Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Sep 2, 2008, 03:09 PM   #1
jagatnibas
macrumors regular

.app in emulator

Hi all,
If I have only an .app file for a iphone program, can I run it in emulator ? if yes how ? what is the procedure ?

thanks and regards
Jagat
jagatnibas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 04:20 PM   #2
ThaBunny
macrumors newbie

No

The simulator is not an emulator. It doesn't run ARM instructions natively. It will only run apps which have been built specifically for it.
ThaBunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:20 AM   #3
jagatnibas
macrumors regular

demo

I need to send a demo to somebody, and i want him to see my application, not the code. How could i give him the only files that he can run on simulator and see.. what r the files and how to test

regards
jagatnibas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 05:03 PM   #4
DreamPod
macrumors 6502a

It can be done (as long as you build your app specifically for the simulator of course), but it's not something they designed it to do. I forget the exact folder and all, but if I remember right, the app is stored somewhere in the Development directory; just look for a folder with "Simulator" in the name. You also might be able to use the version in the Library folder, but I'm not sure of that, as that's a virtual file system of the Simulator itself. And of course you'll have to point the person at where they can run the Simulator directly, as there won't be a way to run it from XCode.
DreamPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 04:28 AM   #5
Sbrocket
macrumors 65816

The application folders for the Simulator are located under ~/Library/Application Support/iPhone Simulator/User/Applications. You can send someone the full folder in that directory (of the form XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX) and have them place the directory in that same folder on their machine (with the iPhone SDK installed). They can then access the app through the Simulator.

Note that NSUserDefaults settings will be carried over by doing this as they're located under XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX/Library/Preferences/, and any files your app saves will also be carried over as they reside in XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX/Documents/. If you don't want to transfer the settings or saved files to your testers, make sure to clean out those directories.
Sbrocket is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming