try recharging it again. My battery was currently at about 95% charged when I had the problem, so I let it run without the adapter for about 5 minutes then tried recharging. It worked fine. So just now I'm letting the battery run right down to see if that'll help further.

On a side note, the power adapter is working fine, as is the rest of the MacBook. So it looks to be a battery issue rather than the power supply. Hopefully it's sorted now though. MacBook batteries have a lot of juice in them. I've been running this thing on the battery alone for over 5 hours now and it's still telling me it has over an hour left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.