Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Closed Thread

Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:23 PM   #1
troyman11
macrumors newbie

Tunneling?Using home internet at school

Hello, I'm wondering if i can connect to my home internet from school. I think there is this tunneling u can do... but will it let me play video games like WoW or go to websites that are blocked at school. My host computer will be my PC and my "client" computer my MBP.
troyman11 is offline   0
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:56 PM   #2
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyman11 View Post
Hello, I'm wondering if i can connect to my home internet from school. I think there is this tunneling u can do... but will it let me play video games like WoW or go to websites that are blocked at school. My host computer will be my PC and my "client" computer my MBP.
They teach WoW at your school? No? Then wait till you get home.
Les Kern is offline   0
Old Sep 3, 2008, 01:44 AM   #3
SC68Cal
macrumors 68000

You can either set up a VPN connection back to your home, or set up an SSH proxy. Don't expect fast performance since residential connections are asymmetric.
SC68Cal is offline   0
Old Sep 3, 2008, 01:47 AM   #4
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
huh?

How...how do you think you'd be able to accomplish this? The ping times would be ridiculous.
tdhurst is offline   0
Old Sep 3, 2008, 08:10 AM   #5
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

You're using the school's internet on their terms. Therefore talk to their IT staff about how to accomplish this. Good luck.

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking