Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Sep 2, 2008, 06:16 PM   #1
digitalpencil
macrumors 6502

Nikon dropping mac support?!

Came across this:
http://www.hardmac.com/news/2008-09-01/#8774

Looks like Nikon are looking to partner with MS and tie people down to CaptureNX processing by abandoning .NEF for a new WIC-based .NRW raw format. Meaning that those of us using macs or aperture/lightroom would be kind of ****ed.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 06:33 PM   #2
SRSound
macrumors 6502

I find it incredibly hard to imagine Nikon would drop support for the platform that is the indisputable leader with creative professionals (photographers included). Unless MS is paying them an enormous amount of money, I think you can count on Apple support for a long, long time.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

I'm not getting too worked up about it at the moment - reading more about it, it seems to me that the new Raw format on the P6000 is aimed at the consumer / casual end of the market (in camera processing of Raw files!?) and they'll keep NEF support in the SLRs for a long time to come. If not, then I guess I'll be moving to Canon...
Old Sep 2, 2008, 06:48 PM   #4
Westside guy
macrumors 601

For the pro photo market - the high-end cameras - that would be suicide for Nikon. I don't see it happening.

Unfortunately for pseudo-RAW support in the Coolpix cameras, I think it's pretty obviously happening...
Old Sep 2, 2008, 06:55 PM   #5
MacHappytjg
macrumors 65816

i have a pathetic nikon camera and it doesnt import videos on iphoto does this have to do with them dropping support?
MacHappytjg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 07:54 PM   #6
digitalpencil
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHappytjg View Post
i have a pathetic nikon camera and it doesnt import videos on iphoto does this have to do with them dropping support?
No, this is in regard to RAW processing..

I really hope they don't.. as you've all said, I can't see it happening myself as they would be shooting themselves in the foot but I can't see why they're looking to offer RAW support to p&s anyway? Most in this range wouldn't know what to do with it but I guess they're trying to loosen the learning curve.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 09:07 PM   #7
taylorwilsdon
macrumors 68000

Nikon is not dropping Mac support. They're using a Windows only RAW format on a single point and shoot camera. Users can still (a) shoot JPG with their Mac (b) use any Adobe Camera Raw product when support is released (yes, it is happening) or (c) wait for Aperture / iPhoto to support the format.

Wah wah. I'm a Mac user and a Nikon user and I couldn't care less.
taylorwilsdon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography