Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:50 PM   #1
thomahawk
macrumors 6502a
 
thomahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Osaka, Japan
Recommended Mac DVD Ripper

So far i have used handbrake and its pretty good for me right now.
THe program enables me to convert the dvd into anything i want, a mp4 or a avi. or even into a certain format like ipod or psp or some other format. i found this quite usefull

although i wonder what you other people use. as far as i know handbrake is what my friends recommended to me so i decided to use that. tho it takes me an hour to rip a dvd movei thats 1 1/2 hours. but i think its because of my drive. its a combo drive anyways (lol i know it sucks)

just trying to see if any1 has a better recommended dvd ripping program
__________________
flickr
thomahawk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:05 AM   #2
CANEHDN
macrumors 6502a
 
CANEHDN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sandy, UT
to rip I've always used mactheripper. It seems to work pretty well.
__________________
:Macbook Pro 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 9600M GT 512MB VRAM
:Gaming- i7-2600K, GTX 570, Ripjaw 8GB RAM, SABERTOOTH P67, Thermaltake Element G
I support the MacRumors Blood Drive!
CANEHDN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:13 AM   #3
ntrigue
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Send a message via AIM to ntrigue
Recommend MacTheRipper
ntrigue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 12:17 AM   #4
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomahawk View Post
So far i have used handbrake and its pretty good for me right now.
THe program enables me to convert the dvd into anything i want, a mp4 or a avi. or even into a certain format like ipod or psp or some other format. i found this quite usefull

although i wonder what you other people use. as far as i know handbrake is what my friends recommended to me so i decided to use that. tho it takes me an hour to rip a dvd movei thats 1 1/2 hours. but i think its because of my drive. its a combo drive anyways (lol i know it sucks)

just trying to see if any1 has a better recommended dvd ripping program

why would a combo drive suck? handbrake is very cpu based so the "slowness" is more likely you having a slower computer than having a combo drive

with that said if you want an exact copy of the dvd with no loss of quality and all the menues, use mactheripper. however, with it, each movie takes like 7gigs of space

you could then handbrake the file that mtr gives you. handbrake is a program that doesnt rip the movie, instead it encodes the dvd as a file. sorry if that is confusing

in other words, using mtr is like importing your cds using lossless format (wont lose quality) handbrake will give you a lossy file (such as mp4, avi, etc)

hope that sorta makes sense even though the analogy may be bad

i personally use mtr and handbrake in compliment with each other as opposed to using them seperately
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 02:38 AM   #5
thomahawk
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
thomahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Osaka, Japan
ok thanks i will take a look in MacTheRipper
the process of handbrake is probably slow cuz its encoding the dvd into a file
ripping the dvd directly then encoding sounds better
thanks
__________________
flickr
thomahawk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 02:40 AM   #6
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn
 
Eidorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cuidad de México
Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Handbrake actually converts the DVD to a compressed video format.

Keep in mind the MacTheRipper only rips the raw data.
__________________
Core i5 750 / 16 GB RAM / 500 GB SSD / GTX 970 / Windows 8.1
13" Retina MacBook Pro
Eidorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 02:56 AM   #7
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomahawk View Post
ok thanks i will take a look in MacTheRipper
the process of handbrake is probably slow cuz its encoding the dvd into a file
ripping the dvd directly then encoding sounds better
thanks
i bet it will still encode at around the same framerate... its CPU based so thats not really going to help you..
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 10:05 PM   #8
thomahawk
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
thomahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Osaka, Japan
alright so i found MTR 2.6.6 and now i hear theres this MTR 3.0 where can i get the MTR3? its not on the website and i also hear that it crashes often on Leopard so helps and tips any1?
__________________
flickr
thomahawk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 10:19 PM   #9
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomahawk View Post
alright so i found MTR 2.6.6 and now i hear theres this MTR 3.0 where can i get the MTR3? its not on the website and i also hear that it crashes often on Leopard so helps and tips any1?
HAHAHAHAHAHA

MTR3.0 is very hard to get, however it can be gotten (PM me).

it is MOST CERTRAINLY does not crash. it is extremely stable!!!
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 10:52 PM   #10
thomahawk
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
thomahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Osaka, Japan
alright thanks
so 3.0 r14i is the lastest one?
__________________
flickr
thomahawk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:00 PM   #11
sickmacdoc
macrumors 68020
 
sickmacdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomahawk View Post
alright so i found MTR 2.6.6 and now i hear theres this MTR 3.0 where can i get the MTR3? its not on the website and i also hear that it crashes often on Leopard so helps and tips any1?
Well up until recently you could get the current verison of MTR 3 (r14m) by joining the MTR forum at www.ripdifferent.com and explicity following the sticky notes within. However- ripdifferent.com has been recently totally redesigned and at this point in time there are NO forums on it.... don't know at all what is going on with that and cannot offer any other sources for it at that was the only supported place to acquire it.
sickmacdoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:05 PM   #12
sickmacdoc
macrumors 68020
 
sickmacdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomahawk View Post
alright thanks
so 3.0 r14i is the lastest one?
No, there are several versions beyond the one in those torrent links posted in the above referenced Rapid Library.

The current official supported version is r14m (although with the current state of ripdifferent.com I hesitate to say 'supported' right now).
sickmacdoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:07 PM   #13
61132
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
I have been using MacTheRipper and handbrake for a while now, they work fine. Right now I am using DVDRemaster and Fairmount. I have been getting FAR superior quality encodes, with a smaller file size! Does take a bit longer to encode, but thats fine with the quality I am getting. Wish they had a batch/queue setting.
61132 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:44 PM   #14
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble9012 View Post
I have been using MacTheRipper and handbrake for a while now, they work fine. Right now I am using DVDRemaster and Fairmount. I have been getting FAR superior quality encodes, with a smaller file size! Does take a bit longer to encode, but thats fine with the quality I am getting. Wish they had a batch/queue setting.
was going to consider getting that encoding software until you said they dont have encoding....
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:58 PM   #15
61132
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
was going to consider getting that encoding software until you said they dont have encoding....
Do you mean batch encoding?

Really it's not too big of a deal. I encode one episode, watch it, then by the time I'm done watching, the next episode is done encoding. I really do miss the batch encoding, but the quality far outweighs the inconvenience. The file size is about 30-70 mb less than the handbrake encode.

3000 kbps Apple TV settings. Single Pass
Handbrake


DVDRemaster

Last edited by 61132; Sep 5, 2008 at 12:07 AM.
61132 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:01 AM   #16
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble9012 View Post
Do you mean batch encoding?

Really it's not too big of a deal. I encode one episode, watch it, then by the time I'm done watching, the next episode is done encoding. I really do miss the batch encoding, but the quality far outweighs the inconvenience.
well when your trying to encode a good 500 tv episodes from DVD rips (on my HD) as quick as possible it would kind of make it hard in my situation.
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:09 AM   #17
61132
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
well when your trying to encode a good 500 tv episodes from DVD rips (on my HD) as quick as possible it would kind of make it hard in my situation.
Yea I see your point, try emailing the developer and maybe they will add it in a future version.

Have you ever had a problem with handbrake crashing? I'll set up some 50 encodes, and the 51st one I try to add to the queue it crashes, and I have to start all over again. Annoying, but still an excellent program.
61132 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:10 AM   #18
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble9012 View Post
Yea I see your point, try emailing the developer and maybe they will add it in a future version.

Have you ever had a problem with handbrake crashing? I'll set up some 50 encodes, and the 51st one I try to add to the queue it crashes, and I have to start all over again. Annoying, but still an excellent program.
never had it crash, i normally queue 1 dvd at a time... i didnt know you could queue multiple DVD's (always wondered, never tried).
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:13 AM   #19
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibble9012 View Post
Do you mean batch encoding?

Really it's not too big of a deal. I encode one episode, watch it, then by the time I'm done watching, the next episode is done encoding. I really do miss the batch encoding, but the quality far outweighs the inconvenience. The file size is about 30-70 mb less than the handbrake encode.

3000 kbps Apple TV settings. Single Pass
Handbrake
Thumb resize.

DVDRemaster
Thumb resize.
would you be able to SS me some of those but have the SS taken at the same time?? (QT would do it for ya)
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do not buy DVD Ripper for Mac noughte Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Feb 12, 2014 06:24 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC