Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:13 PM   #1
SirJ
macrumors member

power cord for PowerBook g3?

hey guys and gals, I've recently acquired a (rather old) PowerBook g3 (Lombard if you are wondering). However, I have by yet acquired a power cord for said notebook.
The laptop was free, but the power cord will apparently not be so I expensive. Basically PowerBook will be used for writing papers, other non-Internet stuff I need to do this year (senior in high school).
Right now I am using my iPod touch as my primary computer. My question is, should I go ahead and just pay the money for a power cord or should I just suck it up and wait until may-isu when I get a new notebook? Obviously I'd like to avoid paying a lot but would the money for a new cord be worth it? If not I could always use google docs for papers when I'm not at the house, how advantageous would having an actual notebook be?

Thanks for your help everyone
SirJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:01 AM   #2
jodelli
macrumors Demi-God

Until recently I had a G3 iBook. The original PS for it shorted out, so I dug into my spare parts bin and pulled out a Wallstreet (PDQ) power supply.

It's the same model that the Lombard uses and as it turned out the specs were very similar to the iBook's PS, enough that it could run it and charge it.

I'm just saying that any Apple PS from that period in the 45 W range should work, with maybe a plug or pin change for a couple of bucks at Radio Shack.
jodelli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 01:08 AM   #3
veganskier
macrumors newbie

You can buy them pretty cheap on Ebay. I bought one for my Pismo Powerbook recently for only $16.00- it's 3rd party but works great. You can also find the original yo-yo cords for $25. to $50.00.- if you don't like Ebay check www.ifixit.com they sell them for about $35.00. (similar to the one I bought on Ebay) I'd say getting the power cord would be worth it for what you want to do with it. My Pismo (the next step up from Lombard) does the internet fairly good. However, it's just my "writing" computer. (I have a new MBP for most things).
veganskier is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs