Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 3, 2008, 08:27 AM   #1
iSaga
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Send a message via AIM to iSaga
Why can't my iPhone connect to my wireless network?

I try connecting to my locked wireless network and keep getting the unable to connect to wireless network message. I have put in the WEP key and always get that message, if I unsecure the network I can connect but not when it is secure.

Anybody know of a remedy for this issue?
iSaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 08:44 AM   #2
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Looks like there are some network problems. Search the other 2 threads about it this morning.
__________________
If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 08:51 AM   #3
iSaga
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Send a message via AIM to iSaga
My issue has been going on for weeks and has nothing to do with iPhone data being down in the US. I have 3G and Edge data with no issues, the issue I am having is connecting to my wireless network.
iSaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 08:56 AM   #4
arubinst
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lausanne - Switzerland
Are you using a WEP passphrase or the hex key?

Use the hex key instead and you should be fine. Your wireless AP/router should give you a hex key derived from the passphrase.
arubinst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 08:56 AM   #5
Joe23
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Wireless passwords are case-sensitive I believe, have you checked this?
__________________
Retina MacBook Pro (15" 2.3GHz i7 256GB SSD 8GB RAM), iPad 3 (32GB 4G Black), iPhone 5 (32GB Black/Slate)
Joe23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 08:58 AM   #6
Pared
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Make sure you're not using MAC filtering. If you are, it will not connect until the MAC address is in there.
Pared is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 09:00 AM   #7
iSaga
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Send a message via AIM to iSaga
Thanks to the previous two posters for trying to help, I am entering the hex key and I did enter it as case sensitive, still can't connect though. I have had this problem since i got the new iPhone, I have just kept my network unsecure. I wanted to secure it though and am still unable to connect my iPhone though. I can't figure out why.
iSaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 09:02 AM   #8
iSaga
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Send a message via AIM to iSaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared View Post
Make sure you're not using MAC filtering. If you are, it will not connect until the MAC address is in there.
Not sure I understand what this means, can you elaborate a little?
iSaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 09:03 AM   #9
Pared
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
If you don't know what MAC filtering is you're probably not using it. Don't worry about it.

EDIT: Not trying to be rude, FYI.
Pared is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 09:20 AM   #10
arubinst
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lausanne - Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSaga View Post
Thanks to the previous two posters for trying to help, I am entering the hex key and I did enter it as case sensitive, still can't connect though. I have had this problem since i got the new iPhone, I have just kept my network unsecure. I wanted to secure it though and am still unable to connect my iPhone though. I can't figure out why.
Passwords are case sensitive. Keys are not. Just make sure you're entering the key using the right format.

Are you entering the key like this?

A1:B2:C3:E4:F5

or like this?

A1B2C3E4F5

This last format is the one you should be using. I repeat, this is not case sensitive.

One other question. Are you using a 40 (64) bit key or a 104 (128) bit key. If you're using a 104 bit key, then you should have 26 HEX chars and not 10 .

One final comment. You really, really, REALLY want to use WPA instead of WEP. Trust me, using WEP or no security at all are more or less the same.
arubinst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 09:36 AM   #11
iSaga
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Send a message via AIM to iSaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by arubinst View Post
Passwords are case sensitive. Keys are not. Just make sure you're entering the key using the right format.

Are you entering the key like this?

A1:B2:C3:E4:F5

or like this?

A1B2C3E4F5

This last format is the one you should be using. I repeat, this is not case sensitive.

One other question. Are you using a 40 (64) bit key or a 104 (128) bit key. If you're using a 104 bit key, then you should have 26 HEX chars and not 10 .

One final comment. You really, really, REALLY want to use WPA instead of WEP. Trust me, using WEP or no security at all are more or less the same.
Thanks for the bit of advice, I really know nothing about this kind of stuff. I was using a 40 bit key and entered it like this..

A1B2C3E4F5 both case sensitive and not case sensitive, still unable to connect it.

Per your advice I switched to WPA. Thanks again.
iSaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5s unable to connect to wi-fi network Tech198 iPhone 0 May 20, 2014 07:25 PM
How do I stop people from attempting to connect to my wireless network? ozreth OS X 8 Nov 17, 2012 06:55 AM
iPhone 5 can't connect to WPA 2 network afurry13 iPhone 10 Oct 30, 2012 06:05 AM
Will my iPhone 4S automatically connect to 4G after network upgrade? Rodney2009 iPhone 16 Oct 25, 2012 03:42 PM
Windows 7 won't connect to Time Capsule wireless network...? MasterHowl Mac Peripherals 0 Jun 5, 2012 10:42 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC