Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 3, 2008, 09:43 PM   #1
redsox5992
macrumors newbie

Transferring iTunes library and keeping play counts

I am getting a new mac and I am wondering if there is any simple way to transfer my (18+ GB) music library to my new computer w/o losing all of my play counts
redsox5992 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 09:46 PM   #2
MasterNile
macrumors 65816

I believe just copying the iTunes folder completely and putting it where the default iTunes folder is on you're new mac will do this
MasterNile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 09:46 PM   #3
aross99
macrumors 68000

Assuming you keep your music organized in your iTunes folder, just copy your full iTunes folder form one machine to the other, and you should be all set. The counts are in the library files with the music...
aross99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Julien
macrumors 601

As long as you go Mac to Mac or Windows to Windows you can keep the play count (and all meta data). If you go from Windows to Mac you will lose play count and last play data metadata.
Julien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 08:15 PM   #5
nakamuramori2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 View Post
Assuming you keep your music organized in your iTunes folder, just copy your full iTunes folder form one machine to the other, and you should be all set. The counts are in the library files with the music...
everytime i transfer music to ipod, i have hard time.
i couldnt drag the musics to the my ipod icon. can you explain how to transfer musics? and if there is a same song, it will be transferred again ?
nakamuramori2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 09:18 PM   #6
kramden88
macrumors member

I just performed this operation two days ago with an incredibly good degree of success. I followed the instructions on this website (http://uneasysilence.com/how-to-back...indows-itunes/) and I was able to transfer all my music with an external hard drive without losing ANY tags at all. When I reopened iTunes on my new computer it was as if I had been using thie computer for years. I found that all my playlists had been retained and when I plugged in my iPod it recognized the music library as if it were on my old computer. It didn't have to change any files on the iPod.
kramden88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 05:51 AM   #7
bobbyrae808
macrumors newbie

Would this work using an ethernet cable too?Or preferably using dvd's from an iTunes back up.
bobbyrae808 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 06:09 AM   #8
PreetinderBajwa
macrumors regular

Similar question

Hi,

I used to sync my iPad and iPhone to my MBP, which I have a relatively recent time machine backup of. Since then I sold my MBP to replace it with iMac 2011 model.

Is there some way I could sync my iPad and iPhone with the new iMac without re-installing everything on my iPad/iPhone. You know when you connect the iPhone which is synced to another computer you get an iTunes warning that it format and reset and reinstall and does the user want to continue, even though the iTunes is logged in with the same iTunes account as earlier.

I intend to set up my new iMac fresh so I will not be migrating from Time Machine backup (My hope is to copy and move selective files from within time machine onto the iMac to get some settings back that would make iTunes think that iPad and iPhone were synced to the iMac)

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:27 PM   #9
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

I just did this very thing with the Apple Migration tool.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413

Worked wonders.. Transferred all the songs/data/movies/etc

Actually worked as intended

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store